• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

Associate
I recently changed the thermal pads out on my RTX 3090 FE as it would heat up to 104 degrees on my memory while mining for a short while. But my card runs at 102 degrees on the memory now so it didn’t make much of a difference.

Could it be because my gpu is so close to my cpu cooler that there isn’t enough airflow to cool the memory chips? The only other thing I can think of is that I used my fingers to place the thermal pads and apparently that effects performance.

The idle temperatures seem to have improved 31 degrees on the core and 40 on the memory.

Associate
Better thermalpad will help transfer more of the heat to the backplate, but this alone won't return groundbreaking improvement.
Adding direct airflow to the backplate could help, but increasing the surface by adding heatsinks is the way to go.
I'm just unsure if you have space for that.
What I noticed when replacing only the thermalpad is that the backplate got hotter. The heat transfer surely improved, but the backplate alone can't dissipate that much heat.

Soldato
So what are nvidia saying about these heat problems with there fe gpus ? a design flaw or what.

Imagine if I go to the dealer and ask what they are doing to fix the heat problems with their brakes because I'm racing my car around a track which it was not designed to do

Soldato
Oh, i thought i read other threads about the fe cards causing problems with heat in just games as well, and they changed the thermal pads to get a 20c drop. otherwise games were throttling.

Associate
I recently changed the thermal pads out on my RTX 3090 FE as it would heat up to 104 degrees on my memory while mining for a short while. But my card runs at 102 degrees on the memory now so it didn’t make much of a difference.

Could it be because my gpu is so close to my cpu cooler that there isn’t enough airflow to cool the memory chips? The only other thing I can think of is that I used my fingers to place the thermal pads and apparently that effects performance.

The idle temperatures seem to have improved 31 degrees on the core and 40 on the memory.

What thermal pads did you use for replacement?

For BEST results, use Gelid Extreme, 1.5mm for backplate PCB hotspot, backplate VRAM and IC/square chips. For good results, Gelid Ultimate 1.5mm. In testing all three, Thermalright Odyssey was the worst.
Note: Gelid Extremes on the back while at least 2C cooler than Gelid Ultimates, will tend to melt and turn into a very sticky putty (this does NOT happen on the core side!), which will make backplate removal extremely hard or even dangerous, without a full pre-heat of the card (mining benchmark, hairdryer, etc). Gelid Ultimates will be much easier to remove without pre-heat, although the pads will tend to rip up after use under intense heat.

For even BETTER Results with the Gelid Extreme 1.5mm pads, combine this with a 120mm * 60mm low profile heatsink + a single Noctua 60mm PWM fan in the middle. (if you can't find a single 120mm * 60mm heatsink in that size, two 60mm * 60mm heatsinks side by side will work, make sure the fin stack sits horizontally connecting both heatsinks so the fan can blow the air out. SOME People have said a fan in 'pull' does better than "Push" on a mount like this though.

Use 3M double sided thermal tape (8815 I think it's called?) to attach the heatsinks if they don't come with one for "decent" results. For awesome results, use direct thermal pads (Gelid Ultimate this time for this! This may require two packs of 90mm * 50mm), combined with zip ties to secure the heatsink firmly (don't leave it floating, that's just not safe), then the Noctua 60mm on top (in the middle, centered).

For GPU Core side, ONLY use Gelid Extreme 1.5mm (VRAM, VRM's, single square chip IC). Ultimates are too high of a shore rating (Odysseys are even harder) which will cause very slow Core hotspot degradation over time due to low contact pressure caused by hard thermal pads lack of compression.

Associate
OP
Ok I’ve taken the side panel off the case and it’s now sitting at 98 degrees at 50% fan speed so I didn’t mess up the thermal pads. I’ll have to get an aio to free up some space between the gpu and cpu cooler.

Soldato
Ok I’ve taken the side panel off the case and it’s now sitting at 98 degrees at 50% fan speed so I didn’t mess up the thermal pads. I’ll have to get an aio to free up some space between the gpu and cpu cooler.

Just do what all miners do

* undervolt the card to 800mv
* reduce memory clock speed by 500mhz
* stick a couple fans to the back of the card

Or you can pony up and by a full EKWB front and back block that cools everything on the card for $500 - you can afford the 3090 so you can afford decent water cooling

Soldato

Or you can pony up and by a full EKWB front and back block that cools everything on the card for $500 - you can afford the 3090 so you can afford decent water cooling

Or swap for a cooler running RX 6900XTX :p

Associate

I had thermalright pads and now using gelid extreme, both pads have similar temps, games 82c to 88c and benchmarks 90c to 96c.

As Falkentyne mentioned above do keep checking the gpu and hotspot temps. With thermalright pads both gpu and hotspot temps were up by around 5c after a week. I took it apart and found thermal paste on center of gpu dried up.

Changed to gelid pads last week, temps remain the same so far.

Associate
I used thermalight 1.5mm both sides and re-pasted gpu with mx-5 as I had it off. Temps dropped 40c when mining it made an incredible difference.

All I can say is if the temps didn't drastically drop then you probably missed a pad or used wrong size pad or something like that.

After doing it I was able to put a significant overclock on vram before I didn't have any overclock and the temps are still lower by 20c

Soldato

pretty much this,

im running 850Mv at 1950mhz (faster than stock) and +500MHz on mermory at 68C

Soldato
I managed to bag a 3090fe, delivered yesterday.
And I'd not actually thought through how the cards thermals worked until I installed the card and realised the my PC case's metal structure blocked about 50% of the 3090's rear exhaust.

I've ended up snipping two metal braces off my case to allow the 3090 to breathe correctly.

I wonder how many others this affects?

yBGCxR8.jpeg
rc9oNqc.jpeg

Jobs a fish :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
@FlyingFish

Yep, rookie error if any 3090FE owner’s not done this yet. Mine’s been like that since last year.

Typical gaming temps of about 65C and mid 80’s on the VRAM. Can’t say that I’ve tried mining though…

Soldato
@FlyingFish

Yep, rookie error if any 3090FE owner’s not done this yet. Mine’s been like that since last year.

Typical gaming temps of about 65C and mid 80’s on the VRAM. Can’t say that I’ve tried mining though…

That vram temp is good, what sort of fan curve are you running? Have you done the thermal pads? Mine peaks at 96C from what I've seen, and that's running ray traced games at high settings.

Back
Top Bottom