Robotic lawn mowers

Soldato
Mine died the other day :( took it apart yesterday to investigate and pretty sure the main motherboard has died in it. It's just completely dead no sign of life at all, the battery voltage is still good as is the charging station. There is some power at various points on the motherboard but i didn't want to get too carried away with probing it with the multimeter while in situ in case i slipped and shorted something else out making it worse :p

I'll try and get it taken over to my dealer this week some time but i fear it's going to be quite costly, the boards on their own seem to be £400+ then it'll need fitting and programming by them :(

It's a Husqvarna 420 2018 model FYI so pretty disappointing to have died already as you pay top dollar for them expecting better reliability/build quality compared to the cheaper ones. Exactly the same thing happened 2 years ago and i got it repaired in warranty so this board is only a smidge over 2 years old.

AMWts8ANqwvlsdgqv1DEElOlIEgcuN4h1AhdEADwnWtxGZMZQGxhdFHagKTWGw-3qSXZHJdEUUPO95pPSmc2ucpbSkKCpzjv1cDA_1zeucxXkn4VhH8JBdC2zJ2TqnLtXIzD5dJqrmd0Gi4gRMW52axCrL31kA=w973-h1297-s-no

Soldato
I picked up a Landroid 800 for £330 end of last year, been doing normal mowing as wanted the grass to grow up in some lumpy patches first, but have put the guide wire down and will hopefully give it it's first action next week ojnce the weather perks up again.

Soldato
They can go over paths. I've put a guide wire under mine so it can go from front to back lawn.

So is the guide wire open from your back and front lawns like double P shape? (If that makes sense) or do you program a path into it?

Also - is it under the slabs or does it run along the sides of the slabs?

Last edited:
Associate
So is the guide wire open from your back and front lawns like double P shape? (If that makes sense) or do you program a path into it?

Also - is it under the slabs or does it run along the sides of the slabs?

Sorry, I don't know what a double P means. Actually I think I do. Yes, it's two big circles conencted by a 15cm wide corridor. The wire is under the slabs. I ran it through some conduit and then set that on the cement as the slabs went down. No programming on the mower, however I can set "zones" in the software so the mower will mow certain zones if required.

Last edited:
Associate
1st go of the mower on my extra lawn I had laid last week. I got a new wire down on Saturday, approx 200m long. I'm really happy at how it's worked out as I planned the whole garden around a mower being about to get up the "hills" to access the lawn. The mower has done over 100 miles now so I treated her to some new teeth.

Soldato
Public service announcement for all Landroid owners.

My mower has been struggling with some random 'wire missing' errors recently, quite frustrating as I don't think the wire is to blame. The LED on my station is a dim green most of the time, or sometimes doesn't show at all.

I saw a post on reddit (/r/worxlandroid) where someone had similar and that cause was the charging station being bunged up with an ant farm https://www.reddit.com/r/worxlandroid/comments/1cursb4/wire_missing/

Opened mine up earlier and found it was full too, and once I cleared some away the LED on my station went a strong green. I thought great, that's done it somehow but the mower still complained. Once I cleared the entire colony and unscrewed the main board, I could see the connection into the rear of the red wire terminal was fully severed, most likely just corroded from the moisture in the ant debris.

So if you have a landroid, open up the back of the charging station and clean it out - and add ant repellent - before they wreck it.

Associate
Good shout. My cable “failed” last week with nothing obvious happening to it.

I’ll check out my base but with a test loop in, it works. Suspect I’ll need to pull the cable and investigate.

Bank holiday Monday job.

img

img

Associate
Been looking at options here. Have been looking at some wire free versions. Anyone know any good youtube test channels as seems everyone is getting a free luba 2 to review them

Soldato
Good shout. My cable “failed” last week with nothing obvious happening to it.

I’ll check out my base but with a test loop in, it works. Suspect I’ll need to pull the cable and investigate.

Bank holiday Monday job.
The reddit post said a test loop showed zero issues. It all seems to behave quite strangley at times. Get in there asap, only takes 30 seconds to get the back off.

OcUK Staff
My Flymo 1200R is coming up with an error "Battery Problem" - Do you think buying a new battery and finding out how to replace it will solve this?

Soldato
Mine died the other day :( took it apart yesterday to investigate and pretty sure the main motherboard has died in it. It's just completely dead no sign of life at all, the battery voltage is still good as is the charging station. There is some power at various points on the motherboard but i didn't want to get too carried away with probing it with the multimeter while in situ in case i slipped and shorted something else out making it worse :p

I'll try and get it taken over to my dealer this week some time but i fear it's going to be quite costly, the boards on their own seem to be £400+ then it'll need fitting and programming by them :(

It's a Husqvarna 420 2018 model FYI so pretty disappointing to have died already as you pay top dollar for them expecting better reliability/build quality compared to the cheaper ones. Exactly the same thing happened 2 years ago and i got it repaired in warranty so this board is only a smidge over 2 years old.

AMWts8ANqwvlsdgqv1DEElOlIEgcuN4h1AhdEADwnWtxGZMZQGxhdFHagKTWGw-3qSXZHJdEUUPO95pPSmc2ucpbSkKCpzjv1cDA_1zeucxXkn4VhH8JBdC2zJ2TqnLtXIzD5dJqrmd0Gi4gRMW52axCrL31kA=w973-h1297-s-no
Have to say that doesn't look very robust its consumer electronics designed for indoor use not outdoors where damp penetration will pretty much kill the electronics never mind ants

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Been looking at options here. Have been looking at some wire free versions. Anyone know any good youtube test channels as seems everyone is getting a free luba 2 to review them
Absolutely love mine - had the Luba 1 since last year and he's been flawless, despite my efforts to mod the life out of him (he's called David Mowie)

I've posted some tips previously and various videos on my channel, eg:

But couldn't recommend him enough!!

Caporegime
Eek it's time to set mine up again for the short Swedish summer....
I pray to baby jesus I see that steady green light on the boundary cable.
I gave mine a full rebuild last winter fixed a broken suspension.
Little choppy has served me well hopefully get 2 more years out of him.

BBOLIBu.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
I paid £250 for a second hand Eienhell 350.
I had to buy the Ground wire (£20) and the pegs.
I bought a 4AH battery for it (£30)
New blades (£10 for pack of 50)

Installed, and working perfectly.

For just over £300, I'm very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom