rMBP external displays. Thunderbolt or HDMI?

Caporegime
Hi all,

In conjunction with the other thread about setting up a home office/desk I'll be buying an external screen.

Normally I'd just buy any external monitor, connect via HDMI and be done with it. But what I've noticed when travelling and connecting the laptop to various TV's to watch movies is micro stutter. Moving windows around on the screens or playing videos often if not always results in some degree of micro stutter, which drives me insane.

My question is...is there a benefit to getting a thunderbolt display? Does the MacBook handle this better?

Thanks in advance :)

Jake

Caporegime
OP
Haven't decided on a monitor or spec yet (probably 27") was just wondering about the performance differences between HDMI or Thunderbolt/DP.

Its a 2015 rMBP 13"

Caporegime
OP
Would it be better to get a monitor which runs at the same resolution as the MacBook screen? As in 2560 X 1600?

Would that reduce scaling and therefore reduce performance draw and less stutter?

This is just a random idea. I've not read this anywhere online! :)

Thanks for your help all.

Caporegime
OP
After salivating on monitors yesterday, I ended up ordering the Samsung I linked in previous message.

I hope to write some experiences in few days, though unfortunately I don't have any calibration tools at hand, so I won't be able to make even semi-professional measurements.

Let me know please! Just initial impressions and what you think of it compared to the retina displays :)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom