** RJKONEILL'S NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET REVIEW **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Hi Guys

As some of you may be aware from the huge media coverage over the past few weeks, the Nvidia Shield tablet has been announced and the tech media have gone insane over the prospect of a real mobile extension of the PC gaming platform.

As many of you know, I am a product purchaser for OcUK and am in contact with the latest gear on a daily basis. As such it takes something either hugely ground breaking or just down right interesting to grab my attention.

I had used the original Nvidia Shield some time ago at work for a while when an Nvidia representative bought his personal unit in to show us. It was impressive and I loved the integration but whilst it was a cool, multi use games console and mobile device, it was let down by being a little too focused for my own needs. I liked the gaming ethos behind it but having the screen built into the unit was clunky for anything other than gaming. To use as a tablet, or multi purpose mobile device, the first Shield was too compromised for me to consider as my only tablet device.

A while back, Gibbo attended a focused Nvidia event that launched Shield Tablet to key retail partners. He returned being massively enthusiastic having got hands on experience with early samples of the hardware and spent a day in the office being irritatingly enthusiastic about it.
At the time, there wasn't much public information surrounding the launch of Shield tablet and I must admit, I was skeptical especially given the limited information I had heard from Gibbo.

A few weeks passed and more info came to us alongside launch info that allowed us to set up the product on our systems ready for the official launch.

My interest peaked when I read about the speed of the tablet and the proposed RRP. I was looking for an upgrade to my 1st Gen Nexus 7 at the time and Shield tablet seemed to fit the bill.

Last week, Gibbo was informed that a special, Shield package was being sent to Overclockers UK for internal assessment and review.

Naturally I jumped at the chance to get hold of a tablet pre release. Nvidia had provided us with retail packaged end products with a full accessory pack so that we really got the full Shield Experience.

Our package consisted of the following:
- NVIDIA Shield 8" Tegra K1 2.20GHz, 2GB DDR3, 16GB Storage, 1920x1200 IPS WiFi Tablet - Android 4.40 KitKat
- Shield Tablet Cover
- Shield Wireless Controller for Shield Tablet
- Nvidia Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable

DSC_0658.jpg

I would class myself as a heavy PC user and hardware enthusiast that has mobile devices. to put things into perspective, my current static and mobile hardware setups at home include a mid range Nvidia based HTPC, a high end AMD based gaming PC, a Sony PS4, a LG Google Nexus 5 and an Asus Google Nexus 7 (1st Gen).
As you can see, my hardware choices are quite varied and there really isn't much brand loyalty when I consider my own purchases. I always buy whatever is the best solution for my budget.

Throughout my review, I will occasionally be using comparisons of my current hardware to highlight to you where I am seeing real benefits.

Nvidia Shield Tablet Cover
I usually avoid using my mobile devices with covers and cases. The main reason for this is that I dislike added bulk and am usually very careful anyway. I rarely have mishaps with my gear and would only really consider a case for a device if it was integrated well and added extra features without adding bulk to the external dimensions of the device. The Shield tablet cover is presented in a small box that highlights its multi purpose uses as well as presenting it well to the end user.
At £25.99, the cover doesn't break the bank either like a lot of official 1st party covers from other manufacturers. The Shield tablet cover snaps into place on the side of the unit using two strong magnets. This is more than enough to hold it firmly in place and it keeps the unit well protected without having to manually alter your unit to install. There is guidance tabs on the spine of the cover to stop movement, as well as a hinge that allows the cover to be folded over easily to double up as a stand.

DSC_0680.jpg

The front of the cover is a hard wearing plastic that covers the whole front face of the device. To the rear of this is a soft lined inner which protects the screen from scratches.
The cover folds in multiple orientations using creases in the hard spines within the cover. At one end of the cover is a magnet which operates the following functions:
- Puts the tablet to sleep when closed.
- Wakes the tablet up when opened.
- When folded over, the magnet snaps to the rear of the device in two positions to give the user two angle options.

For gaming the tablet stand isnt the best sometimes and it does need to be on a flat surface for you to enjoy a good gaming experience. The original Shield handheld is more of a mobile gaming device in this manner and benefits from its handheld form factor. The Shield Tablet needs to be propped up or on a table using the stand to get the most out of it.

The Shield Tablet cover is a great addition and really a must have for those looking to use a Shield on the go. The design is seamless and works in harmony with the device in a way I have not seen from other tablet accessories. I would suggest anybody looking to purchase a Shield tablet to consider factoring the cost of the official cover into their purchase. It really does make a difference to the usability and functionality of the product as a whole.

Nvidia Shield Wireless Controller for Shield Tablet
In my view, the primary feature of the new Shield Tablet is the separate controller unit that is not integrated into the package and is instead available as an optional extra. The Wireless controller opens up a host of options to the end user. The beauty of the controller being a separate purchase means that users are able to buy Shield accessories as a modular system. You don't need a controller to have an excellent end user experience with the Shield tablet, but it certainly boosts the feature set of the platform.

The controller comes packaged in a small box with packaging of uniform design to the Shield Cover. The packaging is simple and has the familiar Nvidia theme you see on high end graphics cards from tier one board partners.

DSC_0667.jpg

Opening the package reveals the controller itself with a small info document and a standard charging cable. The controller has a nice weight to it and sits nicely in my hands. I have a PS4 and actually prefer the Xbox 360 controller I use with my HTPC. The Shield Wireless controller has a similar feel to the Xbox controller and the dimensions feel familiar. The button layout for me was easy to grasp and I liked the resistance of the analogue control sticks. The face buttons and d-pad have a nice feel to them and there is a premium feel to the product that is the most immediate thing that jumps out on first use.

The shoulders of the controller feature a flat button and trigger combo on both sides, and whilst very nicely implemented with a short throw, the triggers would benefit from a rounded edge at the top as I have caught my fingers on there a few times.

The rear of the controller features a headset and charging port that is compatible with the same charger as the Tablet itself to make charging easier.

In addition to the more conventional game pad controls, the Shield has a number of propriety inputs that allow very specific functionality for the tablet. There is an Nvidia logo button that is primarily used for pairing the device and also power. There is also a 'back' and 'home' button that Android users will find familiar. Also in this array is a start button which tends to be used for features like button mapping and pausing games.
This area of the controller also has a built in mic that allows you to utilise Android voice commands.

At the bottom of the controller is a track pad with integrated volume control and built in click for the tablet. This works amazingly well and is very responsive. I found myself using this more than touching the screen when gaming and it was especially useful in Android games.

I like the element of the controller being a unique part for the unit but would really love to see windows integration for this controller. For me it is the only thing missing and I feel that the game pad is good enough to be considered an essential purchase for PC gamers who don't have a shield, perhaps coaxing them into purchasing a Shield later down the line.
You can work around by using the shield in streaming mode and just effectively using the shield as a receiver for the wireless controller, but it would be nice to have the option to run it as a standalone unit.

The wireless technology of the controller is superb and allows up to four controllers to be uses on one Shield tablet at any one time. Whilst this didn't come in handy for me, I can see it being useful for people looking to use emulator software and co op games.

The Shield controller didn't have a built in rumble feature but honestly this wasn't something I missed.

The Shield Wireless controller is a great quality, responsive controller that is a well featured premium game pad with excellent feel. It works in harmony with the Shield and is an intuitive extension of the Android operating system

Nvidia Shield 8" Tegra K1 2.20GHz, 2GB DDR3, 16GB Storage, 1920x1200 IPS WiFi Tablet
For months I have been looking for a tablet that I felt could replace my Asus Gen 1 Nexus 7 as my daily use tablet. The reason I have wanted to replace it is because compared to my phone, the nexus 5, the Gen one Nexus 7 is starting to show its age. It is slow, not that responsive and doesn't have a fantastic battery life. Being a fan of Nexus devices, I was keen to find something compact that had a stock or close to stock Android experience. The Galaxy tab range and some of the higher end Asus tablets were ok but come with rubbish skins and a load of bloatware.
I really enjoy a stock Android experience and have found that when presented with alternatives by phone and tablet manufacturers that it detracts from the usability of the device for me.

Unpacking the Shield from its box, you are presented with a fairly basic accessory kit. The charger and cable feel very premium and a euro plug is provided as well meaning it is ideal for travelling. The Shield itself is covered in a protective film that is easily removed.

DSC_0669.jpg

When you unwrap the protective cover, the first thing you notice is the rubberized soft touch finish on the rear of the tablet. A far cry from the aluminium finish of an apple product but in my opinion far more appealing and practical. It stays in your hand well and the feel remains premium despite not using a high quality surface for the rear. Also on the rear of the device is a 5MP camera which I feel is about average quality for a device at this price point.
The front face of the tablet is a smooth glass with front facing speakers and another forward facing 5MP selfie camera. The sides have Mini HDMI and USB I/O ports and the other side has the classic Android layout volume and lock/power functions. The most important feature here for me is the inclusion of a MicroSD slot for huge expansion potential which is a huge plus point for me as a Nexus user and I believe, something other users will want too.

The Shield also comes with a proprietary Stylus that slots in the side of the unit. It is inkeeping wit the style of the device and also very accurate for use. I am personally not a big fan of the tablet stylus but it is a nice inclusion and the drawing and note taking apps pre loaded on the device work seamlessly with the stylus giving accurate readings of touches and replicating written words surprisingly well.

Turning your Shield on for the first time you are greeted with an Nvidia/Android splash screen. Which quickly lands you on the Android homepage. I must point out that this is one of the quickest Android based tablets that I have used for start up times. I am sure that anyone reading this review will be fully aware of the technologies contained in the Shield tablet and I must say, it is outrageously quick.

You are welcomed to the device by a fairly basic layout that is identical to Stock Android. This instantly appeals to me and as a Nexus user, I feel right at home.
A quick search through the menus and setting and one could be forgiven for thinking that this is a Stock Android ROM anyway with the only clue giving it away being a folder on the homepage with the three Nvidia apps. The 1920x1200 IPS display is an absolute joy and is the most immediate and noticeable feature to me. Comparing it to the display of an iPad Air you can see the difference between the two resolutions clearly but the Shield has in my opinion a perfect resolution given its size. I don't have an iPad Mini to compare against but I can't say that I was left feeling like I needed more from the Shield's screen real estate. It is perfect for the intended use of the Tablet and the viewing angles are fantastic.

DSC_0678.jpg

Loading up my Google profile and accounts was as easy as with any Android device and within minutes I was connected to my home network and updates for the Shield began. I had an Nvidia update straight away offering improvements for the game streaming functionality as well as a few other updates.
Downloading and playing a few songs from Spotify whilst reading the forums really highlighted the front facing speakers capabilities. They have some great sound for a built in unit especially a device at this price point. A range of music all played perfectly acceptably and whilst a pair of headphones were ok with the device, the speakers really stood out as something I think Nvidia must have placed focus on to add to the gaming experience.

A claimed 10 hours Battery Life from Nvidia is perfectly reasonable for light use. After a few charges I ran the battery down with a mix of gaming, PC streaming, youtube use, Forum browsing, and use of the tegra assisted drawing app. The results are as follows:
Settings_20140805_235701.jpg

Nearly 5 hours usage with 52% battery remaining. An accurate and realistic manufacturer claim.
Given that a lot of that time was spent playing PC game streaming, this is exceptional. Of course, playing android games locally on the device will reduce battery life significantly but this is a clear advantage to streaming as the power consumption is taking place off the device.

Android Gaming is a breeze for the most part on Shield. A lot of games have integrated controller features that really benefit from using a full size controller like the Shield game pad. Grand Theft Auto titles as well as Ridge Racer and Worms were all quite easy to play on Shield using the controller or the on screen controls. The only thing that I feel is a let down here is that there are not enough Android developers making games with Shield in mind. This means that little niggles remain in some titles. For instance, Ridge racer plays very well but the on screen controls remain which is a little off putting when you are using a controller.
The main downfall for me is major title incompatibility from titles like Real Racing 3. This is arguably one of the best looking Android games and it simply doesn't work well on Shield unless you use touch controls. There was an update for the game two days after I got the Shield saying that there was full controller support added. It isn't. Nvidia Button Mapper is the solution here but it isn't well documented enough and the game remains unplayable with the Shield wireless controller. I feel that the Nvidia button mapper is a great idea but it is the developers of the games themselves who should be using it to integrate into their titles as it is only a workaround and not as polished as I would have liked it to be despite it being very functional and easy to use.
I would like to see Shield become a standard where developers make a profile within their games to allow full Shield functionality. Nvidia provided Android developers with a platform to generate more interest in Android gaming. I feel that it is the responsibility of Android developers to act accordingly and get behind Shield as a gaming platform. It will only benefit the developers and the Android users.

Tegra Specific Titles are really easily identifiable anyway but to make things easier, Nvidia have made a specific app called Nvidia Hub which offers a selection of titles with Nvidia credentials such as Shield controller compatibility as well as Tegra optimization. This is essentially a set of links that take you through to the Google Play store anyway but it is a useful tool to highlight apps that work well with Shield and really offer a first class user experience with the device. Speaking of which, Trine 2 is pre loaded on the device to show off the capabilities of the Tegra chip. This also works fully with the controller and offers a very PC like experience on the move.

Console & Mirror Mode is not just for gaming. By plugging in the Mini HDMI cable into the side of the device you can link it up to a TV in either Mirror Mode to use for presentation and other productivity purposes or select Console Mode to turn off the tablet display and send signal directly to the HDMI enabled monitor or TV. I used this configuration myself by plugging the Shield into the mains for power as well as into my TV to work as a console. In this mode any Shield feature is open so in theory you could use it to stream your PC games to your TV if your gaming system was in another room. I chose to play Android games on mine for this test video as my HTPC is capable of gaming and is plugged directly into my TV anyway.
The user experience is smooth and takes a matter of seconds to set up. Sound is great and graphics scaling is great playing at the native resolution of the TV easily. The graphics quality on the games I played was very impressive for Android titles also.
Here is a short video of me playing Ridge Racer on the Shield using console mode into my TV. Notice the Shield plugged into the left hand side of the TV.

PC Game Streaming is what Shield is all about and what an experience. This is the thing that mostly attracted me to the device and it certainly hasn't disappointed. Be mindful that you need a Keplar GPU in your PC to meet minimum specifications for this. I had a 560Ti in my HTPC and had to swap it out for a GTX 680 in order to get things going. Running on a 680, dual core i3 and 4GB of RAM was intentional as I wanted to get a feel for how Shield would stream games from a PC that isn't flat out insane. Sure an SLI system of some description would absolutely muller it and want for nothing but I am keen to see what an aged GPU in a potentially bottlenecked motherboard framework would do in this scenario.

Shield ran perfectly using my HTPC as a base for streaming. Gaming is bed is now a reality. I started off running a few Steam Titles that Shield offered up in the Nvidia Hub. Once paired with your Nvidia GeForce experience enabled system, Shield picks up all of these titles with ease and offers them to you for a direct start. It didn't pick up a few titles like Alan Wake and also picked up titled I had uninstalled a long time ago like DIRT3.

