Road Cycling

Soldato
Gator hardshells, you can’t puncture if you’re sliding backwards into a hedge. :D
4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.rsquare.w400.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I just couldn't face doing a 90 minute threshold ride in the shed on the weekend so I decided that rain or no rain, I'm going outside.

Probably over did it in the end as I went out with the full shebang. thermal base layer, winter coat, thermal legwarmers and overshoes. Got to a point I was feeling pretty warm but never uncomfortably so but I much rather that than feel cold because I am a massive fanny and a tiny bit of chill has me whinging :cry:

Enjoyed the ride in the end. Was only 50km as I had to get back, clean the house and walk the dog before picking my partner up from the train station.

Really got me wanting those summer days though.

Soldato
Well I hope the weather stays rubbish as now my bike has decided it doesn’t want to shift gears at the rear any more. The shifter clicks when I press the part to go into a harder gear and nothing when I press to go into an easier gear. Neither action actually even moves the RD though.

Tried to complete my workout by manually moving the chain to the middle of the cassette but it just moves down onto the smallest cog. Day ruined lol.

Soldato
Sounds like new bike time

Honestly, was sat on the floor this morning very much thinking the same thing! Poor neighbours probably heard me having a paddy at 6:10am :cry: "Wouldn't get this BS with Di2 :mad:". Luckily my LBS just told me to pop it up this week and they'll have a look. I am hoping it's just a case of replacing the cables and having it indexed rather than the actual shifter being broken. To be fair, I've done 10K on it it and it hasn't been serviced before, only had the chain replaced so it's definitely due one.

Half tempted to try a run this evening but I'm really not a runner so the enthusiasm isn't there but I'm going to feel lethargic now.

If nothing else, when the time for a new bike does finally come, it'll feel much sweeter now.

Soldato
Yeah, sounds like something has probably worn. I'd have thought a cassette would need changing on it too. Maybe a good chance to get an 11-34 fitted and get a small boost on hills?

I'll see what the damage is when they have a look at it. There's 105 di2 in stock for £1000 nearby. If the shifter needs replacing and a few other parts, probably just makes sense to get a brand new group set. Not that I really want to spend that money at the moment :(

Soldato
Absolutely miserable day. Didn't go out yesterday as i was rushing around during lunch/after work. Wanted to make sure i got out today as i know i'll be busy over the weekend and unknown whether i'll get to ride. The last 2 weeks since my 100km have been really low volume for various reasons and so i'm keen to reverse the trend.

Set off with some grey skies, which then opened to horizontal hail and strong side winds after 5 minutes. My bikes is currently soaking and i can't be bothered trying to go dry it, but i know i should. This isn't meant to happen in Spain :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
I know I'm tempting fate now, but I've had Gator Hardshells on my winter bike for 2 months now riding in some pretty bad conditions and I don't think I've had a puncture with them, which for me, is kind of amazing! I check them now and then, like today I picked two bits of stone/flint out with no worries. One was huge too! I guess the rubber itself might not be too different from faster tyres, but maybe the layer/lining under the rubber is what makes the difference?
They are nick named skatorskins for a reason though...

Back
Top Bottom