• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTG boss takes 'sabbatical'

Permabanned
That didn't relate to the AIO version.

So going from £640 to £780 the very next day was down to the e-tailers?
You'd think AMD would find a way to combat it as it affects their market share in regards to gaming.
I ended up on a 1080 I don't want and I knowingly bought a sff case my MSI 1080 Armor won't fit in
so I want to replace it as soon as money allows.

radeon technology group

and its pretty sad, all the people raging still at pricing/how bad the cards are how late they are etc etc on every post created in the gfx section.

Even in an 'i am having a holiday post' your lives must be so poor to keep whining on about it.

It sounds like you need a holiday if what others post bothers you so much. The cards not a bad card although there's questions hanging related to the C0/C1 revision.
Being late wouldn't be a problem if it's release had been handled correctly,
For as long as the price gouging continues to happen it will continue to be mentioned.
I personally think the AIO is worth £640 even though that's moving dangerously close to 1080ti territory.

Soldato
What is a sabbatical.

For reference it is "a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked".

However in this context the news outlet are just using it in place of saying he's taking time off. Because they want to use fancy words to show off, regardless of whether they are using them correctly or not.

Permabanned
For reference it is "a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked".

However in this context the news outlet are just using it in place of saying he's taking time off. Because they want to use fancy words to show off, regardless of whether they are using them correctly or not.

Sounds like me :D

Soldato

Originally its from the bible, now it just means an extended holiday e.g. 2 months to a year, not always paid

Soldato
Define "true potential". If it is speed and hardcore performance, any chip will perform faster with more cooling. Just how physics work. The true potential(in terms of speed vs. thermals vs. power consumption) of Vega lies in tweaking the settings of your Wattman profile. Just wait for AIB to have a fair comparison with any 1080. The partners will be able to tweak the card based on their cooling. First signs of Asus Strix are promising ;)
No amount of fancy air cooling will beat the vega liquid AIO.

We already know the AIO is just below a blower 1080fe in performance so please don't hold out false hopes for aib cards.

Caporegime
Lets face it Vega is not a good GPU for its price and power consumption, it got blasted by the tech press... and rightfully so.

Raja is a great guy, i like him but is he doing a good job for AMD? Is Dr Lisa Su entirely happy with Raja's leadership at RTG?

AMD are stuck in a rut of 'not good enough GPU's,' they have been for a few years now, they can't go on like that indefinitely.

Last edited:
Associate

We already know the AIO is just below a blower 1080fe in performance so please don't hold out false hopes for aib cards.
Yup, on stock settings with an overblown voltage and a low HBM2 and core clock. Those can easily be pushed up while decreasing or maintaining power consumption. Again, the tweaking of the stock settings is where the power up will be.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thAF3FSRf_M
(Can find plenty more if you Google. Plenty of confirmed reports here on the forums as well)

Reference RX Vega 56 tweaked can match a reference 1080. So no, in my mind only realistic hope that the yields are steady enough to allow AIB's to tweak the default settings of their cards so the Vega 56 will become the go-to card.

Soldato
Well...

Seems the memo was pretty clear ^^. But that isn't very interesting so everyone is going with their own, self-convinced reason as to why he is taking a vacation. The difficult part is that this specific excuse has been used in the past by other companies to allow a VIP to transition quietly to another place so no one believes these kind of messages any more. However, if it is true, this is how the memo would look like regardless. So we can't be sure what will happen until he returns from his vacation/"vacation" and see what the result will be.
In the original articles about this I saw there was no memo, or mention of why.

Soldato
Yup, on stock settings with an overblown voltage and a low HBM2 and core clock. Those can easily be pushed up while decreasing or maintaining power consumption. Again, the tweaking of the stock settings is where the power up will be.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thAF3FSRf_M
(Can find plenty more if you Google. Plenty of confirmed reports here on the forums as well)

Reference RX Vega 56 tweaked can match a reference 1080. So no, in my mind only realistic hope that the yields are steady enough to allow AIB's to tweak the default settings of their cards so the Vega 56 will become the go-to card.
Stock settings is where you do comparisons though. Did you they tweak the 1080 too? It's like saying I fitted a turbo to my car and it now keeps up with faster cars.

Under volting is not a good idea as it might be relevant to an individual card but won't apply to all Vega cards or indeed be stable for every application.

Permabanned

That's usually the case but the current Air and Water cards use a different revision of the chip which may give a different result, That's providing we see C1's used in the AIB's and not C0's.

Associate
Makes sense, hand the stuff he's no good at to someone else.

Typical big engineering company. Try to make a manager out of a technical guy. See it all the times, occasionally leads to brilliant managers (Lisa Su), mostly leads to tears.

No doubt that Raja is technically good, but it remains to be seen if he was an abysmal non-technical manager.

Soldato
Boss goes on holiday after a extremely busy year is a non story...

Raja just had a month of vacation already. He's barely got back before being told to pack his boxes and go away until December. He's been canned in all but name.

Do you know what else they call 3 months off immediately after a 1 month vacation, with no direct details, following an abysmal GPU launch? Garden leave.

They even put Lisa Su in his place. That's the person behind Zen by the way. No way Raja takes the spot back.

Soldato
Didn't he come back with Vega well under way? And Navi is meant to be his work from the ground up?
He came back over four years ago.

Even IF Vega was well underway by then there's no way it was too underway for him to say "you know what, this HBM idea is going to cost us a lot of money and be of zero benefit to the consumer, lets rework this for GDDR", he didn't, either because of cowardice or ineptitude, neither are qualities you want in your CTO.

Permabanned
Lets face it Vega is not a good GPU for its price and power consumption, it got blasted by the tech press... and rightfully so.

Raja is a great guy, i like him but is he doing a good job for AMD? Is Dr Lisa Su entirely happy with Raja's leadership at RTG?

AMD are stuck in a rut of 'not good enough GPU's,' they have been for a few years now, they can't go on like that indefinitely.

Hopefully they'll get him to focus his efforts on just the Navi Architecture when he comes back rather than split his time as they've done up to now, He may be a nice bloke and he may be a great architecture desgner but PR is not his forte.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom