• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP Gigabyte 7950! Seeking advice for a replacement

Associate
Hi all,

So my Gigabyte 7950 3GB died today after many years of faithful overclocked service! I need to order a new GPU and I'd like some advice on the brand or even a particular GPU. Here is what I'm after:

• £500 budget
  • Nvidia preferably (Simply because I've never had an Nvidia GPU)
  • Decent length warranty
  • Good RMA customer service
  • Gaming #1 Casual video editing #2
  • Suitable for 1080/1440 144hz AAA gaming
I'm currently using an i7 920 but I'll be looking to upgrade my CPU/Mobo/RAM either in April or once the AMD Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs have been released.

Thanks
Dan

Associate
OP
Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

It seems like AMD is the better option with the 2 additional free games and the value for money.

I assume going AMD Sapphire are the best choice?

Associate
OP
After hours and hours of research, I think I've found a good value for money combination (see my basket below). After reviewing benchmarks at 1440 for the vega 56/64 I thought it would be best to stay at 1080 to get every frame out of a 144hz monitor. I was very drawn to Nvidia after reviewing benchmarks but G-Sync monitors are out of my price range. Thoughts, please?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £561.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
Thanks all, luckily my brother isn't using his GPU so he'll lend that to me until 3rd gen Ryzen are released and then I'll place my order! I'm debating whether or not to wait as there is always something else around the corner but I think we are so close to the release of 3rd gen Ryzen!

Associate
OP
My brother forgot his GPU do I've ordered a Vega 56 Sapphire Pulse. Arriving tomorrow :D

Thanks for your help all! Now to wait for Ryzen 3xxx!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom