Road Cycling

Soldato
Off to Greece on sunday so might not be until I return, hopefully in a week and not 2...!
I made it back! Looks like we kinda timed it absolutely right CV19 wise and I'll be very surprised if Greece doesn't go into lockdown very shortly... Although had a great week away. Zero riding. Many beers. Many foods. Much sun. :cool:

giant conduct there a bit odd
Not that odd really, just standard shimano cable shifters, to the conduct master cylinder which is then hydro hoses to hydaulic calipers (all made by TRP). It gets a bit of a bad rap amongst the purists, as with Shimano releasing the R7000 hydraulic shifters & pistons the year after I believe Giant only used it for 2018 (and maybe 2017) ranges? But it is/was a sound idea (allowing 'any' cable shifters to be used with a hydraulic system). My LBS guys don't like it because 'it looks untidy' and the calipers are a bit rubbish compared to Shimano's but as a system it's quite sound. I'm unsure if you could change the calipers for Shimano ones?

What makes you call it a 'bit odd'? Other than the fact it's a little different to everything else currently around?

Odd not riding the turbo, worked a few different muscles and feeling those ones now! A fortnight since I was last out I think and rode more than 75 mins!
Haha that's the thing isn't it. From doing the 'limited to 1 hour' lockdown riding I was smashing them, so then to switch to Zwift racing, most of which is under an hour, I obviously found easy/great. Then along came some longer rides and really suffered - think I was just too conditioned to smashing it everywhere like a newbie. So riding tempo 'easy' wasn't something I was used to and took some time.

Winnats pass today and a good route around that area. We didn't make it up the pass without stopping though. One lads chain snapped half way up. It was emotional :D
Classic! Most of us will have been there (not Winnats, but 'that' kinda ride)! Character building and really forms some strong friendships!

a few days ago I managed to get taken out by a small rock slide in Switzerland
Epic! As mentioned, congratulations for becoming one of the first here. Most of us fall over drains/tram lines/wildlife/into hedges and never want to tell anyone. ;)

thanks, great idea had never thought of that.

that’s going to be an interesting shopping experience :D
My other half was slightly bemused when I asked her why she hadn't got black nail varnish. Then even more so, when I asked if she hadn't got black, or white, then what the hell use was there having 54646 bottles of nail varnish in the bathroom cupboard. ;)

Now I feel unsafe on flats - you're able to move the bike around so much more clipped in.
6 years of clipless. 1 ride on a hotel bike with flats. Injured. 1 ride on MTB trails with flats. Injured with serious 'shin eggs'.

Had my first 100km ride today.
Well done Andy, good one to tick off. Imperial next!? ;)

My full winter bib tights are from Galibier and are excellent. I've been meaning to order one of their new Sentinel jerseys which looks Gabba-esq - could be a bargain at £66. Their new Regale shorts also look good.
I've only owned Galiber gloves and really liked them, great quality. Think the other half's 2 pairs of autumn/winter long fingered are both Galiber and she's certainly not moaned about them... So there's a glowing recommendation lol

finally got round using this after I had to get myself a new track pump (Joe Blow III) as well. The airshot worked great, has a couple of goes to be sure but the tyre safety line much better places now so should be all good!
Good to hear! Now to figure out if I still need one, or can find a compressor... Tough choice.

Hi
Been down to Devon last week for a break and took the bike for a couple of rides. I planned on hitting 8 of the top 100 climbs in Britain.
Great adventure and I'm so jealous you've got such an understanding other half! Should post the segments on your post so we can all take a look - always fun to see others efforts and I always have a bit of a scout of which others I'm following have also been up them.

I am also trying to understand if there is a specific way i need to route the cable for tension on the front mech? Some stuff I read says there is an "on/off" adjustment setting but I am not sure if my mech has that. I will have to check tonight. Im dreading this already....
Front mech is much harder to get right than rear. There is a specific route for the cable, or which 'side' of the FD arm it goes and that totally depends on your setup. Ideally have a scout of how it looks before you remove the old. H/L limit screws for both you don't need cables to get them set. Just basically move the derailleur by hand (with chain fitted) to set the 'limits' you need for it's full movement (so it'll happily shift without rub) into top & bottom gears of each. Then when you add cable your're only then introducing the indexing to that movement. Try to do both together is possible, but so much easier to do as 2 separate things.

Does anyone have a Perfetto Light (or Perfetto ROS Light depending on the year)?
Only Gabbas I have are the gilets (which I love), but no Lights. I do have several of the Sportful Fiandre Light, LS and SS. They're great, but compared to the thicker Fiandre and the Gabba, I'd say the standard Fiandre kit isn't as thick as Gabba material. But I don't have Fiandre gilets to directly compare, only LS jerseys.

Fiandre light is good, might be more similar to the Gabba Light, but as a layer to wear over a summer jersey, good protection from showers and spray but not for long/real rain. But also not really wearing for longer than needed as although light material (has some ok windblocking) it does lead to a little 'boil in the bag' (like a cape) as things get warmer. Not quite breathable for 20+ degrees and not heavy enough material to protect from a thunderstorm (like current conditions you might be looking for something for?). Material is ok to wear after a downpour, but not during. I've tended to wear them more in the morning if there's been rain overnight with damp (not sodden) roads, maybe some light drizzle that's stopping without any more forecast rain. So more of a 'light' protection and additional layer I take off as the temperature comes up, rather than a rain protection layer. With rain forecast or wetter roads I'll use a heavier packable jacket (current fave is Castelli Tempesta). For me jackets with good ventilation/breathable fabric/multiple layers easily out perform the Fiandre Light in any heavier rain and the warmer weather. So they where a bit of a wasted purchase for me, even though I like them, I've not really found them good enough for the conditions they're designed for... The conditions they're designed for (and temperature range) I'll tend to wear the thicker gilets with NoRain/Nanoflex arm warmers instead! It's either warm enough to get damp shoulders, or cool enough to wear a real rain layer :rolleyes: YMMV of course!

Don't suppose anyone can suggest good cable cutting tool that won't break my bank too? Outers and and inners.
I 'got by' with regular wire/side cutters but they where a complete faff. Broke/damaged side cutters - 1 expensive and 2 cheap pairs then bought the Park tools proper cutters. Still going strong several years later so would recommend them as a good investment. Great for cutting the dogs claws too! ;) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Only Gabbas I have are the gilets (which I love), but no Lights. I do have several of the Sportful Fiandre Light, LS and SS. They're great, but compared to the thicker Fiandre and the Gabba, I'd say the standard Fiandre kit isn't as thick as Gabba material. But I don't have Fiandre gilets to directly compare, only LS jerseys.

Fiandre light is good, might be more similar to the Gabba Light, but as a layer to wear over a summer jersey, good protection from showers and spray but not for long/real rain. But also not really wearing for longer than needed as although light material (has some ok windblocking) it does lead to a little 'boil in the bag' (like a cape) as things get warmer. Not quite breathable for 20+ degrees and not heavy enough material to protect from a thunderstorm (like current conditions you might be looking for something for?). Material is ok to wear after a downpour, but not during. I've tended to wear them more in the morning if there's been rain overnight with damp (not sodden) roads, maybe some light drizzle that's stopping without any more forecast rain. So more of a 'light' protection and additional layer I take off as the temperature comes up, rather than a rain protection layer. With rain forecast or wetter roads I'll use a heavier packable jacket (current fave is Castelli Tempesta). For me jackets with good ventilation/breathable fabric/multiple layers easily out perform the Fiandre Light in any heavier rain and the warmer weather. So they where a bit of a wasted purchase for me, even though I like them, I've not really found them good enough for the conditions they're designed for... The conditions they're designed for (and temperature range) I'll tend to wear the thicker gilets with NoRain/Nanoflex arm warmers instead! It's either warm enough to get damp shoulders, or cool enough to wear a real rain layer :rolleyes: YMMV of course!

I knew @Roady would come with some useful information :D My rain jacket is a ShakeDry which still amazes me with how breathable it is, so I'm well covered for extended rain. I'm wondering if a jersey for summer showers doesn't really exist as anything that is more waterproof than a standard jersey becomes too hot at 20 degC or more, so you want something which dry fast once you escape the rain.

