Router/Mesh system for large property

Soldato
I've just moved to a rather large property, solid brick, 9ft ceilings, 3 floors etc.

The previous owner has left their Virgin Media issue router and 3-pin WiFi Pod but a few of my external wi-fi Ring cam's have poor signal and I would also like good coverage in the garden.

I'm more than happy to invest in a good router or mesh system but know relatively little and have never really got in to networking but am not a total idiot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any suggestions? Light reviews and research have lead me to the ASUS AX6600 however I've read here that security is not necessarily a strong point?

I have very basic needs, secure, consistent and reliable coverage.

Speaking from direct personal experience (7ft doors, early 1911's finest double course solid brick work on every wall, 12ft ceilings etc.) i'm going to tell you the simple answer: Run cable to each room. It literally makes life 10x easier to place AP's or mesh nodes on the end of and is transformative. The unfortunate truth is wifi is not built for houses like this, the normal rule of one solid wall max doesn't apply when they are a foot thick, the good news is over the decades the various modernisations done such as rewiring, central heating and the like will mean floor board routes are easily accessed and followed from room to room and this is often a lot easier than you'd think. It's also easy to come out of air bricks, run up/behind guttering and into the loft etc. and if it's anything like the one I had to deal with, you've got several feet under the ground floor to make running cables a doddle.

At the time I did this, mesh wasn't really much good, now we have wired and dedicated radio backhauls, so if I was doing this now, i'd just do a run to each room and a Deco node on the end of each which provides wifi and ethernet backhaul. With a view to 2.5/10Gb 5e or 6 will do 10Gb over residential distances.

Thanks, I've no issue running cables, I've crimped ends for CCTV/PoE before.

I'm getting around 3-400mb on wi-fi upstairs one of the rooms furthest from the router, I just need something with a stronger signal than the Virgin Media Hub 5, to reach cameras outside sufficiently well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

For the time being 2 quite old powerline style boosters have improved the quality sufficiently enough for the camera's which buys me some more time to research, I'll revisit this to update :)

Plans to replace the hallway floor in the not too distant future give an opportunity to run cable to the front rooms.

Back
Top Bottom