Ruddy sods law!

Soldato
I swear my car knows that im violating it and that its internals are going to be ripped out in the next month if it likes it or not!

I broke down on the M61 tonight, outside lane going along about 80ish and heard a noise similar to running over stones. Thought it was funny as i didnt see anything, but it went away so thought all was good, 10 seconds later, same thing followed by the battery light coming on...

Uh oh was my first thinking, pulled over to the inside lane and started thinking about what could have gone, my guess was alternator belt. Was considering if i could carry on driving like this as i was most of the way home, but then noticed the temperature start to creep up.

:mad:

The next junction (Botany Bay/Chorley) was just around the corner so thought about trying to make it but decided to coast to a halt before it instead of risking any damage!

Bonnet up quick and i see that the belts shredded completely and it seems to be leaking coolant from somewhere.

Some swearing later, AA call out, 90 min wait in the ******* freezing! Good thing i had a big coat and gloves and hat in the car!

Get told i only have roadside assistance, which is pretty useless since i told them on the phone what the fault was, and they could take me 10 miles. I guessed at it being about 12 to my house, the guy phoned up his boss, then stuck my post code in tomtom, came out as shortest route to be 10.4! :) So i got a lift all the way home.

Radiator looks to be leaking a little by the bottom left corner as you look at it from the front, and then also a little in the bottom left quarter, near one set of fins. Topped the coolant up and drove it onto my drive (Had a 1/4" set, 4L of coolant and 2L of oil in the car). But theres no PAS or anything now so was REALLY heavy (heavier than non assisted steering i swear!)

Ill look at it tomorrow, but i think ill get away with a new belt and i have the radiator off the coupe turbo anyway (its just not at my house so cant do it this week). I dont rely on my car, but i was going away this weekend with the girlfriend and i was suposed to be driving as her cars getting serviced, at least its not broken on the way there i supose!

Belts were due to be swapped when i changed engines over, went and got them all priced up last week, and would be doing them in two weeks time! :(

Hasnt killed my enthusiasm anyway, gives me time to finish the dashboard and concentrate on uni work!

Soldato
OP
Dogbreath said:
It is heavier than non-assisted steering. Power racks usualy have a higher ratio than manual ones and you also have to push the hydraulic fluid around the system when you turn the wheel.

Do the fins on the radiator show signs of damage? If so the belt could have caused some damage when it came off, but equaly the coolant could have started boiling inside the engine after the belt broke and the pressure cap has dumped some coolant around the engine bay.
Pretty sure i saw some piddling out before when i got home and topped it up, just had some food/warmed up/had a beer and a relax. Ill go investigate now but think it will be empty! :(

Soldato
OP
Been out again and the coolant just seems to have piddled out, perhaps when it overheated the extra pressure forced it out a bit as its not lost any and its ~2 hours since i topped it up.

Fingers crossed i can replace the belt and get away with it! :)

Soldato
OP
Will have to have a go, means borrowing money and getting on my bike which i dont fancy in the ice or getting a lift round places from a mate tomorrow to get things as i dont get paid till Friday and need the car!

Soldato
OP
Shopping list, belt + 15mm ring spanner if i cant find one in the shed, i know i dont personally have one but dad might do in his completely random box of tools 90% of which is screwdrivers, 20 of them and not much else.

Probably need some coolant too if its leaking, thinking maybe its just a pressure leak though if its not leaking now :)

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
Where was it leaking from Karl?

The rad or water pump housing?

Is the rad on its last legs?

Lol the rad is buggered, the fins fall to bits if you touch it. Was leaking bottom left corner, a little on the actual corner which its done for a while but ive ignored it. And also about 3" in and 3" up from the left corner when it was hot.

Guessing its pop the new belt on get it running and see!

Suposed to be working on uni assignments tomorrow! :mad:

Soldato
OP
austinpowers said:
Yeah fantastic design, now why can't the rest of the car be like that :p

I changed mine in like two minutes whilst parked outside Unipart.
Did mine this morning, took 10-15 mins since ive not changed one before and needed to find a jack after i realised i couldnt fit under the car. Got my head under and then nearly got stuck....

Went to the bakery afterwards, got home and wondered why people were giving me funny looks, face was covered in muck :D

Car seems to be fine, doesnt seem to leak coolant so guess it was just the pressure causing it to lose some from the radiator where its got a weakness or thin spot.

Happy again, only needs to last me two weeks this engine! :)

Soldato
OP
austinpowers said:
You got under it?

I changed mine from the top, saying that you probably have less space being a 200.
Need to turn the wheel to full right lock and jack it up a little to get under it to get the ring spanner over the tensioner.

Fed the belt in from the top, slipped it over the two larger pulleys first and around the tensioner then worked it over the top of the small upper pulley on the alternator with my right hand while holding the ring spanner holding tensioner with my left.

Once i had it on it wasnt for coming off, took some force to get the spanner back off the nut again so i could put the dirt cover on!

Back
Top Bottom