Road Cycling

Soldato
All packed up and ready for the Maratona dles Dolomites. Flying out to Venice and racing Sunday. My form is ok but not as strong as I would have liked. Not looking forward to the Passo Giau - 9.9km at 9.3% but too late now to bottle it. Pics next week if I make it back!

Good riding - I've stayed in Corvara and spent a week walking round there, just utterly fabulous scenery.

Soldato
Groupsets continue to get uglier I see.

Crankset aesthetic design peaked with the last aluminium Campag Record crank. I doubt it'll ever be beaten

Soldato
All packed up and ready for the Maratona dles Dolomites. Flying out to Venice and racing Sunday. My form is ok but not as strong as I would have liked. Not looking forward to the Passo Giau - 9.9km at 9.3% but too late now to bottle it. Pics next week if I make it back!

Good luck and enjoy the scenery, its a beautiful part of the world.

Soldato
I'm assuming you can't replace the battery at all, without replacing the crank. Everything seems to be fully integrated in those cranks. Hopefully they have thought about the battery carefully.

I read that it was going to have a magnetic type charger that will charge the battery through the bottom drain plug area.

Downside of the PM seems to be it's to retrofittable to other bikes? Seems a bit of a pain!

Soldato
Picked up some replacement decals off eBay for my Bontrager A5's which arrived yesterday. Previous owner had removed them and I didn't fancy paying £60 for legitimate stickers at the end of the day!

Both words and the 'B' were on separate transfers requiring expert alignment skills, only had another 33 to go after this... :rolleyes:

(If any look misaligned, it's the angle :p)

uyBFPhRl.jpg

Soldato
I read that it was going to have a magnetic type charger that will charge the battery through the bottom drain plug area.

Downside of the PM seems to be it's to retrofittable to other bikes? Seems a bit of a pain!

Yes. That is correct on the charging. Since the power meter is just in the cranks, I'm pretty sure you can just fit it to any bike and it will work. Doesn't need to be new Dura-Ace.

I'll make a decision when we know pricing (Autumn for mechanical athe least) and also what DCRainmaker makes of the PM.

The changes to the chain line sound interesting too. As they've apparently sorted the chain line issue with disc brakes and short chain stays.

Soldato
Yes. That is correct on the charging. Since the power meter is just in the cranks, I'm pretty sure you can just fit it to any bike and it will work. Doesn't need to be new Dura-Ace.

I'll make a decision when we know pricing (Autumn for mechanical athe least) and also what DCRainmaker makes of the PM.

The changes to the chain line sound interesting too. As they've apparently sorted the chain line issue with disc brakes and short chain stays.

Wouldn't it be worth looking at either quarq or power2max? At least with quarq you have different price options and easy to change battery and P2Max are reasonably cheap anyway?

edit: Just looked at P2Max for my Ribble and dont see a Shimano option. Anyone with a P2Max able to shed any light on a Shimano Ultegra option?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
My P2M uses Rotor 3D cranks that are HTII compatible. I *think* (but may be wrong) that P2M will require the older 5 arm Shimano cranks rather than the newer 4 arm ones, which seem to be incompatible with nearly all PMs.

Soldato
They don't have a Shimano option at all. It was mentioned by DCRainmaker, and I think a few were made. But not anymore sadly :(

I'm not in a huge rush currently. And I want to at least see what Shimano brings to the table. A fully enclosed system sounds nice, but of course if it ever breaks you have to replace your entire crankset.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really don't see the point in this PM for the majority of users unless you're minted. Dura-ace is always the most expensive kit, and with the other stuff on the market that is much easier to switch/fix etc just seems like a must have but only for the people who have a bit of cash and would have dura-ace anyway.

Soldato
I really don't see the point in this PM for the majority of users unless you're minted. Dura-ace is always the most expensive kit, and with the other stuff on the market that is much easier to switch/fix etc just seems like a must have but only for the people who have a bit of cash and would have dura-ace anyway.

I'm primarily interested in waiting for it, because I want to see how it's priced, and if it drops prices on other PMs. It's an optional part of the system which is nice too.

I also like the idea of the fully integrated meter in the cranks. Nothing can get wet at all. Plus, I'm not going to lie, I do quite like the look of those cranks. I like the look of current Dura-Ace too, but the only way you get get a PM with those is Pioneer, 4iiii, Stages or SRM. And having read a few things yesterday, 4iiii seems to have a few issues, Stages feels like a no-go from things people here have said, and Pioneer has silly frame magnets.

Soldato
I'm primarily interested in waiting for it, because I want to see how it's priced, and if it drops prices on other PMs. It's an optional part of the system which is nice too.

Was anything announced with regards to pricing of the new group set/IPM? or availability dates?

TL: DR the 101 articles/videos that were splurged everywhere last night.

Not something I'm interested in buying but rather to see how it's priced and if it will force prices of existing products to compete.

I also like the idea of the fully integrated meter in the cranks. Nothing can get wet at all. Plus, I'm not going to lie, I do quite like the look of those cranks. I like the look of current Dura-Ace too, but the only way you get get a PM with those is Pioneer, 4iiii, Stages or SRM. And having read a few things yesterday, 4iiii seems to have a few issues, Stages feels like a no-go from things people here have said, and Pioneer has silly frame magnets.

There are hub & pedal based meters available still though. So if you have or plan to have more than one bike would be more preferable.

Soldato
2017 release for new DA. The Di2 PM option will cost more than most of our bikes, that is for certain. I think you'll be looking at the top end aero frame bikes with full Di2 PM DA being at the £10k range now, up from the current £8k sort of price range.

I still cannot see beyond Vectors being the simplest all round PM solution, can be had second hand cheap enough, easy to swap around and they track well against other PM's for accuracy.
Quarq and SRM are the no brainers if you have the mega cash but based on all my reading and research the P2M with Rotor 3D+ is the way to go I believe. I personally wouldn't even consider the Pioneer, 4iii and definitely not Stages.

Soldato
We were discussing the PowerTap P1 Pedals in the last Cycling thread before it was closed. Very similarly priced to the Vectors and a little easier to transfer.

Probably where my money will go in all likelihood, in fact I e-mailed a LBS this morning to see how competitive they were willing to be :p

Back
Top Bottom