• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
it only clocks to 4.5GHz. Tho even tho that cpu can do 5GHz it seems the ST speed will be at best on par with Zen3.

Associate
If looking to upgrade and going Intel not much point now it would be better to wait it out for the DDR 5 motherboard generation

Interesting... I'm sort of half there already with 10th Gen, but haven't put anything together yet.

I'm not in desperate 'need' to upgrade (my 4790k is still serving the purpose) and could probably wait out another year.

I bought into DDR3 right at the end of its life, and don't particularly love the idea of making the same mistake with DDR4

Soldato
it only clocks to 4.5GHz. Tho even tho that cpu can do 5GHz it seems the ST speed will be at best on par with Zen3.

if it's 20% behind the 5800x at 4.5ghz then it won't match the 5800x even if it's at 5.3ghz

though intel may very well take the lead in a lot of games again simply because the platform offers lower memory latency - but amd will keep the lead in games where it currently has a big lead like counter strike, LoL, Fortnite, Overwatch and Valorant

Associate
So far it looks utterly pish.
Ok it may equal or minorly surpass Zen3 but not by much.
However in multithreaded loads its getting not only a p45 but a kick up the arse as well.

Plus it will consume power like... er a 3090...cough.... and be as efficient as a 1 bar fire

Forget it.

Soldato
OP
That is the thing. Intel 14nm is a hog when it comes to wattage.

Those chips are 125w TDP that’s intel’s usual non boosted TDP. So they can easily go to 200w.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if AMD didnt pull the "XT" trick again when intel shows up with some more speed in a few months.
Being at the top of performance tables means an awful lot, i would not be surprised at all if AMD were binning and keeping some stellar silicon that will do 150Mhz more or something...
After all these cpu's will all be pretty close to each other in the charts, you aint going to see Intels top 8 core being 25% faster or whatever, maybe 5% but thats it... We know AMD can and could likely just bin some faster silicon to bridge the gap.

I bet they will do the same with the GPU's, there was early chat of an 6900 XTX was there not?
I would not be surprised if AMD pulls out a water cooled 2.6 or 2.8 Ghz 6900 to take Nvidias Ti outside for a kicking.

This is not the same AMD from a few years back.

Soldato
OP
Ddr5 and pcie5 is just a handy excuse. Being intel they would have switched boards and pin counts just so that they could. Hopefully am5 goes like am4 and lasts a few generations of CPUs
I think AMD would do well if they can release new chipset and board that is out of factory have new CPU support without needing bios flash back etc whilst also maintaining socket support on older boards so people can still do in socket upgrades.

it seems average user really struggle with BIOS flash via USB ports.

Back
Top Bottom