Road Cycling

Soldato
I'd still choose the Vector 2's since they are revised and well established on the market. Those PowerTap pedals are still new and unknown.

Although that may be a poop logic regarding revisions.... See Stages for example! :p

Soldato
The pricing will be interesting. Whilst Dura-Ace is the top of the range groupset, they can't totally ignore other power meter pricing. It could also drive down other pricing when it's announced. Which is the main reason for waiting. I think the mechanical pricing is due out soon, as that will be releasing first (around Autumn I think they said). Then Di2/power meter, and then the hydraulic discs in around March 2017. They said they have only had a fully working prototype groupset working for about 2 months. Everything before then was tested alongside the previous Dura-Ace system.

The Pioneer system gets a good review by DCRainmaker, but it is a bit expensive.

What system are you using xdcx? I know Thomas.Please is using the P2M with Rotor 3D+ and rates is very highly.

DCRainmaker said he asked if there was temperature correction (like the P2M and Elsa RS) and didn't clear a clear answer on it, so he will be chasing that up. Given how much the temperature can change on a ride (especially in the UK) it seems a bit weird if they don't have it on a top of the line meter like the Dura-Ace one. P2M might be winning again there!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I expect pricing will be high. Dura Ace has become relatively affordable lately, so they might feel there's room to exploit at the top end. Campagnolo super record eps sells for about £2.5k and SRAM red etap is not far off £2k. Current di2 dura ace is £1.6k or thereabouts. If expect them to come in at about £2k.

Soldato
What system are you using xdcx? I know Thomas.Please is using the P2M with Rotor 3D+ and rates is very highly.

I have Garmin Vector 1's. Never had a single issue with them at all and I switch them between summer/winter/TT bike regularly.... That was until last ight where they appear to have been under-reading by 30-40 watts. But that is literally the first ever issue I have seen.

I like them, but given the money in my pocket was present, I would be buying a P2M with Rotor 3D+ definitely for my racing and TT bike. So that pretty much means it is never going to happen haha.

Soldato
I have Garmin Vector 1's. Never had a single issue with them at all and I switch them between summer/winter/TT bike regularly.... That was until last ight where they appear to have been under-reading by 30-40 watts. But that is literally the first ever issue I have seen.

I like them, but given the money in my pocket was present, I would be buying a P2M with Rotor 3D+ definitely for my racing and TT bike. So that pretty much means it is never going to happen haha.

I liked my ones, but the upgrade to 2 ironed out a number of issues I had as well as the speed of pairing/calibration etc. Got two sets of them, one stay on the TT bike as I don't want to ruin the carbon and swap the others around my road bikes.

Didn't realise the di2 was actually lighter than mechanical all in. And lighter higher up where it's most imporant in the grand scheme of things.

a question I posed elsewhere

I assume the synchro shifting is just coding, so in theory should be transferrable to current di2 groupsets at some point? Sounds absolutely perfect for TTs, but can't afford to dura-ace it up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you bother using a proper torque wrench to fit them, or do you just use a regular pedal wrench? I'm expecting my Vector S set in the post imminently, so I'm wondering whether it's worth picking up a big torque wrench and crow foot adapter.

Man of Honour
OP
Do you bother using a proper torque wrench to fit them, or do you just use a regular pedal wrench? I'm expecting my Vector S set in the post imminently, so I'm wondering whether it's worth picking up a big torque wrench and crow foot adapter.

You went for Vectors in the end? I thought you'd ordered a 4iiii?

Soldato

I have a torque wrench but only use it when I can be bothered. I sort of know the pressure required in my head now, which is quite tight. TT bike is static and torqued which is the most important measure for me.

Soldato
Yes. The synchro shift update will be coming to Ultegra Di2 and current Dura-Ace. Just needs the newer battery. Apparently the old one is running out of space for all the firmware bits.

As far as I can tell, you can program how you want it to shift. By default it does the entire back cassette, then front shifts with a back adjustment. And then des the entire cassette again. From what I can tell. The new chainring profile on new R9100 fixing a lot of cross chaining issues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You went for Vectors in the end? I thought you'd ordered a 4iiii?

I posted about this at the last minute in the old thread, so you probably missed it!

Probikekit couldn't assure me that the Precision would be delivered this side of never, so I had a quick flick around on ebay and came across a Vector S set on Buy It Now or Best Offer. I offered £330 plus £9 shipping and got it. Boom. They usually go for closer to £400, so that's a great deal. Add on a set of Look cleats for £10 and it comes in at the same price as the Precision.

It's only first edition Vector and only single sided, but you can upgrade it piece by piece if you want, and in any case the original Vector S set reviewed pretty well and has held up well, so I should be OK. The pods look daft, but what can you do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really any links to the info? Interesting, synchro shift for me :cool:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/shimano-dura-ace-power-meter.html/comment-page-1#comment-1574522

Best info is probably here. Go to the "DI2 ELECTRONIC SHIFTING CHANGES" section.

There is a new ANT/Bluetooth wireless transmitter which is used for configuration too via an Android/iOS app. I the the GCN Q&A that I posted on the front page also has info on the Di2 updates for Dura-Ace 9070 and Ultegra 6870.

The other cool thing they mentioned is that the hydraulic shifters will be getting the top-button added back in (the one on top of the hoods, that current Dura-Ace shifters have) and that you'll be able to use it for shifting too! They didn't say whether that update will roll-back to current Dura-Ace shifters (it could well do, again, it's only software).

Apologies for all the geeking out on this stuff: I'm an electronic engineer, so I find it all fascinating :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I posted about this at the last minute in the old thread, so you probably missed it!

Probikekit couldn't assure me that the Precision would be delivered this side of never, so I had a quick flick around on ebay and came across a Vector S set on Buy It Now or Best Offer. I offered £330 plus £9 shipping and got it. Boom. They usually go for closer to £400, so that's a great deal. Add on a set of Look cleats for £10 and it comes in at the same price as the Precision.

It's only first edition Vector and only single sided, but you can upgrade it piece by piece if you want, and in any case the original Vector S set reviewed pretty well and has held up well, so I should be OK. The pods look daft, but what can you do.

Ah, awesome. If Vectors came with SPD cleat options I'd certainly have considered them myself :)

Soldato
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/shimano-dura-ace-power-meter.html/comment-page-1#comment-1574522

Best info is probably here. Go to the "DI2 ELECTRONIC SHIFTING CHANGES" section.

There is a new ANT/Bluetooth wireless transmitter which is used for configuration too via an Android/iOS app. I the the GCN Q&A that I posted on the front page also has info on the Di2 updates for Dura-Ace 9070 and Ultegra 6870.

The other cool thing they mentioned is that the hydraulic shifters will be getting the top-button added back in (the one on top of the hoods, that current Dura-Ace shifters have) and that you'll be able to use it for shifting too! They didn't say whether that update will roll-back to current Dura-Ace shifters (it could well do, again, it's only software).

Apologies for all the geeking out on this stuff: I'm an electronic engineer, so I find it all fascinating :o

Awesome thanks. I bet it wont be long before they roll out auto shifting if using a powermeter with integrated cadence meter. Just set the cadence range you ride within and it will synchroshift automatically when you are below or above a certain cadence range with corresponding increase or decrease of torque.

No problem I'm an engineer as well (electronic/RF and microwave)

Back
Top Bottom