• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 2060 KO or 5700? (Resolved - 2060 used)

Soldato
So my brain is hurting from looking.

Xfx 5700 DD at 319, or EVGA RTX 2060 KO?

As i see it the 5700 is significantly faster overall.
Has possibility of black screens.
Can be overclocked easily.

2060 KO has a poorly made cooler.
Possibly better in encoding and other loads if it comes with the 104 chip.
Can barely be overclocked.
Likely to come with less issues driver wise?

I cant believe i am second guessing my own recommendation of 5700 now lol. Some reviews put the 2060 as faster in the same games that on other reviews are much slower..so weird.

Soldato
OP
Their cards do seem to age better.

I don't care about rtx on the 2060. I mainly play first person shooters, so RT is not going ro help frame rates or be something i would have enabled 99% of the time. It isnt really even worthwhile on the 2060 in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
if you mean a XFX 5700 XL DD there around £285

I'm in the US. Sorry, should have been clearer.

I know that the 2070 and 5700xt are roughly the same speed, but are the 2060 and 5700 the same speed as each other?

The 5700 is faster from everything I see. Except for a Jays2Cents video where he shows the 2060 is FASTER... which goes against everything else I've seen. That's what made me second guess myself.

Soldato
OP
Well, i did what I thought I wouldn't.... I bought an RTX 2060 (Gigabyte GV-N2060GAMING-OC-6GD)... but .. 'used like new' for $230 delivered. If it is as it says then I'm happy with it. Will see on Thursday. (Hopefully not a scammer from 'warehouse').

(working in a tax free state is handy sometimes for deliveries :D )

The 5700 went back upto 329 and I just didn't want to wait any longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The drivers for the 5700 work fine, not perfect, as still theres a few things to iron out because the card has only been released about 5months ago.....

When I bought my r9 290 about 2 yrs after it got released, the drivers worked flawless and didnt have any problems. But I cant say if I have had any speed boost over the yrs of having the card, as I rarely run benchmarks

Seems to me that the 5700 is the better alround card. In my case, for the money, I couldn't turn the 2060 down. * crosses fingers *.

Soldato
OP
Definity the 2060KO.

Another story about AMD and their countless blunders with this range telling the AIBs to use the wrong mounting pressure so cooling less efficiently.

https://www.techradar.com/news/asus-admits-rog-strix-rx-5700-gpu-cooling-problems-and-blames-amd

Really... Really? You do realize that all the sites just parroted what ASUS misinformation put out. It was more than just the screws or pressure.. They completely failed to adequately secure the cooler to the card, and are trying to restore their rep by blaming AMD.

Let me just put only 2 lug nuts out of five on my wheels, but to the "recommended" pressure.... Oh.... Nissan.... Look what you did... Etc etc.

Soldato
OP
Where does it say they used fewer screws than recommended :confused: Your analogy makes no sense?

Why is it 'misinformation'? Just because you don't agree with the narrative. AMD has had plenty of time to reply to this story but has stayed silent.

It doesnt make sense to you.

A massive cooler designed by ASUS an inadequate retention system that is unable to retain the pressure recommended by AMD due to this inadequacy.

Lets be very clear, no other partners were struggling like this. Strange that...

Soldato
OP
If it was AMD's fault, why didn't all the other AIB's suffer the same problem? Surely they all got told the same?

Lol.. didn't see this before i made my comment. Absolutely agree.

EDIT: I just watched that hardware unboxed video..lol. mentions time after time about failure to attach the cooler correctly for such a heavy cooler. And mounting pressue... Even the cooler came away from the thrrmal pads .. how much more proof is needed that Asus screwed up for some people to realize it wasnt AMD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just read one of my earlier posts. Asus has a history of underengineered cooling for the FX503,FX504,FX505,GL502 and GL702 notebooks which used Nvidia GPUs. They refused to acknowledge the problems,and they lost a lawsuit over the GL502 last year and had to set aside $12 million towards 25000 people who were affected.

This might indeed be the case for this situation, but we are talking about something else here.

This is a blatant low effort + high price from Asus. No more, no less.

Soldato
OP
Well got delivered today and had 5 mins to test it after i i got the AMD card uninstalled. The 2060 is working great so far on the very short test of apex legends training area. For 230 USD all in, i am very pleased so far. Plus i feel that this is something i didnt didnt mysf in the foot if AMD announce a reasonable RT card or Nvidia get more serious with their RTX performance as well.