Soldato
Haha glad I could help. You know me - always one for an opinion and I really do have too much kit...

The Fiandre Light *could* be that jersey - the material is light enough to dry fast and I think it thin enough to ride hard in providing the wind was a cooler one. If it's a warm wind, high humidity or high temperatures then I think you'd just be overheating a little too much in the jersey to begin with (compared to a standard jersey) so wouldn't get the cooling you need (to wear it as a replacement). But that is coming from me and I run quite warm - also sweat quite a bit, even though I do generally choose to 'over-kit' than under-dress. I'd prefer to carry a layer I may need while wearing another, rather than only wearing one and compromising the 2 conditions I'm expecting to see (if that makes sense)? Been caught out too many times before wearing the wrong kit...

I'm a big fan of arm warmers and gilets, usually only putting my packable jacket on after I've ridden for several minutes in a drizzle/shower. I have a couple of gilets (one Rapha Brevet and one Hump) which are similar material to a packable cape - very plastic and boil in the bag, but light and thin enough to dry out well/quickly if worn in a shower.

Permabanned
Planning a cycling trip to Ireland with a few friends. Getting the ferry to Belfast and staying our first night in Killough. Any one know of any particular sights to see or routes between the two places? Thinking about 80-100km for the first day I'd have thought.

Soldato
My galibier jersey came today, but even though i sized to the suggestions - XL its too small!

Im not tubby, but bigger due to stronglifts in the gym (bigger arms and chest and shoulders etc.)

not sure the XXL will be much better or if its the cut/design of the jersey that doesnt fit me properly!

My Northwave skeleton (old jersey) seems to fit better which i think was a L ...

Associate
My galibier jersey came today, but even though i sized to the suggestions - XL its too small!

Im not tubby, but bigger due to stronglifts in the gym (bigger arms and chest and shoulders etc.)

not sure the XXL will be much better or if its the cut/design of the jersey that doesnt fit me properly!

My Northwave skeleton (old jersey) seems to fit better which i think was a L ...

That is very odd. I have 2 galibier jerseys and found their sizing to be more UK orientated rather than the super slim Italian fit. Their size charts are also usually spot on. I also weight train. Perhaps remeasure yourself? :p

Soldato
Guy had a camera on for Tuesdays bundy. Was super wet as you can see.

Make my first appearance at 8.55 then an attack at 15 minutes that I think helped make the 10 guys away from the 26 that started.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=12s&v=zfQCl3WgKjk

:D I just watched it and was talking to Corin on team whatsapp as I read your post!
So jealous right now. Absolutely nowt on the go up here in terms of bunches or chainys. It's depressing.

Soldato
Corin is a strong lad.

Glad to have them come through as it spices it up a bit. Callum, corin and Murray get right involved. Even had a show of Brad stokes last night.

They're a cracking bunch. I met them all for first time in March at our team weekender and enjoyed every second of their banter and training with them. Gutted to not be racing with them this season.

We have a team get together on Sat 29th. What days are there bunches/chainys you do down there bud?
Bundy and northside chainy are your main ones, right?

If I'm in Fife for that weekend I might look at coming down the Weds or staying through till the following Tues/Weds and do something. I'm sick to death of riding solo or on Zwift.

Soldato
Right now it seems Tuesday and Thursday bundy and the Douglas on the Saturday.

Not sure if the northside has started yet, did see corin had ridden the loop but not in a bunch?

Sunday mornings the bundy guys tend to leave from Carluke way for a ton at 20mph+. I've pencilled in a mennock pass run with Scott mccrossan that Sunday but open to change.

Soldato
Right now it seems Tuesday and Thursday bundy and the Douglas on the Saturday.

Not sure if the northside has started yet, did see corin had ridden the loop but not in a bunch?

Sunday mornings the bundy guys tend to leave from Carluke way for a ton at 20mph+. I've pencilled in a mennock pass run with Scott mccrossan that Sunday but open to change.

Thanks man.
I think they showed to Northside and nobody else did haha.

I'll shout you closer to that weekend and see what script is!

Soldato
Douglas is a good run with the same guys as bundy. Dougie, greig and graham Smith you've met. 30+ at the weekend there...they meet near Calderglen Park 10am on Saturdays in east kilbride and pick that lot up in Strathaven heading to muirkirk.

Soldato
Turbocharged on Tuesday was a hot one. Quite humid when I started and 29 degrees outside so probably 32+ degrees in the garage. 3 fans on high and 2 bottles this time. Massive sweat patches on the mat below me at the end! Good way to burn some of the holiday calories! :D ;)

I got shelled before the first climb so no biggie, rode the rest of it with some TTT pals and formed up a chase group. Tempo ride really. We reeled a few others in but then split things later and all of us lost out as the others had obviously rested and sat on us more than we realised. Good fun sprint with a teammate and pipped him to the line.

3mm allen key would have had the rear mech cage off within a minute (and you'd be able to clean it and the jockey wheels nicely).
#protip!

Guy had a camera on for Tuesdays bundy. Was super wet as you can see.

Make my first appearance at 8.55 then an attack at 15 minutes that I think helped make the 10 guys away from the 26 that started.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=12s&v=zfQCl3WgKjk
Great fun and a good camera, Gopro? Very soggy one with that early soaking.

Although I found it hard to get into it when the first thing I see is a guy in a Sky yellow skinsuit. Bleurgh. Pro kit is for pro's! :rolleyes:

In other news, massive thunderstorm here yesterday at 5pm. Perfect timing for the other halfs commute home. She was like a drowned rat! Lots of localised flooding, including places I've not known flood in the ~15 years I've been around. Serves them right for developing/building over any old floodplains as there's just nowhere for the water to go. They've spent all the money on flood defences for the river (which still floods) without thinking how the water actually gets to the damn river. Idiots.

In other news, I feel now I can now rant and rage similar to @xdcx ! Achievement unlocked! :cool: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady - Here I won the 16:05 3R turbocharge race on Tuesday! Well a sketchy guy won it up road but was DQ and I was first over the line from the bunch. I didn't get first overall after the prime points, I missed the sprint prime because I was flagging one of the four ZP riders Sticky asked us to flag..... Still another bump on rank for me of 4 points which is massive.

The camera in that YT vid Jonny posted is a GoPro Hero 8 as that's exactly what I was asking the lad that done it. I am keen for one.

My poor wee granny sent me pictures of her garden and the flooding in Fife..... Never seen anything like it in my time and she has never seen anything like it in her 74 years. Been absolutely fine up here in the arctic!

Soldato
@Roady the guy in yellow is a unit. Strong on the flats but not up ant sort of incline.

He's a rower hence his size. Tried giving him some tips on who not to follow and when to move up or follow me. Hell get there as he's quite new to it.

Soldato
@Roady - Here I won the 16:05 3R turbocharge race on Tuesday!<snip>

Been absolutely fine up here in the arctic!
Quality result buddy, well done - you sprinter! 12w/kg ;) :D

My weight is going the wrong way at the moment, 76kg a month ago, 76.5kg before holiday, Post holiday 78.6kg, next day 77.3kg, Tuesday 78kg and now 77.2kg now. Keeping my Zwift weight at 76 but if things don't drop over the weekend I'll have to increase to 77kg I think.

Really need some reliable scales, not some of those fancy smart ones, just something more reliable than the cheap ones I have now! :rolleyes:

Arctic?! Even the last few days? It's been hotter at our place (until today) than it felt in Crete. Sun isn't quite as warm, but more heat as far less wind. I've not had a good nights sleep for probably nearly 2 weeks now. :(

Our upstairs was 36 degrees last night when little dude went to bed! :mad::eek:

@Roady the guy in yellow is a unit. Strong on the flats but not up ant sort of incline.

He's a rower hence his size. Tried giving him some tips on who not to follow and when to move up or follow me. Hell get there as he's quite new to it.
Haha wasn't mentioning due to size just the kit choice! ;)

It must have been grim in that rain with only a skinsuit on. So many rowers/ex-rowers in cycling. I know of a couple here as well (and Hereford isn't even really known for rowing).

Back
Top Bottom