Robust WIFI solution

Associate
Hi all

I'm in the process of redecorating my house and would like to take the opportunity to beef up the WiFi infrastructure. I was wondering if people have suggestions on what kit I should be looking at.

I currently have a pretty comprehensive wired network with some dedicated wireless access points dotted around the house. This did seem to work pretty well in the past although in recent times I've had a few issues with disconnects etc.

I was looking at Goggle WiFi "mesh" type functionality but not sure if there are better ones knowing that I can get a wired connection to any of the proposed wireless units.

I have a large-ish house and determined I need the following units in the past

1 - Front / downstairs
2 - Middle upstairs
3 - Back downstairs (extension)
4 - Outbuilding 1
5 - Outbuilding 2

Budget is pretty flexible within reason.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Associate
OP
The UniFi range is very, very good and worth a look.

Thank you.

I have read that elsewhere and have just started researching. There's so many models to choose from though including switches and security bolt ons....

Am I correct in thinking I'd keep my existing modem (Virgin), router (D-Link) (but turn off the inbult wifi) then plug a load of these unifi devices in around the home network as applicable? No other ubiquiti hardware needed?

Can you suggest a model please?

Thanks for your time.

Associate
OP
Thanks all.

So another question please. How do these behave concerning devices switching over to them when walking around the property.

Eg, do you set them all with the same SSID? In my example, if my tablet were to be connected in the main house and I were to then walk to an outbuilding, would there be a seemless switch over? What about in areas where two of the APs are overlapping, any conflicts?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi all

Thank you very much for your help. I think I'm sold now on the Unifi kit.

Just to confirm, for the controller software, is this used for initial setup and periodical changes / stats downloading only or to get full benefits should it be left continually running on a fixed asset? I have a Windows home server 2k11 box on 24/7 (that I'm planning to renew with a windows 10 unit) so no problem either way, just trying to get my head around things.

And finally, the existing access points I've wired in at the moment are D-Link DAP 2695s. Would I be correct in thinking the performance / user experience of these Unifi devices exceeds these?

Thanks again

Associate
OP
Just a follow up post to say I decided to buy a load of NanoHDs in the end. Very happy with the puchase, thank you for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom