• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ROG Strix RX480 - 100%, Red LED, No display

Associate
Hi all,

I've just purchased an RX480 8gb to replace my broken HD7970 and when I turned on my machine for the first time the gpu fans started spinning at 100% and get no display. I also noticed the 2 led indicators just next to the 8 pin power connector, with 1 solid while and the other solid red.

Booting into windows with onboard vga the machine is not detecting anything new on device manager and when I run the driver package it errors out as nothing detected.

I've tried a different 6+2 pin power cable and have re-seated the card.

If I turn on the machine with the power cables unplugged the cards RGB lights up but obv nothing else happens so presume the card is receiving power from the pcie lane?

When power cables are connected and booted there are no RGB lights on the card.

I'm currently thinking it may be a problem with my PSU but sadly cannot easily test a different one.

Going to pinch a gpu from work tonight to test over the weekend which should rule out the PCI-E slot. Only one slot on the board.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour at all? I'd love to know exactly what the LED indicators mean but oddly cant find anything about them online.

Oh, PSU is a corsair 640 watt thing and mobo is a gigabyte z77-dh3.
Old card recently died suddenly and the most I could get from it was a horribly corrupted bios image and nothing beyond that point.

TIA all!

Associate
OP
Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Thanks for the reply Shiari. I did wonder about the bios but the internet suggests that it will work with an older version on the bios than I'm currently using.
I've just ordered a new PSU so will hopefully rule out a possible bois or motherboard issue tomorrow!

Associate
Well, it's quite common for a somewhat newer GPU not to work on older motherboards if they're not on the latest BIOS. So that might just be your problem.

Soldato
Oh, PSU is a corsair 640 watt thing and mobo is a gigabyte z77-dh3.
Old card recently died suddenly and the most I could get from it was a horribly corrupted bios image and nothing beyond that point.

TIA all!
I actually have this motherboard and did indeed have to upgrade the bios in order to get a Fury Pro to run. I imagine a 480 would need this also.

Associate
Motherboard is an LGA1155 socket so Sandybridge etc? I had to upgrade my Bios on a LGA1155 board to get my RX480 to work - had the similar symptoms as you, wouldn't detect the card but fans were spinning

Associate
OP
Right.. So this evening I bit the bullet and upgraded the bios even though my new psu had also arrived, and was actually pretty confident it would sort it.

Annoyingly though, for some reason after rebooting post bios flash my windows installation was corrupted.
Unplugged all other ssds and hdd in case it was having a moment with the drive order but no cigar.

An hour later I'm back on track albeit with most of my programs missing.

Oh, and still a new gpu that spins like a loon and that's about it!

Next step is to get the new psu installed and cross some fingers. If it actually turns out that the gpu was knackered all along I'll be quite a sad panda!

Soldato
You got further though this time yeah? If it's just the windows corrupted I would suggest a different hdd to install windows with and use the old one plugged in as secondary to start retrieving the files.

Associate
OP
I know this is hardly thread of the year but just to close it off nicely it turns out that it was a problem with the bloody card after all.

Sent it back and got a replacement Sapphire Nitro+ 480, which I was quite relieved about as I didn't particularity want a reference card after the ROG version.

Anyway, plug it in, turn on and boom - everything works.

Just need to flog my corsair psu that I replaced, and is actually working just fine!

Ta for the replies though chaps, much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom