Router recommendations for FTTP?

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I've been having issues with internal wifi bandwidth being exhausted by one client during uploads of anything between 500mb-6GB+ causing 99% of other clients on the wifi to drop.

In short the SH2 seems pants at any form of client management on that front so it's got to go, range is good with two discs it just can't support my workloads.

I've got about 30-40 devices online, including smart bulbs etc. so not a huge amount to support.

Any recommendations for £80-170?

Part of me wants to go in at the lower and and prove the theory that it is a hub issue, but at the same time I want something supportable and stable longer term.

Soldato
Are you after an integrated router/modem? Can I ask who your isp is?

I'm with Vodafone and even with their latest "improved" hub, I still get wifi drops and blackspots...

It'd be good to get some of my own kit if it was reliable :)

Don
I've been having issues with internal wifi bandwidth being exhausted by one client during uploads of anything between 500mb-6GB+ causing 99% of other clients on the wifi to drop.
It won't be exhausting wifi bandwidth, it will be exhausting your upload bandwidth, which then means that any clients to download can't sent acknowledgement packets that are needed as part of the download process.

Part of me wants to go in at the lower and and prove the theory that it is a hub issue
It's not specifically a SH issue, it's a a generic home router issue. You need something that supports and properly implements either Qos/Rate limiting, or better yet a fair bandwidth sharing algorithm such as fq_codel or Cake.

Cheapest way to test this is stick an extra network card in almost any pc you have laying around, and then set up PFSense on it, ensuring you set up Traffic Shapers as per the following:
https://youtu.be/o8nL81DzTlU?t=542

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/9f46xn/rookie_step_by_step_for_setting_up_fq_codel/

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
Remember being interested with PFSense a few years back but never got around to it, hadn't even considered it in this scenario. Thanks @Armageus it'll at least prove that it's where the problem sits on the cheap.

My wife logged a fault about it a few weeks back (without me knowing!) so we had an Openreach guy turn up today, he said it wasn't right and could recreate it. Couldn't for the life of him figure out where the problem was

Totally get the ack packets being impacted, I'm just amazed modem ISP kit can't handle that though, wouldn't have thought I'm pushing it particularly hard to need biz grade kit either, but at this point assuming I must be.

I actually have an earlier meraki mr32 kicking around I may whack in and try next week, see how that fares off the back of the SH2

@slipd on BT

Caporegime
An MR32 has a less capable radio on it than the Smart Hub 2. It's unlikely to help unless your problems are due to AP placement.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
It's not range that's the problem, prior to moving over to FTTP these sorts of uploads weren't a problem, half the upstream so you may be right.

I'll get it hooked up to prove that though before pfsense, I suspect it'll handle things better but we'll see!

Edit - If all fails, am I looking at unify or back to mereki and new kit on that front?

Soldato
It's not range that's the problem, prior to moving over to FTTP these sorts of uploads weren't a problem, half the upstream so you may be right.

I'll get it hooked up to prove that though before pfsense, I suspect it'll handle things better but we'll see!

Edit - If all fails, am I looking at unify or back to mereki and new kit on that front?

Literally anything that will do QoS - or just limit whatever is saturating the uplink, it's the same noisy neighbour scenario we discussed in the main BT thread a few days back.

Back
Top Bottom