Robot Wars - gone for good?

Associate
I can remeber the battle for independance championship they did between the usa and uk. IIRC all the us robots were petrol and the uk ones electric. i don't think the us guys knew about sgt bash and its flamethrower:D

Also i think razor punctured one of the petrol tanks on one of them!:D

I miss Robot Wars. It was ace!

Soldato
Liverpool-Lad said:
Anyone remember Killerhurtz with the big axe?

yep. very nice looking robot that was. i remember it from the first few series when they used to do the challenges etc. never really got far..

Soldato
i liked it before it got a bit silly, never liked chaos 2, i always wanted razor to win as it was such an impressive machine

and why cassius never won i will never know

Associate
EVH said:
I liked Razer for it's slick design, and also because it was innovative and well thought out but the stupid tornado team with their rubbish "add ons" aka the massive-anti-pit-cage-add-on really ruined it for me..

How sad that they had to stoop so low to beat Razer :rolleyes:

Ooooh I was sooo angry when they had that Razer/Tornado showdown. Tornado comes along with this mahoosive great scaffold around it and this spinning disk/blade they just tacked on.

Not to mention the size and weight limits being breached fo sure, the scaffold effectively meant Razer couldn't reach anything technical. I couldn't beleive the judges allowed it.

Soldato
JCBeastie said:
Ooooh I was sooo angry when they had that Razer/Tornado showdown. Tornado comes along with this mahoosive great scaffold around it and this spinning disk/blade they just tacked on.

Not to mention the size and weight limits being breached fo sure, the scaffold effectively meant Razer couldn't reach anything technical. I couldn't beleive the judges allowed it.
yeah i found that really annoying.
i thought it was unfair that they could change their weapons to beat the opposition,because changing weapons imo is like using a different robot.
tornado would own razer with that stupid scaffold but that would have no effect on chaos2 and chaos 2 would probably own tornado.

Soldato
Okay then

<geek mode activate>

Houserobots: Sgt Bash, Matilda, Sir Killalot, Dead Metal & Shunt

About Cassius & Chaos 2..

Look back to the early days, there were two robots, Recyclops and Robot The Bruce. Both came out of the workshop of Rex Garrod, Recyclops was his own solo entry, and Robot the Bruce, the entry of a young George Francis.

When Cassius entered the war, it dominated, showing the way forward, only to be knocked out through some bad luck.

A year later, Chaos 2 was introduced by George Francis, and Rex Garrod retired from the 'Robot Wars' world, amidst arguements about the health and safety.

Oh, and as for the plunderbird team. They may have been all for show, but if you ever saw some of their other robots (such as the bug they entered into the walking contest in the robot olympics) they can make some fantastic designs)
<geek mode off>

Soldato
Angel said:
Cassius was the daddy though was made by some special effects guy, its the one that had the first hydrolic flipper and flipped its self out of the pit.

Rex Garrod

He lives down the road from me, bit of a nutty professor really, im sure he started work on a new cassius (aptly called cassius2) Looked fantastic, air suspension, light weight body and a more powerful flipper, though I think he may have gone off it in the end (edit- see above :))
He used to set up the village firework display, dunno if he still does

Btw, he made K9 for the current Dr Who series ;) and that thing from Telly Tubbies

Last edited:
Soldato
Now you have mentioned it i remember hwo much i loved this program. Id love to see the old series again, the new ones were rubbish and put the series up in smoke.

Mortis and Razor were the pwn, never was a fan of Chaos 2, its was good but it was just a normal robot. Was pretty partial to Panic Attack too.

Man of Honour
Cassius, Hypnodisc, and to some extent Razor and Chaos II were the innovators, and the likes of Plunderbird were the comedians. Then there were the family teams who involved their children and brought them to the show. I have lots of respect for them.

Sadly, I suspect the show died as a result of a perceived continuing quest for 'bigger and better'. Of course, what followed wasn't bigger or better. I too will miss the show, but of course the catalogue of 'missed shows' is forever growing. :(

Soldato
i was rummaging(sp?)through some of my old VHS tapes and i found some one with the label "Robot Wars Series 3" that i written when i use t be obessed with it.must have recorded it off the BBC.will watch that later :cool:

Soldato
I used to work at Philips Research and we entered a robot that failed dismally. But I did get to go to the show and the thing that struck me most was the way the Philippa sucked her belly in every time she went on camera !!!

She was gorgeous in her prime though....

Back
Top Bottom