Rotel A11 Tribute Firmware update brick...

Associate
Hi,

I have just updated the firmware from 1.17 to the latest 1.21

I used a USB to serial converter on COM3, connected first time and the device went straight into boot loader/update mode. Firmware flashed successfully according to YModem software.

Upon power cycling the Amp I now hear what I think is the relays cycling really fast for a second or so. It doesn't sound very pleasant and the main screen now shows two solid black sections. Speakers LEDs on the front panel remain lit.

Then nothing...

If I try and connect to amp again the software informs me it is in standby mode but does report some values like balance, tone controls etc..

I have updated hundreds of device firmware before and never had an issue in and out of work.

Amp was purchased from Richer Sounds UK on 1st October 2022. I found one other thread where someone also bricked the device. I am just hoping they do not try and charge me for this, I can't seem to find what the warranty period for the amp either.

Suffice it to say I will not be updating it again if I manage to get it sorted, I have created a ticket with Rotel directly for now.

What's the likely outcome, anyone have any experience with Rotel support?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Just thought I let you know, Rotel just gave the instructions for recovery. Basically the same as the normal update but you hold Phono then turn amp on and use STMs own tool rather the Rotel YModem.

Very pleased haha, thought I was going to have to send it for service and pay!

Now running latest firmware.

Not that anyone is probably interested but I figured someone may find this on google and help them out, the only other info I found was on Reddit where he had to the Amp off for service for two weeks!

Associate
Hi,
I would like a more precise explanation of what exactly you did, because I put the wrong software into my Rotel RA 1592 amplifier and it simply shut down (black screen and no sign of the power button being on)

Back
Top Bottom