Your games are presented in an easy to access menu along with a shortcut to Steam that essentially offers a link into Big Picture mode which allows you to launch undetected games such as Alan Wake and games with launchers like Street Fighter IV where things like GFWL and all that garbage get in the way of just starting the exe with no issue. Any PC gamer will have zero problem understanding how to use all this. It is very familiar and even a total novice would easily be able to navigate the menus and operate the functions.

SHIELDHub_20140810_204501.jpg

The obvious limitations of this system are that you need to use the controller to operate it so any games with great out of the box controller support will offer you an excellent experience. Games that are very PC orientated may be difficult to use or actually remain competitive at. For example, CS:S and DOW are two games I tried that worked but really needed a KB&M to get the best from. Playing CS:S with a control pad is very much a knife in a gun fight scenario.
The Device is Bluetooth compatible though meaning that if you so wished, you could pair your Shield with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for gaming if required.
Other games like Batman and Watch_Dogs were brilliant on Shield and offered a rich and satisfying game play experience that I believe can only be matched by playing on bespoke PC hardware. As a mobile solution, there is absolutely nothing like it and Shield excels in this area as both a media consumption and media generative device.

Game Capture is a great selling point of Shield which highlights a blend between its already strong content consumption credentials but also highlights is unique selling point as a content creation device. The ability to screenshot, record and stream to online services such as Twitch at the touch of a button is fantastic, esprecially considering that the onboard microphone and cameras make for an acceptable out of the box streaming setup which is both user friendly and easy to navigate.

Here is a demonstration of how Shield Game Streaming works from Start up to In game action using Batman Arkham Origins. I used a live video recorded on my phone to show the tablet interaction from starting the game up, to launching the game recorder in game. The video then switches to in game footage captured using the recorder so my hands are free to use the controls:

Here are three in game videos I made using the simple record feature on the Shield. The video is taken from a PC game stream of Dishonored, Alan Wake and GRID Autosport. As you can see, the stream is smooth on both. GRID was recorded at Medium quality and Alan Wake & Dishonored were recorded at High quality. There is in my own opinion very little difference between the two videos in terms of quality. I must mention that framerates dipped whilst recording the streaming games but only by a small margin and I really had to look for it. Image quality is reduced a slight amount also but again, not by a massive amount and it is hardly noticeable really.

Shield is impressive. It brings a mobile element to REAL PC gaming which has simply never existed before. The feature set the Shield Tablet offers is both comprehensive and unique which do much to set it apart from any rival tablet. You absolutely need a fast WiFi connection to utilise this fully.

As an individual purchase, Shield excels at being a powerful mobile device that would arguably fit in the hands of any technology enthusiast looking for a well presented, high power mobile device at a very aggressive price point. If Shield Tablet didn't have a single gaming orientated feature or marketing push in that direction, it would still remain one of the best sub £300 tablets on the market today. It has immense potential and is so responsive. I would have no problem suggesting a Shield Tablet to anybody looking for a fast, modern and feature packed mobile device.

As a Gamer, I can only summarise the Shield Tablet in two ways. It is real value adder and unique selling point that it is so capable at gaming. Its modular nature means that users can buy the tablet and purchase accessories over time to get the 'Full Shield Experience'. Whilst not perfect for Android gaming because of the requirement for developer support, the Shield PC Game Streaming capability is unique, unrivaled and I can see it being extremely difficult to beat any time soon. Integration is key here and Nvidia have smashed it out of the park making a user friendly experience that even advanced users can really gain something from Shield Tablet.

This product is a very real extension of your PC gaming and mobile experience. I would urge any Nvidia graphics card owner to consider a Shield Tablet as a purchase as it will open up new gaming experiences to you. For people without an Nvidia based PC already, the outlay for a Keplar+ GPU and then the Shield itself may be a tough pill to swallow, but it really is a rewarding experience that feels like a genuinely premium product.

I found myself playing more games because of this device. Developer adoption and support will see this platform flourish.

Back
Top Bottom