Road Cycling

Soldato
arm warmers -

Castelli Thermoflex Arm Warmers - seems to be the go to ones? Anyone got them, sizing etc??

I have the Thermoflex arm (& knee) warmers and am impressed by them. They do have a very fine fleece like lining which is lovely in very chilly weather but be warned in milder weather whilst they aren't prone to causing overheating they do mask just how much you might be sweating very well.

Size large fits a 16" bicep snuggly, no idea how long my arms are but at 5'10" I'm not gangly and have an inch or two to play with under the jersey sleeve.

Soldato
New Vittoria tyres, didn't realise they had a slight tread on the shoulders. Doesn't matter.

So tight to get over fulcrum rim I snapped two park tyre levers! Had to use a metal MTB one to get it on! Went over the H Plus Son rim easier, but I could fit the old tyres by hand almost though!

Slack Rim by the sounds of things :p (giggling to myself here)

Soldato
I am intrigued... *raises eyebrow*

If you do next time give me a shout as it's not far from me at all :)

Monday's aren't so bad after all...

Power pedal sweetness in spoiler
iMOGfdel.jpg

sDhM7pJl.jpg

Nice getting the pedals!

DCRainmaker has a review of the Elemnt. The turn-by-turn navigation has been added, and works really well.

The readability of the screen is great. The amount of customisation is insane. I personally don't have a problem with the buttons at all. All setup is done via your mobile phone, it's so easy. Best price is on Wiggle with premium discount. The mount is different to a Garmin, but Wahoo include 3 mounts for it.

It auto uploads rides, syncs up to Strava, RideWithGPS, TrainingPeaks too (I think) as well as a few others.

Overall: I'm very happy with mine. Wahoo have been great at sorting out issues via firmware updates. Oh, and it can control the Kickr (if you own one) and will soon be able to control other trainers with ANT+ FE-C (think that's the protocol name?).

Soldato
Nice getting the pedals!

DCRainmaker has a review of the Elemnt. The turn-by-turn navigation has been added, and works really well.

/snip/

I was having a read on my lunch of his review. How have you found the battery life it seemed a bit on the low side 10-15 hours, charging isn't really that much of an issue for me but if you happen to forget the never ending battery life on my 500 is quite handy. Though on a 520/810 this might be significantly lower.

£219 with Platinum discount, 3% Quidco of course too. Bold claim from a review on wiggle :p :

If you have a garmin - buying this will be like going from a Windows machine to a Mac. If that makes sense to you - buy this product :)

Soldato
Certainly - have to drag some others out too! Was a pretty ad hoc ride this time (like most of mine!) as I suggested to friend to have a BBQ the night before.

I'm in Aylesbury so 10-15m away though Thame/Chinnor are nice places to start/finish and a bit closer too.

Soldato
I was having a read on my lunch of his review. How have you found the battery life it seemed a bit on the low side 10-15 hours, charging isn't really that much of an issue for me but if you happen to forget the never ending battery life on my 500 is quite handy. Though on a 520/810 this might be significantly lower.

£219 with Platinum discount, 3% Quidco of course too. Bold claim from a review on wiggle :p :

The battery isn't amazing. That's probably my one worry. I'd say 10-15 hours is about right: perhaps firmware updates can improve it? I haven't actually tested exactly how long it lasts without charging. I can run a test this weekend and see how it does.

Soldato
Well..70 miles fasted. Can't say it was pleasant towards the end :eek:

Were you not eating at all during the ride? :/ Don't think I've ridden fasted for more than 2-2.5hours.

There have been studies showing negligible difference between fat burn rates for fed state/fasted CV but I don't think they've looked in to the effects of fat adaption or fuel source adapation.

@BennyC - when are you taking those pedals out for a spin? :)

I'll stick them on this evening (and change my cleats too) and get it all set up on the turbo. Fiddling around with my Garmin more than usual whilst on the road is a sure fire way to end up under a bus with a nice set of PM Pedals sticking out :p

10-15 hours is really not much worse than a Garmin 810 tbh.

Yeah, I can't see a ride being anywhere near that length! Worst case take a small & light portable USB 2,000mah or so to charge it up.

The only benefit of having to plug in to upload rides is that I often forget to unplug and it gets charged in the process. Lights and other gadgets need charging semi-frequently so wouldn't be too difficult to establish a routine, regardless of which unit I end up with.

Buying an 810 with the 820 looming does seem a bit like old tech. Though I've been looking forward to a colour screen but can't actually justify any real need for it, except the price point.

Soldato
The only benefit of having to plug in to upload rides is that I often forget to unplug and it gets charged in the process. Lights and other gadgets need charging semi-frequently so wouldn't be too difficult to establish a routine, regardless of which unit I end up with.

My 810 ensures it gets charged enough by randomly crashing and making me download the corrupted file from it via cable regularly. :D

Soldato
I don't see the benefit of a colour screen at all on a GPS. The screen on the Elemnt is truely gorgeous.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=134b8a4db89d27a6aa53769527c9dbe2&oe=5831C7CE Hopefully you can see that image: Taken in bright sunshine. Still readable. I was testing out a potential power meter field location, hence the watts :p

The beauty if you can customise the fields. Higher priority at the top. As you zoom in, the lower ones disappear, and the higher prio gets bigger.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Were you not eating at all during the ride? :/ Don't think I've ridden fasted for more than 2-2.5hours.

There have been studies showing negligible difference between fat burn rates for fed state/fasted CV but I don't think they've looked in to the effects of fat adaption or fuel source adapation.

Yup, aside from some BCAAs at the start it was completely fasted. Tbh it's not something I plan to make a habit of and really it was just to fulfil a couple of aims:

1) See if I could do it :p
2) Kick-start my week given my utter laziness of late. I wanted to do something fairly quick where I'd suffer at the time but not be too badly affected on subsequent days.

My 'fasted' rides for the foreseeable will mostly involve me cycling up to 10 miles to work and then back home (4 miles) for lunch a few hours later. I'm not sure how good or bad that is but it feels like it kind of balances a good approach vs what is practical for me. Happy to be shot down /re that of course ;)

Oh yeah..I might get the odd ~25ish recovery spin in too.

I'll stick them on this evening (and change my cleats too) and get it all set up on the turbo. Fiddling around with my Garmin more than usual whilst on the road is a sure fire way to end up under a bus with a nice set of PM Pedals sticking out :p

Yeah...People joke about that but I've actually had a few close calls myself. The numbers are so hypnotising :eek: Turbo is definitely a good way to get used to it.

Yeah, I can't see a ride being anywhere near that length! Worst case take a small & light portable USB 2,000mah or so to charge it up.

Buying an 810 with the 820 looming does seem a bit like old tech. Though I've been looking forward to a colour screen but can't actually justify any real need for it, except the price point.

Yeah, for very long rides I just take a portable battery but it's quite rare that I really need one. Useful to have the battery in case my phone gets used heavily in the evening too (boring youth hostels in the Lakes, I'm looking at you).

To be honest I'd seriously consider the 520 if you want a colour screen and BT upload but otherwise similar setup to your 500. A friend of mine has one and it's pretty nifty. The only real issue aside from the lack of touch screen is the limited storage for maps. You can easily cover your regular riding haunts and simply swap out the map files when you go further afield though.

...or just get a 1000 :p

edit: The Elemnt does intrigue me though. The display seems really crisp as madindehead has posted above.

Soldato
Wahoo are really out doing themselves with firmware updates. They have some extra stuff planned for later this year, and more into next year. Really responsive to feedback too. Has Di2 integration too ofc.

Soldato
My 'fasted' rides for the foreseeable will mostly involve me cycling up to 10 miles to work and then back home (4 miles) for lunch a few hours later. I'm not sure how good or bad that is but it feels like it kind of balances a good approach vs what is practical for me. Happy to be shot down /re that of course ;)

Oh yeah..I might get the odd ~25ish recovery spin in too.

That sounds perfectly fine to be honest. There's no immediate need to eat post exercise unless it's savagely intense and/or you've not eaten well prior.

I don't think I'd advocate such long rides fasted, though to some extent effort/exertion will come in to play but sooner or later you will hypo. Around 2-2.5 hours of a moderate intensity is ideal I find. A tough start with some steady progress in the middle and then ramp it up again towards the end so you're not a million miles from home if you do start to flag. I'd always take some food with me even on a fasted ride, so I hope you did the same :)

Regardless of if I plan to stop somewhere along the way you never know what could happen so having something can be a god send. On this basis I always keep some water and snacks in the car.

To be honest I'd seriously consider the 520 if you want a colour screen and BT upload but otherwise similar setup to your 500. A friend of mine has one and it's pretty nifty. The only real issue aside from the lack of touch screen is the limited storage for maps. You can easily cover your regular riding haunts and simply swap out the map files when you go further afield though.

...or just get a 1000 :p

edit: The Elemnt does intrigue me though. The display seems really crisp as madindehead has posted above.

Wahoo are really out doing themselves with firmware updates. They have some extra stuff planned for later this year, and more into next year. Really responsive to feedback too. Has Di2 integration too ofc.

It has world maps :eek: on it from the off :eek: (bar Russia & China which download once it recognises you're in the country).

I'll do some more reading. Madindehead, has/is turn-by-turn arrived/coming soon. (There's a sentence :p)

Soldato
It has world maps :eek: on it from the off :eek: (bar Russia & China which download once it recognises you're in the country).

I'll do some more reading. Madindehead, has/is turn-by-turn arrived/coming soon. (There's a sentence :p)

Turn-by-turn has now been added. And it works really well. DCRainmaker did a post on it, and there is a small clip on the Wahoo website showing how it works.

Soldato
With the constant problems I'm having with my Edge, I'm seriously contemplating moving my 1000 on. But want to actually have a play with one first! It is only gps issues but means I'm having to plug it in all the time last few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom