• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4090 CPU Bottleneck & Stuttering

I had stuttering for what seemed to be no reason. Apart from the raw performance increase of the 4090, my old 3090 played a smoother game. Lots a head scratching and even looking at the 12700 cpu as the culprit I actually found from some googling it was the version of Windows that was causing it. I'd even done a fresh Windows install, brought it straight up to date and stuttering was still there.

Turns out I needed to find and install 21H2, and NOT the latest 22H2.
So started again with a fresh but older version 21H2 Windows install, found the correct iso from the web. Made sure Windows wasnt going to update to 22H2 in the background. And I'm back to super smooth super fast gaming.. What a farce.
I have tried on the older windows versions as well with the same issue. Nothing seemed to change it even when doing that. The new windows 22h2 actually recently had a fix for the gaming issues so you will
Probably find you are okay now.

Cheers

Just watched the video you posted earlier, does it do that in all games? That is quite a stutter!
Pretty much every game apart from AC valhallah, and forza horizon. some games its not as frequent. but the thing is i have rebuilt the entire the computer i changed the PSU, GPU, motherboard, CPU, SSD. and its still happening. what on earth am i missing. i have posted some logs above as well if you have any idea what's going on it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have resizeable bar enabled? And have you tried with the audio device disabled?
Your Samsung drive, is it installed in the primary full speed slot on the mobo? (cant remember its correct name, its usually the one closest to the CPU).

Edit: I'm just looking at the differences we have in dxdiag, your LG 4K only does 60Hz and over hdmi. Do you have way of running over a faster display, maybe something with gsync or freesync?

Last edited:
Do you have resizeable bar enabled? And have you tried with the audio device disabled?
Your Samsung drive, is it installed in the primary full speed slot on the mobo? (cant remember its correct name, its usually the one closest to the CPU).

Edit: I'm just looking at the differences we have in dxdiag, your LG 4K only does 60Hz and over hdmi. Do you have way of running over a faster display, maybe something with gsync or freesync?
It’s an lg OLED C2 it’s doing 120hz over 4k 100% it’s displaying wrong there for some reason. But I have tried with an Alienware OLED as well. Gsync is also enabled here as well.

you can see here it is showing 120 :)
Display Devices

---------------
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nngfXjtJ8h1wUgVi9CqxYWfjreGqqXQY/view?usp=sharing

I have also tried on my lg OLED c1 which is also 120hz over 4k

Samsung drive is closest slot to mobo as well yes and tried 2 different SSD

Reasonable bar is also enabled in the bios.

new modern warfare also seems to run fine but most of my other titles keep having these weird lows resulting in stutter

EDIT

Just tried no with audio devices disabled from device manager and no change... :(

Cheers

Last edited:
Why is the CPU utilization only 0-3% during gaming? That seems very low. Do you have windows power plan set to high performance?
thats a GERFORCE EXPERIENCE bug. if i use msi afterburner its more accurate and is around 30-40 percent. not sure why its not been resolved yet to be honest...

edit

it is also already set to high performance yes

Last edited:
If you've essentially tried two different PCs worth of parts is there anything you haven't changed between attempts?
Clutching at straws but, HDMI cable, 12vhpwr 4090 cable, psu to wall?
Got any overlays or other programs running?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know what you mean. The new Raptor Lake chips are insane an i5 13600k is more powerful than an i9 12900k at gaming workloads.

However, I’m fine with the i7 12700k performance. I can buy a new Z690 or Z790 motherboard, not sure if i’ll go for a 12700k or 13600k yet.

Is it worth investing in a DDR5 capable motherboard or should I get DDR4? Since it’s my bedroom PC I’d prefer to save some costs if I can re-use my 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM.

On the other hand if the DDR4 RAM will bottleneck and I’m shelling out for a new motherboard and CPU I’d rather go for DDR5.

You own 2 x 4090s - get the DDR5 option as you have the money

If you've essentially tried two different PCs worth of parts is there anything you haven't changed between attempts?
Clutching at straws but, HDMI cable, 12vhpwr 4090 cable, psu to wall?
Got any overlays or other programs running?
Tried all the cables before ye! And the 4090 power cable!

PSU to wall not sure what I could do about that?

Did you turn of GPU Hardware accelerated shedule option or so under windows11 graphic settings?

This Option is known for causing stutter effects, but normaly not extreme ones.

Unluckily it seems that, it is needed for dlss3 according to 3D Mark test.

Did you turn of GPU Hardware accelerated shedule option or so under windows11 graphic settings?

This Option is known for causing stutter effects, but normaly not extreme ones.

Unluckily it seems that, it is needed for dlss3 according to 3D Mark test.
I have tried with and without this and it’s the same regardless! I really don’t have a clue what it is now as it’s basically an entire new build now so clearly know parts are broken now and never were! I did a fresh windows install last night! Only think I can think is maybe 120hz and the drops to 80fps is what causes the stutter cause it’s to much of a drops for 4k but I don’t know.

OK, the seems nothing more to try.
Have you put a different output device / monitor on the Second PC?
I crosstesting possible, with both PCs @ the other Room Monitor/TV?

OK, the seems nothing more to try.
Have you put a different output device / monitor on the Second PC?
I crosstesting possible, with both PCs @ the other Room Monitor/TV?
So it’s not 2 separate pc I just replaced every component in it and sold the old
Ones and still get the same
Issue.

I did try it though on an Alienware qd OLED and had the same issue on that so returned it.

Surely all these games should not be having huge fps drops :(

One think I have noticed though is that I cap my fps to 118 and if you divide that by 5 it’s 23! And there where the fps drops to some time which almost makes me feel like gsync is hardly doing a thing! It says it’s on and working but makes me wonder a bit as gsync is meant to smooth these drops out I thought!

One think I have noticed though is that I cap my fps to 118 and if you divide that by 5 it’s 23! And there where the fps drops to some time which almost makes me feel like gsync is hardly doing a thing! It says it’s on and working but makes me wonder a bit as gsync is meant to smooth these drops out I thought!
Meant to be 117 surely. That and vsync on in nvcpl and off in games.

Meant to be 117 surely. That and vsync on in nvcpl and off in games.
Tried 117 as well haha! And ye vsync on in NCP and off In games and I get the huge lows which cause the stutter like I’m the video in this post. I have changed resolution on monitor ti 1440 as well ti see and same issue!

Could it be my Kingston fury beast ddr5? The cas is 40 would this really cause stutter and huge drops?

Back
Top Bottom