Rights following used car purchase (back street garage place)

Soldato
We bought our son a Mk5 2005 Ford Fiesta from a back street style garage about a month ago. My wife gave it a test drive and it seemed reasonable, except for a front tyre which was knackered and they replaced before purchase.

However since then the exhaust sounds a bit rattly as if it might be coming loose and the drivers electric window motor seems to have packed in as the window falls down by itself and the motor sounds a bit knackered.

Just before i ring the guy to ask about trying to get it fixed i just wanted to check what my legal rights were.

Should he fix the issues or since the car is fairly old can it be expected that it's just bad luck given the timing? I recall him mentioning a 3 month guarantee but think that just covered mechanical rather than electrical so wanted to check from the resident experts before i rang and agreed to anything.

Failing any agreement, i've had a look and it looks like about £80 for a new window motor which i imagine isn't too difficult to replace.

Soldato
OP
I don't recall the motor going bang (however i've not really been out in it much), it was making some grinding type noises.

Just to add that my sons still learning so it's not really been used a great deal since we bought it.

To be honest i didn't think that we'd have any rights as the car is still road worthy which from my reading was the criteria. However i'll give him a call and maybe we can come to some arrangement.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, i wanted to get a look at the window myself anyway as a mate can get me a whole regulator unit for £40 and i've been struggling to get hold of the seller.

Not sure whether it's best to start a new thread but i've removed the screw from the door handle (the opener not the grip thing) and then the 2 pop clips from the bottom of the door and i can't seem to see any other methods of attachment.

It seems to unclip around the edges, but something feels like its holding the panel onto the door around the middle but i'm struggling to find anything. Some guides suggest that theres a screw in the storge compartment at the bottom but i can't see/feel anything. Nor can i see anything around any other section.

For reference its a 2005/6 Ford Fiesta Style which has the electric windows, however a lot of guides seem to be for manual windows which may cause some differences.

Back
Top Bottom