Road Cycling

Soldato
Have been toying with getting the Assioma duo shi power meter pedals for ages now but could never quite justify the cost along with worrying about the extra q factor and the fact I have some nice dura ace pedals already. Found some guy selling a 4iiii left hand PM crank on facebook for £230 and we are swapping crank arms. He gets my non PM one and I get the PM one.

Looking forward to no longer getting home after a ride and arguing with Strava about my average power!

Nice deal.

I've also got the Look compatible Assioma Duos and I can't say I've ever noticed differences going between them, Look Keo Classics (turbo bike) and 520 SPDs on my winter bike. I had Ultegra SPD-SLs on my best bike before the Duos. I might just be weird and pedal like a baboon though! :D

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Nice deal.

I've also got the Look compatible Assioma Duos and I can't say I've ever noticed differences going between them, Look Keo Classics (turbo bike) and 520 SPDs on my winter bike. I had Ultegra SPD-SLs on my best bike before the Duos. I might just be weird and pedal like a baboon though! :D

thinking more of a future problem. Do you know if the cleats which the assiomas use are compatible with regular look pedals? When I (eventually) get a new bike I'd like to put some regular Look pedals on my old bike so that I can use the same shoes/cleats

I'd presume they are. I sort of remember GP-Lama doing a test

Soldato
thinking more of a future problem. Do you know if the cleats which the assiomas use are compatible with regular look pedals? When I (eventually) get a new bike I'd like to put some regular Look pedals on my old bike so that I can use the same shoes/cleats

I'd presume they are. I sort of remember GP-Lama doing a test

Yes, for the Assioma cleats working fine in my Keo Classic pedals. I've watched that GP-Lama test as well...

I have had a weird (scary) thing though. I put genuine Look cleats (the red grip version) on my winter Northwave boots (cleats purchased from Merlin, so should be legit product). I went out on a big training ride on a Sunday, heading over to Shrewsbury to join a club reliability ride. I was probably 45 minutes in before I had to stop at a junction to turn and I found I couldn't unclip. Much :eek: and swearing occurred but I stayed upright. I had big trouble unclipping both feet all day which become quite frustrating.

The next day I ordered up some of the Assioma cleats from CyclePowerMeters (where my pedals came from) and took off the Look cleats. The Assioma cleats have been spot-on since though my winter boots don't see as much use as my summer shoes which I also use on the turbo trainer.

I had to buy some more new cleats in France last year. Two days into our holiday one of the cleats on my summer shoes decided it was the time to give up and I kept unclipping without trying. I ended up getting some Look red non-grippy from a bike shop in Bourg-d'Oisans. Now I think about it, I might have one Look cleat and one Assioma cleat on still. One to check later!

Soldato
Managed to get out first thing this morning (well 7am!). Woke up feeling pretty stiff and just took it easy for the ride. Need to make more effort to get my routine like this as it's already getting to 32C by midday. Annoyingly Garmin has reset my Heat Acclimisation score, so i'm apparently only 6% acclimatised to the heat despite virtually every session for 6 months being >20 degrees!

Annoyingly there's definitely something wrong with my HR strap. Today i barely made it out of Zone 1 for power. Yet my HR barely dropped below 210bpm! After it was being weird on Wednesday too i'm not sure whether to just replace it or hope it sorts itself out.

S9PF1xH.png

Looking back through emails, i bought a Garmin HRM Tri in Feb 2020 from Amazon. It failed in October 2020 and Amazon replaced it. That then failed in Feb 2022. This time i went to Garmin and they replaced it with a HRM Pro and said not to return it, and it looks like i also went via Amazon who refunded me. So it's actually cost me nothing!

Going to change the battery and see if it helps, if not then given how often it's failed, i'm not sure i want to trust Garmin again so might just go Wahoo/Magene.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just keep pulling until the two parts separate. Voila!

This was bugging me. Seems you've just got the only strap where it does this! Maybe you're the reason my strap is broke! :mad:

Can the Module on My Garmin HRM Be Removed From the Strap?​

The HRM-Dual™ monitor is the only current Garmin heart rate monitor strap that has a removable monitor. The following advanced monitors have the module integrated into the strap itself for ideal performance
  • HRM-Fit™ monitor
  • HRM-Pro monitor
  • HRM-Pro Plus monitor
  • HRM-Run monitor
  • HRM-Swim monitor
  • HRM-Tri monitor
The HRMs should be washed by hand, after seven uses. The HRM-Pro, HRM-Pro Plus, and HRM-Tri should be washed after each swimming pool use. For full care instructions, see the Care Guide.

Last edited:
  • Haha

fez

fez

Caporegime
Going to change the battery and see if it helps, if not then given how often it's failed, i'm not sure i want to trust Garmin again so might just go Wahoo/Magene.

Had zero issues with my HRM-Dual (the one with a removable strap :p ) in about 2 years. Looks borderline brand new still as well. When you connect it to your head unit it should tell you what the battery status is. Can't hurt to try and replace the battery at any rate.

Soldato
Had zero issues with my HRM-Dual (the one with a removable strap :p ) in about 2 years. Looks borderline brand new still as well. When you connect it to your head unit it should tell you what the battery status is. Can't hurt to try and replace the battery at any rate.

Hey i wouldn't say i had an issue with this one since Feb 2022 so you might be due :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Soldato
Well - finally happened - had an off.

Cycling home from work, lorry overtook me, I accelerated behind it to get a bit of a draft. Out of the saddle, full sprint. Chain snapped, down I went - right shoulder took a big hit, road rash on both shoulders, both knees trashed as well. Helmet also took a hit, that's now in the bin. 4 hours in A&E, X-rays all clear thankfully. Happened so fast, I didn't have time to anticipate and/or get my hands out to break my fall. Blessing in disguise as I was going ~30mph, I would likely have broken my wrist/arm.

Now at home feeling sorry for myself, bandaged up and a very stiff/painful shoulder. Bike is fine I think, need to take a closer look when I'm strong enough to get it out my girlfriend's car. London to Brighton in a couple of weeks might be a bit ambitious..

Soldato
Wow. Glad to hear you're alright (relatively speaking)
Yep, I'll take a painful shoulder over broken bones/head. Sudden failure of the chain though, I had given it all a check over before Ride London on Sunday, chain was well within tolerance. Maybe I'm pushing too many Watts :D Could be an opportunity to upgrade my drivetrain though...before @Junglist gets his Di2 ;)

Soldato
Yep, I'll take a painful shoulder over broken bones/head. Sudden failure of the chain though, I had given it all a check over before Ride London on Sunday, chain was well within tolerance. Maybe I'm pushing too many Watts :D Could be an opportunity to upgrade my drivetrain though...before @Junglist gets his Di2 ;)
if you are awaiting for @Junglist , you have plenty of time, di2 will be 4 gen old by that time...

Soldato
.... I suppose I'm glad you're alright @-westy-

My genuine fear now is when I do buy it, it'll be replaced the next week :cry: I keep asking how the house sale is going they must be on to me

Tubeless sealant: What's everyones go-to? I've been using Stans but wondering if there is something better/more cost effective.

Last edited:
Soldato

My genuine fear now is when I do buy it, it'll be replaced the next week :cry: I keep asking how the house sale is going they must be on to me

Tubeless sealant: What's everyones go-to? I've been using Stans but wondering if there is something better/more cost effective.

Haha I got Sram Force about a month before it was replaced with the new version. I guess it explains why it was so cheap!

Soldato

I've always used Hutchinson Protect Air. The only time with tubeless I've had to pump out on a ride was the time I forgot to top-up the sealant!

fez

fez

Caporegime

They think you are after all that tasty cash when all you want is a thousand quid :cry:

Back
Top Bottom