Right Mobo for Overclocking Pentium D 805

Associate
I have searched the forums and not found any threads about this subject. I apologise in advance if this has previously been covered.

Am in the process of building a new rig and read the article about overclocking the Intel Pentium 4 805 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.66GHz (533FSB) in excess of 4 gig. I have seen the mobos that the original overclockers recommend, but these mobos are over £130.00.

I was wondering has any1 attempted the project with another mobo, that is available from OC?

If any1 has sucessfully overclocked the CPU using a budget mobo, please advise.

Associate
I'd be more inclined to suggest one based around an Intel chipset, Nforce boards are a little unpredictable with Intel CPUs when it comes to OCing (if my experience with the p5n32 is anything to go by!).

Perhaps the Asus P5LD2, P5WD2, or any of the 975x models, as you say, they are a little more pricey, but worth it IMO. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Personally i'd go for one of the more expensive 965 or 975 chip boards and use the 805 in that. you'll probably get the best overclock from one of those newer boards and you'll be able to upgrade to Core 2 duo in the future to.

Like you say they do cost a lot more but probably worth it for Oc'ing and future upgrading in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom