Road Cycling

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nutrition prices are absolutely nuts. I've been looking at solid bar options and all the cycling specific ones are in the region of £5-6/hour if you're targeting 80-100g of carbs. I've bought some more Nakd bars and will just mix up my own drinks (combination of caster sugar and maltodextrin giving a 1:0.8 mix of glucose and fructose).

Its mad what people will pay. On cycling reddit people are raving about Skratch. Its ~£40 for 840g. That could be pushing £10 on a longer ride. Madness.

Soldato
Mad what people will pay for things that have fancy packaging and are pimped by influencers. Theres a reason people want to be an influencer. Big money. The likes of athletic greens with their £100/month greens powder etc.
My other half does some Influencer stuffs, but mostly just competitions. Won me a Sage Barista Express on Twitter back in January so I've really left her to it... She figured out by end of March the stuff she'd won/had free for 'product testing'/Influencer/kids book reviews, it was actually more value than her wage (which will admit that isn't great - 2.5 days a week admin in a college). It takes a lot of work to actually make real money from running a YouTube channel or such - you need massive numbers of impressions/followers/click throughs. But for free products to use, if you can get in with the right companies pretty good. And the time to do it, she must spend 15-20+ hours a week on the social networks (damn, how old does that make me sound!) just entering hundreds of competitions.

Nutrition prices are absolutely nuts. I've been looking at solid bar options and all the cycling specific ones are in the region of £5-6/hour if you're targeting 80-100g of carbs. I've bought some more Nakd bars and will just mix up my own drinks (combination of caster sugar and maltodextrin giving a 1:0.8 mix of glucose and fructose).
NAKD bars regularly available in supermarket deals/tesco clubcard special pricing/etc too. Last time I looked the multibuy 3 boxes of 4x bars put them at <55p a bar. Prices tend to be more stable and a bit more on Amazon, but they do the boxes of 18 and certain flavours are regularly on deals - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nakd-Salted-Caramel-35g-Bar/dp/B07L9JKP76

Its mad what people will pay. On cycling reddit people are raving about Skratch. Its ~£40 for 840g. That could be pushing £10 on a longer ride. Madness.
Sheeeeeesh. Dentists!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Yep! I use gels as they serve a specific purpose, and similarly use Cliff Shot Blokz for long runs (more than a half mara) as they're the only things I can keep eating without it causing stomach issues, but otherwise I just buy supermarket flapjacks/energy bars, and if I need a carb drink I'll bring a Lucozade, or mix 50/50 orange juice and water and add half a teaspoon of salt. And it's totally fine. I'm never going to be an elite cyclist, so don't need the extra 20% that "proper" nutrition will give me.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My other half does some Influencer stuffs, but mostly just competitions. Won me a Sage Barista Express on Twitter back in January so I've really left her to it... She figured out by end of March the stuff she'd won/had free for 'product testing'/Influencer/kids book reviews, it was actually more value than her wage (which will admit that isn't great - 2.5 days a week admin in a college). It takes a lot of work to actually make real money from running a YouTube channel or such - you need massive numbers of impressions/followers/click throughs. But for free products to use, if you can get in with the right companies pretty good. And the time to do it, she must spend 15-20+ hours a week on the social networks (damn, how old does that make me sound!) just entering hundreds of competitions.

Sounds like she makes about what she would make from a job if she spends that much time on socials to win those competitions and then you could spend that money on whatever you want! :p . She needs to reach out to Skratch and hook us all up!

Would be interesting to see how much more time women spend on social media than men. My partner is on mat leave at the moment and I reckon she spends about 6+ hours a day in some way on social media. Some of it is useful, a lot of it is just doom scrolling.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yep! I use gels as they serve a specific purpose, and similarly use Cliff Shot Blokz for long runs (more than a half mara) as they're the only things I can keep eating without it causing stomach issues, but otherwise I just buy supermarket flapjacks/energy bars, and if I need a carb drink I'll bring a Lucozade, or mix 50/50 orange juice and water and add half a teaspoon of salt. And it's totally fine. I'm never going to be an elite cyclist, so don't need the extra 20% that "proper" nutrition will give me.

For me its not the extra 20% I am after, its just the recovery. If I don't fuel enough on my rides I feel it for days longer than I should. That being said, I doubt the branded ones would make that much difference over my homemade one.

Caporegime
a lot of those comments are probably PR bots working for advertising agencies and people given it for free

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
a lot of those comments are probably PR bots working for advertising agencies and people given it for free

I dunno, I just think there are a lot of American cyclists who have a lot of money. Things are a little cheaper over there for some products as well. I'm always amazed at what some of the youtubers over there have when it comes to home workshops etc and they have bang average jobs. Like, newish pickup truck, fancy racks, 3 top of the range bikes, fully kitted out bike workshops etc.

Soldato
For me its not the extra 20% I am after, its just the recovery. If I don't fuel enough on my rides I feel it for days longer than I should. That being said, I doubt the branded ones would make that much difference over my homemade one.
Yeah agreed, although for me that's just getting enough calories and hydration in in a way which doesn't upset my stomach. A mix of gels, juice/sports drinks, and Nakd bars and similar does the job

Soldato
Trying to make it a mission to get out for at least 30mins each day in this week's sunshine, kind of regretting my little loop of inclines last night, will have to be something really really easy on relative flat after dinner... Feeling pretty wiped today, not helped by rubbish sleep last night!

Soldato
Absolutely glorious tonight in Richmond, and surprisingly not too busy for a change

Edit: Crikey, I posted this on my phone and didn't realise how large the picture was. Spoiler tags added!

1000031909.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of strange nutrition choices here. What are we amatuers? SIS and High5? Really??

Fancy trying something different, up your game and try Stykr, Maurten (which are jelly gels, instead of the sweet cack liquid gel that you get with SIS and high5). Lastly, if you're going 5 to 7 hours and hitting the wall, grab a HolyFat bar. They'll give you a nice steady pace to keep grinding.

Soldato
Lots of strange nutrition choices here. What are we amatuers? SIS and High5? Really??

Fancy trying something different, up your game and try Stykr, Maurten (which are jelly gels, instead of the sweet cack liquid gel that you get with SIS and high5). Lastly, if you're going 5 to 7 hours and hitting the wall, grab a HolyFat bar. They'll give you a nice steady pace to keep grinding.
Just poor people. Just have a peanut butter and jam sandwich and a banana.

Soldato
otherwise I'll generally be on hydro tabs (High5) to flavour my bottles and stop cramping and more grainy/fruity type bars to fuel me. NAKD, TRIBE or anything generic 'breakfast bar' which has nuts and grains in I'll use...

Same, annoyingly stuff is never cheap over here, and SIS stuff is the RRP of ~€8 a tube. I got my parents to stock up on the cheap Amazon ones when they drove back to the UK in March :D

Brilliant for hangovers or pretty much any lethargy i find.

TVSKxya.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom