Rift and glasses

Associate
Hi guys

Looking to buy the rift before the price goes up on Monday and wanted to get your thoughts regarding using the headset with glasses. I am short sighted so will definitely need my glasses and have heard that it is tricky putting on the headset with glasses and the whole experience of using the headset is uncomfortable.

I don't want to go down the contact lenses route so hoping my glasses will fit.

Cheers

Soldato
Use mine with glasses just fine. Not been at all uncomfortable and it's easy to put on and take off while wearing. Sometimes catch them when I take the headsets off, but very rarely.

Soldato
I'm short sighted too and have tried wearing glasses with the rift, which is says is possible, but I find it very uncomfortable, to the point that I don't do it. It also seemed to steam up quicker when I tried it with glasses, not sure if that's a thing or just coincidence. I also find it much much harder to put on and take off when wearing glasses.

However, I use mine without my glasses and from my limited usage I've not found it to be an issue. There's a real sweet spot I need to find with regards to the height the switch sits on my face though, slightly to high or too low and it's blurry. Not sure if this is standard or exacerbated by my short-sightedness.

Soldato
I have no big issues wearing glasses. I have short sight, astigmatism, and presbyopia - but funnily enough presbyopia is not an issue with the rift and I can use my distance glasses to read text that I'd have to use my reading glasses for in real life!

The trick with getting the rift on with glasses is to undo all the velcro, pull the headset headband so it expands back, put the rift over the glasses first, and then tighten up the headband. Same with getting it off. undo the straps and pull the headset away from the glasses and pull off.

I do plan on getting some prescription lenses or VR glasses though as it is more of a faff getting it on and off with glasses than without.

Associate
It's all about the size of your glasses. I wear quite small frames and have no real issues with the Rift, it just takes a few goes to perfect putting the headset on front-first like a gasmask.

But my brother found the Rift very uncomfortable as his frames are about 1cm wider, and had to get new glasses to use it for more than a few minutes.

Soldato
Hi guys

Looking to buy the rift before the price goes up on Monday and wanted to get your thoughts regarding using the headset with glasses. I am short sighted so will definitely need my glasses and have heard that it is tricky putting on the headset with glasses and the whole experience of using the headset is uncomfortable.

I don't want to go down the contact lenses route so hoping my glasses will fit.

Cheers

You can buy VR frames or lens adapters for the Rift.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

The frames are good because you just wear them. You don't have the problem of taking out the lens adapters when other people test out your headset.

Associate
Smaller rounder glasses where the arms are nearer the centreline of the lenses are better...

Mine are big think of the Two Ronnies style, they're too wide and get pressed into my nose. Also steaming up of the glasses is an issue, but just don't breathe through your nose and you're fine

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My normal glasses were slightly too large for a rift.
I took the easy option, dirt cheap £25 pair of small round glasses from Specsavers. As I'm only going to use them with my Rift, there's no requirement for them to look good or have any special coatings. A side benefit being that they're even lighter than my normal glasses.

Back
Top Bottom