• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX2070 super on an X58 platform

bru

bru

Soldato
Ok I have waited for what seems like an age to consider buying my new graphics card and I've finally settled on a RTX2070 super, probably an EVGA one, but I just wanted to check if anyone as running one on an X58 platform before ordering.

My currant MSi 970 gamerX has done me proud, but I feel it is time to upgrade. Now I know that my Xenon 5650 6 core @4.4 will probably bottleneck a RTX2070 super, but I'm not to worried about that, as it will be quite an upgrade regardless.
I'm more worried about the non UFEI bios and the PCIe 2 interface. So if anyone is running a RTX card with a x58 motherboard ideally a Gigabyte X58A UD3R?

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
PCIe 2 will still be good for a while longer. I would expect a minimal impact on performance. That said, I would seriously consider upgrading to the new AMD platform with PCIe 4.0

I upgraded from a 2500k to a 6700k and noticed a difference in productivity when working with very large documents, excel and referencing software. I especially noticed a big improvement in responsiveness moving from a Samsung 830 to a 970 Evo.

At the moment it is an either or situation, cannot do both GPU and CPU. With the my GPU an MSI 970 gamerX is being the weaker link between my GPU and CPU.

Starting to doubt my self now, do I need a GPU now or could I put up with the 970 for another year. Hmm decisions decisions.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
If you're buying that GPU then your are probably gaming at 1440p which will work the card harder than the cpu. 2070s is more 2080 territory which is a step up from 1080p resolution for full use.

Yup 1440 144hz with GSync.

I'm just starting to wonder if it is a good idea at all and all the while the pre-order que gets longer and longer.

Hmm decisions decisions.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
OK so is the EVGA with a 10 year warranty extension worth an extra £79?

Bear in mind I have had the MSI 970 since Sept 2014 which is coming up for 5 years ago, it only cost me £282, so this GPU will be quite a step up from that, but I suppose that is a sign of the times.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Yes I've heard some horror stories about Asus warranty before, but fortunately OCUK cover the warranty for the first 3 years I believe.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Well I've decided to go for one of the Asus cards.

just waiting to here from OCUK to see what number in the que I am.

I'm guessing about 350ish but probably miles out.:)

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Very surprised to find out I'm only 81 on the list. I fully expected there to be more interest in this card.

I know it will still be a good while if the distributors are sending them in 10's, but I cannot wait all the same.:D

Back
Top Bottom