• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3060 - is 450W enough?

Soldato
Just ordered an RTX 3060, upgraded from a GTX 1050Ti.

RTX 3060

The rest of my rig consists of an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 at 3.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 2x SSD, and a single 120mm fan.

I was wondering if 450W is enough to run the upgraded GPU? It is an overclocked version. I will be doing mining, and some light gaming.

Nvidia states 550W minimum. Don't get the minimum though (I'll spare you the essay about why). I'd be getting a 750W, but 650W is probably fine. Also never skimp on the PSU, there are cheapo ones, you don't want those.

Recommended PSU 650W​

That's according to Asus be it in an overclocked system.

Does seem low to me 450w tbh. Though mining apparently uses less than gaming loads.
Also depends on what PSU it is too

You can work it out.

Find out the max power draw for your CPU and GPU, they both run on the 12v rail. Maybe add 10% for comfort, but don't forget peak draw will realistically be lower.

Do this is watts or amps, but obviously keep it consistent.

Then find whatever power supply you have or planning on, find out how much that supplies over 12v and your done.

That's according to Asus be it in an overclocked system.

Does seem low to me 450w tbh. Though mining apparently uses less than gaming loads.
Also depends on what PSU it is too
The PSU is a Corsair CS Series™ Modular CS450M — 450 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold.

I'll give it a go and see if I have any issues. When I entered the details on a power calculator it came to about 380W for everything.

It isn't the average power consumption that is the problem with modern cards, it is the transients / power spikes.

This is not a typical 3060, but you can see it spikes up to 300 watts and that's enough to trip lesser PSUs.

Since you're primarily mining, I'd be much less concerned about it, because the power draw is much lower and way more consistent than games. Light gaming should be fine, especially if you keep the underclock/undervolt from mining settings.

The PSU is a Corsair CS Series™ Modular CS450M — 450 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold.

I'll give it a go and see if I have any issues. When I entered the details on a power calculator it came to about 380W for everything.

You'll be fine. People recommending 650W PSUs are are being ridiculous. The RTX 3060 uses less power at peak than an RX 580 for example. Your CPU sips power.

You'll be fine. People recommending 650W PSUs are are being ridiculous. The RTX 3060 uses less power at peak than an RX 580 for example. Your CPU sips power.
It's more to do with the transient loads that happen. Some PSUs can't cope with the sudden rapid rise and drop in power usage. Older PSUs usually can't handle this so while 450W should be fine on sustained loads with the 3060, considering it's from 2015 it might not be able to handle the spikes.

But I would give it a go anyway and see if it's fine with OP's usage.

Well, the new card has arrived! Fantastic delivery speed from Overclockers! Only ordered it yesterday.

I am only using it for mining right now, and its getting between 45-50MH on NiceHash Excavator. I set the power limit in MSI afterburner so it now only outputs 125W, and the mining isn't affected.

My only issue is the temperature, as my case is not the best with only one fan, I am getting temps into the 80's. I will try moving the fan, and if its still too high I will have to get another fan.

Well, the new card has arrived! Fantastic delivery speed from Overclockers! Only ordered it yesterday.

I am only using it for mining right now, and its getting between 45-50MH on NiceHash Excavator. I set the power limit in MSI afterburner so it now only outputs 125W, and the mining isn't affected.

My only issue is the temperature, as my case is not the best with only one fan, I am getting temps into the 80's. I will try moving the fan, and if its still too high I will have to get another fan.
Can you add any extra fans to the case ?

Back
Top Bottom