Road rage.. who gets it?

Soldato
Something I can never get is road rage. I can't really get annoyed at the wheel, and will naturally joke in disebelief. That's not to say I drive around like Ned Flanders as people do wind me up, but my anger is limited to "peeved".

I can't imagine getting so angry at someone that I'd need to scream at them flailing my hands about, or have to get out the car and start a full scale fist fight over them travelling at 20 in a 40, or whatever it happens to be.

So, who here will admit to being a little too hot-headed behind the wheel? Also, who's got out of the car to "start something" before? :eek:

Soldato
OP
I don't think I'd ever get out of my car to confront someone purely because they had performed some dodgy driving. I'm of the opinion that we've lives to get on with, so let's leave it at that.

I also see opening someone's car door as a MAJOR line to cross. I was discussing this with a friend of mine earlier today, and he seemed almost shocked when I said that if someone was trying to pull me out of the car by breaking in, the moment they had gained physical access, I would use the car as a tool of escape :p

Soldato
OP
There is NEVER an excuse for physical violence apart from in self-defence. Retaliation for even the most dangerous driving should NOT become physical. If you want to get angry in your car then fair enough.
I agree.

About 3 years ago some guy thought I cut him up at a roundabout. In reality, he was in the wrong lane and tried to overtake everyone and then nip in front. Unfortunately, I was going faster than him from the start, so it failed and he had to filter at the last minute.

A little further ahead we entered traffic at a standstill. His mistake was making himself so obvious - he tried to completely block my car from moving with his. I nipped the windows up and locked the doors (central locking). He came up to my car having just boiled over and tried to punch my window in. Punch punch punch, but he was having no luck. After every punch (he was really trying) I was sitting there thinking "what an idiot" as his fist recoiled, and I could see in his not-so-angry face that his hand was hurting pretty badly. He gave up, told me he was "gonna get me" and got back in his car. He went in front of me and then started trying to push his way through the traffic ahead.

I later found where he lived and reported it to the police. I didn't expect nor really want anything to come of what he tried to do to me, but if this guy tries and succeeds at anything like this in the future, he'll have a record of it.

To this day I always lock my doors. I have the car set now to lock the doors as soon as I drive above 10mph, so as soon as I leave my house they are locked.

If that guy had broken in to my car I didn't know what I'd have done. I thought about it, and worked out that the best thing to do is run them over. No matter how strong they are a car is going to overpower them. If someone is going to physically attack me then I feel I have the right to retaliate with my car :)
he was lucky that it was just fists, if i had been a tad less angry i may have thought about taking the wheel brace out the boot.
That's so dangerous for you, though. What if you're starting on someone who's got a gun in their coat? If you start smashing their car in and he shoots you square between the eyes it won't matter whether your family had a "near miss" today, as you'll be dead.

If you were walking towards me and you had a wheel brace in your hands, two thoughts would be going through my head: run him over now, or run him over when he hits the car. That would be the toss-up, but you would be getting run over. I've never run someone over before and so you'd be the test subject of how much force it takes to disable someone. I just think that's all so not worth it for everyone involved...

I started this topic as yesterday someone very angrily stormed over to my car at set of traffic lights after following me for miles. I was ready to reverse over him sideways as he stood next to my driver's door, but instead the lights went green and I just drove off too fast for him to keep up. I had very few choices to guarantee my safety, one of which was potentially lethal, all because he he has anger problems. It just seems ridiculous!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom