Root access and apps saved data location - Android

Soldato
I have messed around with Linux on the PC before, I think you typed su in the konsole and it made you a super user or something, I think there was a lower level access as well, maybe root?

So on Android OS, I was looking for the location of save game files, initially I tried sdcard/Android/Data/com.gameNamehere/etc but nothing there. The game saves high scores somewhere but not in sdcard so it seems.

So after some research it seems the saves/databases may be saved to the root filesystem, something like /data/data/com.gameNamehere/data or so. But using ES file explorer on my phone theres nothing in the /Data directory.

I think it shows nothing as I don't have root access on my phone. So my questions are.

1. Is having root access on a phone, like su in konsole, different from a rooted phone?
2. What is rooting a phone and is it illegal?
3. Does your phone need to be rooted for an app to have root access, i.e save data to the root filesystem?
3. How are apps able to have root access, I assume they have to as they seem to save a games/apps data in there?
4. How do I legally get root access?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom