Router for PPoE + VPN

Associate
Hi,

Finally got myself full fibre connection installed and can run this in a bridge mode with my own router.
Unfortunately the one I had has been re=purposed for another install so need to sort out a replacement, which will offer some extra benefits.
Got plenty of LAN cables routed so Wifi performance is a 2ndary factor.

Ideally would like something that will work easily with VPN on the router, ideally even configurable down to individual connected devices (i.e. permanent VPN for specific devices, with non VPN connection out for others). Don't need gaming functionality etc

Don't want to break a bank with it, so was thinking likes of Asus RT-AX55?

Any recommendations please?

Ouch, would not expect that.
I was happy to spend about £100ish, but can loose the VPN for specific devices if it's a major issue. I will than toggle entire network to be on VPN for periods of time, when I need a few devices on specific VPN.
Ability to configure and change VPN servers easily would be helpful, and Nord VPN was suggesting Asus routers hence first looking into that.

What's your connection speed? You say you have full fibre, and unless that means something like 300Mbps down you're never going to reach your stated aims. A £100 budget, gigabit(?) FTTP, on-device VPN? Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick any two. As ChrisD says, a second hand Optiplex or similar box off eBay with OPNSense, Linux or BSD on it will do what you want within budget, but I get the feeling you wouldn't want to do that...

If you don't mind VPN being slow (think 50 Mbps overall) then any consumer router will 'do' (albeit not with native policy routing per-client). Avoiding x86 and roll your own, you may do well to find a router that will run DD-WRT well and flash that. You will get your WireGuard VPN, accelerated NAT and much more control that way, but without having to do everything from scratch.
I've got a 400Mbps down, 200Mbps up link.
My usage is quite simple ;) I don't need to set up an FTTP, would simply like to configure VPN on the router so the internet enabled TV can also run via VPN for some special Netflix content. I have a Nord VPN acc, so this apparently is happy on certain routers more than others.
Certainly don't mind fiddling with the unit to get what I need, had been running Tomato on some ancient 54Mbps router for ages until it essentially died and was well impressed with it.

I have to admit, Im out of the loop on this completely and with so many new companies on the market I had my eyes on mainstream brands.

I had typed the reply on Monday before that became part of the criteria, sadly i got distracted and came back to the tab 3 days later :eek:
I know the pain of multiple tabs.. notoriously bad with it haha.

Thanks all for great inputs.
@Rainmaker , @Avalon I may have simplified this a bit too much so not so sure Fire stick will do here.
Lets be a bit more specific than:

Wireless devices:
Mobile phones
Tablet
Switch
Laptops

Out of above, both the tablet and laptops may have the need for VPN use as I would access the video streaming services (not just Netflix) 'from' at least 2 countries. On both occasions NordVPN app is present and usable so at least the problem is somehow removed.

Wired devices:
PC(s)
Smart TV (old, nearly 10y now, will soon be replaced for new one, with this one likely given an upgrade with Tv Box, was thinking of Xiaomi Mi Box)
Sat TV Box

All would potentially use VPN connection. Sat TV Box could have a permanent push to a single non UK server so it allows online content (otherwise servers detect out of UK access and don't let this to proceed).
PC can always use Nord VPN app - no biggie.
Smart TV would occasionally (30% running time) use VPN and not and this link without additional way to manage the VPN connection is not possible.

Oh, and currently don't expect to use max available bandwidth with VPN servers, don't believe they would even be able to offer that kind of speed.

Does Mikrotik do anything sensible with Wifi or would it be better to get a separate AP for that??
Just jumping back to Asus - they can be flashed with DD-WRT, so won't this kind of get rid of the entire privacy issue?

Thanks

OK, so let me get this right:

Option 1: Single device for routing, switching (not really my need), wireless with VPN tunneling in the hardware
1a Mikrotik RB4011
1b Open WRT with a decent router that's supported (Linksys?)

Option 2: Router and AP separatly, VPN in the hardware
2a Mikrotik router + Ubiquiti UniFi
2b Mikrotik router + alternative AP

Option 3: Router with Wifi, VPN via software
3a Any decent router with DD WRT or Open WRT + Fire Tv Stick
3b ?

Option 4: intel based server with Untangle Free on a decent router
4a Mikrotik ?

Choice 1a seems obvious as a decent cost vs opportunity for me providing some kit on sale can be acquired lol
1b could be a fall back, while 3a something I can do now, but would need a Fire TV stick

I need to double check what exact functionality I could get from the Sat Box that a supporting Android app on a Fire Stick would not offer..

Back
Top Bottom