Soldato
OP
Not necessarily as it's another situation that Asus underengineered a cooling solution and let it's customers suffer. These gaming laptops can cost over £1000 and most people who buy products like that probably are not hardware enthusiasts. The fact they had to be forced by a court to fix it is not very good form, and indicates a lack of testing products before they sell them.

They can't even get cool running Nvidia GTX1060 mobile GPUs to not overheat - Nvidia must have not given them proper specifications (not).

Apologies btw, I realized I read your original comment as 'AMD has have a history of', and not "Asus have a his..'. Anywho... I suppose my original comment still stands, but might explain why I replied the way I did. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Pretty impressed with this Gigabyte card tbh. Stays around 62, very quiet, even when overclocked to 2040mhz and 2000mem.

I did have an initial issue with it, where it refused to go above 0.73volts and 1500mhz. Managed to stop that weirdness after 45 minutes of fiddling in the the AORUS menu (eventually the manual freq slider seemed to kick it into gear after an app crash.).

So far, good impressions. For $230... super happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
and here we go.... "dxgi_error_device_hung the applications device failed due to badly formed command sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed"

Let's all remember that Nvidia doesn't have issues lol. (I see that going back to a VERY old driver might resolve it. hmm 417, current is 442.)

Soldato
OP
It just works... yeah OK Jensen. :rolleyes:

None of the two brands are infallible, but to think sticking to one of them solves all your problems is water walking. Good to see though some honest folk sharing the green team's solid drivers. :) ;)

I never thought either brand is. .i have had problems with sound on nvidia before, and real random stuff on amd that required 101mhz on the pci bus not to crash the PC lol.

Anywho... There was an amd driver problem poll, and the internet blew up with reports from websites about it and how bad they are.

Soldato
OP
Well I have had my 5700xt for about 2weeks now and I haven't had no problems so far, it just works and Im one of these people who likes things just to work without faffing around with stuff. Basically plug it in and forget about it type of person.

I'm very happy with this card so far. (i reduced the OC on the card slightly and it's been good so far). I think it might be sensible to upgrade my 5/6 year old PSU though. If I hadn't seen chanced upon this cheap card, I would have bought a 5700 for sure, I had made my mind up, and as I got my bonus and pay rise a few days after buying this, it wouldn't have taking me long to press the buy button as I would have been out of excuses lol.

My wife is asking if I need/want anything else since buying the gfx card, so I might look at some CPU's/PSU's as well.

Soldato
OP
Yeah we were just trying to work out if it was a smear campaign or a collective effort for another reason because the noise should have been made about 5 months ago not now. Steve from GN went to AMD at the CES to stress a point, people could have been sheep back then.

Now we got a major electronics brand palming off their products were below standard incorrectly, and keyboard hero's sticking the knife in where they can lol. :) Reminds me of the Russian interference in the US elections.

It really does seem like that. One thing I have noticed with google, is that you are really targetted with stories about a topic you might have clicked on, so it makes it look like it is blowing up. But I will say, all those regular techs sites started to through articles up that were basically just the darn 'notice' from Asus, like it was fact. Thanks to hardware unboxed for calling BS on that one.

Soldato
OP
Just a follow up here. Nvidia just released a new driver which is listed as fixing the exact issue I was seeing for Apex Legends:

Fixed Issues in NVIDIA GeForce 442.50 Driver
  • [Apex Legends]: The game may crash with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887A0006. [2679551]
  • [Mortal Kombat]: The game may randomly crash to the desktop without error [2813996]
  • [Zombie Army: Dead War 4][Vulkan][HDR]:Corrupted flickering occurs when in-game HDR is enabled. [200585136]
  • [Battleye][Low-Latency Mode]: Launching Battleye with NVIDIA Low Latency Mode set to
  • Ultra may cause DWM to reset. [2834199]
  • [Twitch Studio]: The app shows corruption when Image Sharpening is enabled globally from the NVIDIA Control Panel [2811830]
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed crashes when playing in a water level. [2826669]
  • [Zombie Army: Dead War 4][Vulkan]: Game may flicker when in-game HDR is enabled. [200585136]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan]: Random crashes occur during gameplay on Pascal and older GPUs.[2822927]
Looking at forums, this has been an issue for Nvidia cards for a long time now. So good to finally have it fixed. Look at some of those other fixes as well. To say that Nvidia doesn't have issues with their drivers is misinformed to say the least. I'm obviously happy they fixed it for Apex though, as this is the main game I play at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom