• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 on my system?

Associate
Seriously thinking of purchasing a RTX 3080 on my present system. I don't see any compatibility problems, however my Intel Core 6700K may struggle to keep up with the powerful 3080? I will consider a MB/CPU/Ram upgrade later, but not at same time. My present PSU Corsair AX860 will be OK for the extra power consumption. Would the RTX 3080Ti (I think there are Ti versions) make any noticeable difference with the extra memory, I think not? Any thoughts please?

System:- Intel Core i7 6700K, Asus Maximus VIII Hero, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz, Corsair AX860 PSU.

Last edited:
It will depend on your use case, do you have any use for the additional ram? If not there is little in terms of performance difference (generally ~30% judging by previous generations) to offset the price differences between future 3080ti and 3080.

Hi, Also have an i7 6700k served me well also interested in the 3080 unless AMD pulls something out was wondering if it may hold back the 3080 I have an 240hz 1440p screen if it does might be tempted upgrading to Ryzen 4000 but think I will wait and see the price and performance increase

It will depend on your use case, do you have any use for the additional ram? If not there is little in terms of performance difference (generally ~30% judging by previous generations) to offset the price differences between future 3080ti and 3080.
I will soon be buying MS Flightsim 2020, and it will be OK on my present system but probably not on high and definitely not ultra settings. It would be interesting to see how higher settings I can go with a RTX 3080 so maybe a Ti version may be better with this sim? And thinking of purchasing the HP Reverb G2 VR headset, so the RTX 3080 will be needed for that. However, I still think my present Intel Core i7 6700K will struggle, and could hold back the full power of the 3080?

Back
Top Bottom