• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2080 ti blower or open-fan advice

Associate
Hi,

I'd be really grateful for some help (and hope I'm posting this in the right place!)

I have a phanteks evolve micro atx case and have just purchased an evga 2080ti blower card. Given I have a micro atx case I have always thought it was wise to go with a blower style card due to the smaller size of the case. However, I am now wondering if I could actually get away with using an open-air style gpu in the case? I attach a pic of the build (the top/front panel of the case has been taken off in the pic).

For info, I previously purchased an msi 1080 gaming open-air gpu and found that it dramatically increased CPU temps (I'm overclocking the CPU) so I went with a blower style 1080 but now I'm wondering if that was just an issue with that particular open-air card. Looking at the pic, is the issue that the GPU is seated very close to the CPU cooler which would thus increase CPU temps if I was using an open-air style card?

If you think I could use an open-air style GPU in the build, I'd also appreciate any advice on whether I could get away with using a card which has an extra thick heat sink such as the evga 2080ti XC ultra gaming or should i stick to something less bulky e.g. EVGA 2080ti black edition (I tend to always go with EVGA cards)?

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Phanetks Matx evolve case
intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.5
Bequiet dark rock 3 CPU cooler
32 gb ram
Corsair RM750 PSU
EVGA 2080ti blower (currently!)

9r5C9y6.jpg

You would probably be best off with a hybrid card using a 120mm radiator so heat goes straight out the back while keeping the card cool and quiet. You can buy EVGA hybrid kits for the 2080Ti if you didn’t want to bother returning it.

If you are happy with the noise levels then it’s entirely up to you. An undervolt does work wonders. I usually keep mine at 2010mhz 950mv and +1000 memory being watercooled. Vs I think 2050mhz at 1050mv.

The card will even do 1850mhz at 800mv while consuming 60% power limit. Talking around 5% performance loss.

The XC ultra is a triple slot card so I think you will struggle fitting it into that case and having enough room for air to the card.

I think in your situation a hybrid or blower card is probably the best choice. An open air card such as the XC will impact cpu temps as all of the heat is dumped into the case.

Last edited:
You would probably be best off with a hybrid card using a 120mm radiator so heat goes straight out the back while keeping the card cool and quiet. You can buy EVGA hybrid kits for the 2080Ti if you didn’t want to bother returning it.

If you are happy with the noise levels then it’s entirely up to you. An undervolt does work wonders. I usually keep mine at 2010mhz 950mv and +1000 memory being watercooled. Vs I think 2050mhz at 1050mv.

The card will even do 1850mhz at 800mv while consuming 60% power limit. Talking around 5% performance loss.

The XC ultra is a triple slot card so I think you will struggle fitting it into that case and having enough room for air to the card.

I think in your situation a hybrid or blower card is probably the best choice. An open air card such as the XC will impact cpu temps as all of the heat is dumped into the case.
Best option IMO, You have an EVGA card so get a EVGA hybrid kit, i would also get the evga powerlink so the GPU cables are out of the way as much as possible to increase air flow

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-xc-xc2-fe-hs-00b-ea.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...most-evga-1080ti-1080-1070-1060-gx-30v-ea.htm

Back
Top Bottom