Router with VPN Support or go DIY?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I basically want a separate WiFi SSID to mask my connection and pin point it to a different country.

What's the best way around it? I need it to be able to handle video streaming.

1. Asus or Linksys Router with aftermarket firmware like DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWrt?
2. Build a PFSense Router using Rassberry Pi? (My only concern is performance, would have to research more. lol )
3. Get one of those mini desktop PC's, add antenas and put PFSense on?

The network will have to handle two connected devices which will mainly be using known streaming sites such YT, Netflix etc. so just looking for the most cost effective option without going completely overkill. Open to any other suggestions :)

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
When you say VPN connection, do you mean to mask your IP or to access your network from outside network? I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS using DD-WRT that has a separate SSID that runs through a VPN so my location id Germany when using it.
Good point, I'm only looking to mask my IP. Only two devices will be connected to this network. Sorry, should have been more clear.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I've just made a Raspberry pi vpn, it took some learning of doing the wrong thing before I found a very simple way to do it..

Cost breakdown.
RPI 3 @ 35quid.
Mullvad vpn @ 60quid for the year.

That's it.
Installed Noobs raspien onto a micro sd. Let that install newest desktop version. When on Mullvads help pages to get their install guide for Wireguard, installed that and then installed RaspAP, which setup a Hotspot automatically...

I now have a cheap vpn hotspot server and I'm getting very quick speeds. Installation time, about 2hrs.
What are you using for wireless, how's the range and speeds?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I missed an auction of Linksys WRT1900ACS which annoyingly sold for a bargain price, being frustrated I rushed into buying Asus RT-AC87U which popped up locally the same day. I should have done my research first before going for it, but thankfully Merlin was available! Looking at DD-WRT's firmware, it would have been much easier to do what I did on Merlin; writing/editing scripts to make it work. Modifying stuff via GUI would be nice, but I guess doing everything via terminal using SSH connection is easier on the resources. :o

At the moment I'm running 2 separate SSID's which both run different VPN connections, eth ports and non-guest networks are not routed via VPN. Next thing on my list will be trying out diverse to see how it handles ad blocking. I might look into adding a Pi-Hole at some point, even if its just to see what the hype is about. In the end it does what I need it to do and its night & day compared to my ISP's router, so I can't complain...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom