• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTG boss takes 'sabbatical'

Man of Honour
For me it seems GCN is at it's limits

Problem with GCN is utilising the width of the pipelines - I'm not sure if AMD think if they build it that way people will adopt it (in a break the system kind of way) or labouring under the conviction that it is again and again a case of "just around the next corner - any day now" when developers will progress to that kind of approach. AFAIK there is nothing particularly wrong with the architecture itself just the implementation is going down a path pretty much no one else really is following.

Caporegime
That was only the first batch that was priced like that though. AMD did it for a limited time, Yes when you look at pricing today there's price gouging on top but that is not AMD's price and if it is now it's because they dropped it back down after the backlash from reviewers.
No they didn't, £640 is the RRP. Anything higher than that for the AIO is not 'AMDs price.'

Soldato
Vega is doing well - it's a great update for those already rocking freesync monitors. I'm extremely happy with my Vega64 Liquid Edition, it runs my BenQ XL2730Z 1440P 144Hz monitor perfectly, and is very quiet at the same time. I also love the limited edition cards looks, the best looking card I've ever had by a long shot.

For those with freesync monitors, Vega is a no-brainer. For those with gsync or non adaptive sync monitors, the 1070/1080 are the best choices.
And therein lies the problem.

At best it can be a recommendation to free sync owners. It doesn't stand on its own two feet.

This is a classic stepping down into a more suitable role move and that's only being done for one reason. That isn't the success of Vega.

Soldato
Vega is doing well - it's a great update for those already rocking freesync monitors. I'm extremely happy with my Vega64 Liquid Edition, it runs my BenQ XL2730Z 1440P 144Hz monitor perfectly, and is very quiet at the same time. I also love the limited edition cards looks, the best looking card I've ever had by a long shot.

For those with freesync monitors, Vega is a no-brainer. For those with gsync or non adaptive sync monitors, the 1070/1080 are the best choices.

There is of course the caveat that if you are looking to buy a new GPU today and intend to replace your non adaptive sync monitor with an adaptive sync one during ownership of said GPU then Vega is again a no-brainer.

Associate
When things like this happen, they need to be very clear as to why they are leaving there post if there is a positive reason.

Well...
I have decided to take a time-off in Q4 to spend time with my family. I have been contemplating this for a while now and there was never a good time to do this. Lisa and I agreed that Q4 is better than 2018, before the next wave of product excitement.

Seems the memo was pretty clear ^^. But that isn't very interesting so everyone is going with their own, self-convinced reason as to why he is taking a vacation. The difficult part is that this specific excuse has been used in the past by other companies to allow a VIP to transition quietly to another place so no one believes these kind of messages any more. However, if it is true, this is how the memo would look like regardless. So we can't be sure what will happen until he returns from his vacation/"vacation" and see what the result will be.

Associate
1080's don't need fancy water cooling though to hit their true potential. For Vega water cooling is a must if you want it's full potential.

Define "true potential". If it is speed and hardcore performance, any chip will perform faster with more cooling. Just how physics work. The true potential(in terms of speed vs. thermals vs. power consumption) of Vega lies in tweaking the settings of your Wattman profile. Just wait for AIB to have a fair comparison with any 1080. The partners will be able to tweak the card based on their cooling. First signs of Asus Strix are promising ;)

Soldato
1080's don't need fancy water cooling though to hit their true potential. For Vega water cooling is a must if you want it's full potential.
The 1080 FE will throttle out of the box unless you raise the fan profile just like the V64 does.

I get that Nvidia fans like hating on AMD (and vice versa) but claiming the Vega AIO model is trash because it costs as much as a 1080ti but performs like a 1080, while giving a free pass to the 1080 AIO models when they also cost as much as a 1080ti and perform like a 1080, is just dumb.

Permabanned
When things like this happen, they need to be very clear as to why they are leaving there post if there is a positive reason.

I think this is all about saving face, He's taking a break and it's possible when he get's back we'll be told he's back and busy working on the Navi architecture which is where he needs to be.
I don't know anything about what architectures he developed in the past but he's meant to be good at it so that's where he's needed.

No they didn't, £640 is the RRP. Anything higher than that for the AIO is not 'AMDs price.'

If that's true it means certain people in the know lied and every reviewer who made a video on the how they'd made their last Vega video's recommendation based on what was a limited time price was wrong.

The 1080 FE will throttle out of the box unless you raise the fan profile just like the V64 does.

I get that Nvidia fans like hating on AMD (and vice versa) but claiming the Vega AIO model is trash because it costs as much as a 1080ti but performs like a 1080, while giving a free pass to the 1080 AIO models when they also cost as much as a 1080ti and perform like a 1080, is just dumb.

I went for the cheapest non reference 1080 I could find which was the MSI Armor and it handles the temps & the noise very well. I thought it was doing well in the high 70's but then realised that I hadn't put my rear exhaust fan back in after removing the Vega AIO so I did that and now temps are a bit lower in the loe to mid 70's with the fan and clocks all on the out of the box settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't remember mine doing that tbh, you got bad case airflow?
I think I may have caused some confusion, I'm not saying the card will reach 90c and throttle down to 200MHz. I'm saying under high load the card will reach 80c and not boost as high as it can with a custom fan curve set in Afterburner (just like the V64).

Associate
radeon technology group

and its pretty sad, all the people raging still at pricing/how bad the cards are how late they are etc etc on every post created in the gfx section.

Even in an 'i am having a holiday post' your lives must be so poor to keep whining on about it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tbh pricing is a total mess at £640+ the AIO is far too close to the Ti in terms of price but nowhere near in terms of performance
Yeah. If they were able to hit the £500 price point, I would be rocking one if my system right now. Hell, I was even close to buying on launch but greedy buggers only offered 2 year warranty on top of the ridiculous price. Way I see it, if I am going to get shafted, might as well get the performance to go with it, hence the situation I am in now moving over to nvidia.

Would have never predicted this would happen 12 months ago. Well disappointed if I am honest.

I hope when Raja comes back he is mainly left to do the engineering side of things. Dr Su can take over some of his duties that are more paperwork etc to let him actually get on with the engineering work. We really need Navi to do better than Vega. I do not want to see nvidia increasing their lead even further.

I agree with what shank's said, since Raja has come a lot of things have improved due to his vision. We need to be a bit more patient so we can see the fruits of his work hardware wise in Navi and the architecture after that.

Back
Top Bottom