RTX 3080 compatibility advice

Associate
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase this rtx 3080 graphics card: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06b-pl.html

I’m trying to understand if there will be any compatibility or bottleneck issues with my current setup:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (8 cores 16 threads)
Cpu cooler - AMD Wraith Prism

Motherboard: A320M-S2H V2-CF

Ram - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz dd4 ram

Hard drives:

SSD - 500GB Crucial Nvme m.2 Solid state drive

HDD: 1TB Western Digital black edition
Power Supply - Fractal Design 750 watt 80plus Gold power supply
Case - White CiT Raider Tempered Glass RGB case

Operating system - Windows 10 Pro - (Fully activated and licensed)

I just use this PC for gaming.

I am still somewhat new to pc building so please bear that in mind when giving me advice!

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
You're limited to PCI-E 3.0, but it's fine.

Your CPU will be a moderate bottleneck at 1440p, but less so at 4K (review).
Ill be gaming at 1440p…

Would my Ryzen 7 2700x not perform better than the Ryzen 5’s being covered in that review? You’ll have to forgive my poor knowledge on these things.

Last edited:
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase this rtx 3080 graphics card: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06b-pl.html

I’m trying to understand if there will be any compatibility or bottleneck issues with my current setup:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (8 cores 16 threads)
Cpu cooler - AMD Wraith Prism

Motherboard: A320M-S2H V2-CF

Ram - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz dd4 ram

Hard drives:

SSD - 500GB Crucial Nvme m.2 Solid state drive

HDD: 1TB Western Digital black edition
Power Supply - Fractal Design 750 watt 80plus Gold power supply
Case - White CiT Raider Tempered Glass RGB case

Operating system - Windows 10 Pro - (Fully activated and licensed)

I just use this PC for gaming.

I am still somewhat new to pc building so please bear that in mind when giving me advice!

Thanks,
Ben

Don't buy it.

Get the PNY 12GB 3080 instead for exactly the same money.

Last edited:
Ill be gaming at 1440p…

Would my Ryzen 7 2700x not perform better than the Ryzen 5’s being covered in that review? You’ll have to forgive my poor knowledge on these things.

Yeah it would, it's just to give you an idea how they perform at different resolutions. Personally I'd be fine with putting a 3080 in your system, but expectations vary and as the video shows, some games care about the CPU more/less than others.

The 3070 FE appears to be available for £469 for the moment too, I'd imagine that'd be better value than an AIB 3080 if the OP is satisfied with a 3070?

Don't buy it.

What difference would that offer?
Yeah it would, it's just to give you an idea how they perform at different resolutions. Personally I'd be fine with putting a 3080 in your system, but expectations vary and as the video shows, some games care about the CPU more/less than others.

The 3070 FE appears to be available for £469 for the moment too, I'd imagine that'd be better value than an AIB 3080 if the OP is satisfied with a 3070?

Ultimately what I want is to be able to play games like cyberpunk at 1440p (later on probably at 4k) with ray tracing on and settings on ultra at around 60fps or higher where possible. Do you think a 3070 would enable that?

Ultimately what I want is to be able to play games like cyberpunk at 1440p (later on probably at 4k) with ray tracing on and settings on ultra at around 60fps or higher where possible. Do you think a 3070 would enable that?

Erm, one has 10GB of VRam, and the other has 12GB.

Not to mention the 12GB variant is slightly faster, due to having 3‰ more cores and an extra 30W if needed.

I can't find a review that includes RTX & Ultra quality for Cyberpunk, but I found some gameplay videos and the answer is: no, it is under 60 fps at 1440p. But, if you turn the settings down and/or use DLSS (res scaling), then yes, it is achievable. 4K: no, it is unplayable at these settings (RTX & Ultra quality), but medium and DLSS will run at 60 fps.

As @Kelt says, if going for a 3080, go for the 12gb version. As well as the 2gb extra vram which will come in useful, it has 8960 cuda cores compared to 8704 cores on the 10gb. Memory bus is 384 bit on 12gb (same as 3080ti)vs 320 on 10gb model, so bandwidth is 912gb/s vs 760gb/s.... performance is closer to a 3080ti than the 3080 standard model. A no brainer at the same price. Then again, why not just go full Monty and get the 4080 12gb model, at least you'll have dlss 3, which current carss wont ge able to use

Ultimately what I want is to be able to play games like cyberpunk at 1440p (later on probably at 4k) with ray tracing on and settings. Do you think a 3070 would enable that?
Not at all.

You would definitely be better off with the 12gig 3080 as the others have said.

I went from a 3060 ti to a 3080 and the jump was amazing. Can’t imagine the 3070 working very well for you if 4K is your end goal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom