Road Cycling

Soldato
I currently ride a 2014 Supersix Evo HiMod with Sram Red. I bought this bike last year as it was going "cheap" as it was an old model but one of the downsides are its rear stays are narrow and as such a Gp4000 SII 25mm tyre just fits with careful fitment.
My question is if i was to go for a slightly wider rim internal/external thickness will this increase the width of the tyre itself?
I am looking to get a new set of wheels but most modern wheels are wider.

Soldato
I currently ride a 2014 Supersix Evo HiMod with Sram Red. I bought this bike last year as it was going "cheap" as it was an old model but one of the downsides are its rear stays are narrow and as such a Gp4000 SII 25mm tyre just fits with careful fitment.
My question is if i was to go for a slightly wider rim internal/external thickness will this increase the width of the tyre itself?

Wider rims will likely balloon the tyre up a bit.

Soldato
Probably as Saytan has said. Imagine the cross section of the tyre as a piece of wire looped around. The closer the two ends are the tighter the curve is so a wider rim (ends further apart) results in a wider curve. I would imagine the difference would be small but if things are already tight then it certainly isn't going to help.

Soldato
Sheeesh, sorry to hear about that mate, had high hopes they'd just replace it!

Pretty poor 'warranty' then, surprised to hear that from a brand like Cannondale. :(

EDIT: Surprised but Cannondale 'don't warranty their frames for crashes'. Loads of horror stories of people being short changed by their 'lifetime warranty'. :o :(

Yeah really frustrating, stated other damage/impact caused it and it wasn't a structural failure. Going to get it sent up to Rob Hayles, local repair place about same price after postage taken into account, but lead time is huge.

Ah, you mean who to send it with? I crammed a bike into a box to meet hermes' size limits. And prayed.

He's suggested Parcel Force so will give them a go. Going to have fun stripping it down for him.

Soldato
Rob has just patched up a disc for me, not seen the results yet but he was quick to turn it round (and didn't mind me turning up during a family Sunday lunch to drop it off, nice bloke!). My SuperSix is currently with Target Composites in Warrington getting the seatstay repaired after last year's contretemps with a motorbike, have you asked them for a quote too? Check out their Facebook for examples of their work.

Interesting experience when I took the frame in for repair - the stay was cracked completely but the guy at Target seemed relatively unconcerned given all the other tubes holding the bike together. Interesting how actual experts perceive the fragility of carbon vs all the "experts" on the web.

Soldato
Cool, I think I had a quote from them and they were more expensive. Asked about 10 different companies, Rob was the most engaging, descriptive and got relatively quick turnaround, not that I need it, just need it back by mid May. He seems confident with it though, and looking on facebook has done some cracking work.

Soldato
I started to feel like I had been hammering it for the best part of an hour... Not ~15 minutes! Nothing left in the legs after the short steep bit of Taunton Avenue, gasping a bit a bit for breath, so a prompt warm down and called it a day.:(
Higher weekly mileage than usual? Could just be increased fatigue, if not then it can be an indication of illness starting to show. :(

I found the Strava 'Fitness & Freshness' graph very interesting when I first started trying to understand Form & Fitness. Only available on Strava Premium & think you need a HRM to use it (it calculates your intensity, fitness from ride accumulation & rest). It doesn't help you to 'plan' much, but is a good start to understanding how much rest is required from higher intensity riding.
oIWZFtI.jpg

As Saytan mentioned the tyre will 'balloon' a little so the width will be affected a little. Bear in mind the air 'volume' won't significantly change so the overall depth of the tyre (distance from rim to tyre tread) will be shorter due to the wider rim, if you've tight clearances then swapping between tyre manufacturers can make a difference. Mitchelin Pro4 Endurance 25mm were really tight through the bridge mounting point of the mudguards on my Giant Defy and I saw lots of catching and rubbing. Switching to Continental (GP 4 Seasons/GP 4000 SII) gave more clearance. It was a case of as small as 1 millimetre making a big difference to clearance there for me. Many of the older road bike frames were made with 23mm tyres in mind, the more recent trend towards 25mm (and wider rims) can make things very tricky on lots of older frames.
A whole working week of nice dry weather! Who'd have thunk it ;)
Where have you been? Frost here Wednesday morning & bitter cold winds this morning (windchill -2) with forecast high winds and rain for the commute home! Weekend is also pretty much a write off due to rain & winds, FFS! :(
He's suggested Parcel Force so will give them a go. Going to have fun stripping it down for him.
Hate to say it, but give MyHermes a go and insure it for the full amount... If you remember what they did with those Northwave boots I tried to send you! (Although check their T&C's as I'm unaware if there's any bike exclusions there) ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've just spent a bit of my lunch hour fixing the inner tube that got busted this morning, so I've got a ready spare in the event that I get another puncture on the way home! That'd be just my luck...

Soldato
I think i have the same frame or maybe 2015 version. However, I am running GP4000s 25s fitted to Fulcrum Quattro carbons. the rims are 24.2mm wide. Not exactly sure on internal width - maybe 17mm and clearance is not an issue. Certainly not on the rear. More likely to be an issue on a narrower rim from what my logic would say.

Soldato
I've just spent a bit of my lunch hour fixing the inner tube that got busted this morning, so I've got a ready spare in the event that I get another puncture on the way home! That'd be just my luck...
Rubbish! Well worth leaving a spare at work! I've got several scattered around the place as I ended up with 20 new tubes at one point last year. A fair few have been used and I've started to track them down as I ran short at home (think there's 2 or 3 at my parents place and I've not ridden there for 6 months+!).

Really must patch the ones in my garage, put some hooks up last weekend and I've got 6 tubes literally hanging around! :rolleyes:

Have a good weekend all, Zwift for me I think. 30mph winds here along with some scattered showers. Got a garden shed & greenhouse to assemble avoiding the rain but want to get out tomorrow morning if it's not too bad! :cool:

Soldato
There's nothing like fixing a puncture in the pouring rain to remind you why you love cycling.

I got one puncture last year. I'm up to three already this year. Arse.
Possible sign that your tyres have had it?

I've been pretty lucky of late, only one real puncture in the last year and I was getting them pretty regularly.

Unfortunately in the grim fog and -2'C conditions I missed the tiny flint still stuck in the tyre so got another flat the following ride!

I was expecting to insta bin the cheap CX tyres on the winter machine but they've been alright really considering the conditions they've endured.

Soldato
Had the whole week off and all I've managed to fit in was a cycle back from fixing a car on Monday and 35 minutes on the turbo there doing 10 x 1 minute efforts(I take ages to warm up). The weather is just pants at the moment.

May try and meet the 9.30am group tomorrow and see what happens, should be a crosswind, tail wind and then a crosswind for the home straight but we shall see!

Caporegime
Possible sign that your tyres have had it?
Nah, only the one today was a legit puncture through the tyre. One was a pinch flat where I fell into a pothole so deep I had to shout up for a ladder to get out. The other was on the inside of the tube, like rimside.

And @Roady - I've got a bunch of spares at home so I'm going to bring a couple to work and I've also ordered some more patches and co2 to keep at work so I'm ready for anything...

Last edited:
Soldato
Look what landed on my doorstep today :)

2017 Canyon Aeroad 8.0 Di2 Disc

- Ultegra Di2
- Shimano R785 Hyro disc brakes
- Reynolds Strike Carbon wheels – disc
- Canyon Aero Cockpit

Weight: 7.8kg

33338593872_97ae78463e_o.jpg

The one piece aero cockpit with intergrated Garmin mount

32680449643_a228dcbbb3_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom