Rump or Sirloin?

Associate
Outside of the two - Ribeye! That marbling gives such a rich tasting steak even when its cremated. Aldi's in particular is very good.

Otherwise, I do tend to opt for rump personally despite sirloin being generally considered the better cut.

Ribeye - cremated
Rump - medium
Sirloin - medium rare

Blasphemy for some I know, but theres nothing like a nice steak cooked to perfection with the addition of a big lump of stilton sitting on it under the grill for a few mins. Divine.

Oil the meat not the pan. In to searing hot pan, ideally cast iron. Few mins either side, leave it alone. Knob of butter at the end to baste. Allow to rest. Season AFTER!!!!

Soldato
If it's a steak dish where I'm slicing the steak, like a sandwhich or dressed salad, then Rump for the added flavour and texture. If it's just cooked simply in the pan and served with accompaniments probably the sirloin as it's a touch more tender and the cuts are generally nice and easy to get even for accurate cooking.

Soldato
I used to buy rump when I was a poorer person but still wanted steak as it was always cheaper and ok. Now it is Fillet, Ribeye, Sirloin then Rump. I put Fillet first mainly because I dont have steak often and when I do I want the best I can - I am also not a lover of fat or gristle and that is one thing that ribeye and sirloin always seems to have too much of, and I can never get that edible without cremating the actual steak.

Whast with all these poverty steaks, get tomahawks ;)

https://www.foodtoyourhome.com/lon-...0tqJoSdTzvLZ5hqK48BuwM_zspKnfraoaAvPjEALw_wcB

Seriously though, if its BBQ its ribeye or sirloin, if its pan cooked its sirloin or fillet
To me its more important to have a good look through and pick a good one without fussing too much about the cut
Oddly if you can find a fatty(ish) fillet its probably the dogs, but you dont get many as they are inherently not a fatty cut

Personally the only attraction I find from rump is as its a cheaper cut it tends to be a bigger portion. Plenty of places you can only get a 6oz fillet and in general thats not big enough ;)

Soldato
My most regular steak is actually cheap stuff - I buy the twin packs of "medallion steaks" from Tesco for £3. You need to look through them to find the better ones, but they turn out ok. It's not really the same sort of purchase as buying proper steak, though - I just have these with salad for lunch.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I used to buy rump when I was a poorer person but still wanted steak as it was always cheaper and ok. Now it is Fillet, Ribeye, Sirloin then Rump. I put Fillet first mainly because I dont have steak often and when I do I want the best I can - I am also not a lover of fat or gristle and that is one thing that ribeye and sirloin always seems to have too much of, and I can never get that edible without cremating the actual steak.

Find yourself a local quality butcher (top tip if its the one "everyone uses" then its not a quality butcher) where you can examine the marbling on the steak, a good butcher will usually have a few different offerings and you can pick the one best suited to your tastes.

Our butcher knows the type of ribeye I like is also on leaner side and gives me a buzz when something comes in.

Man of Honour
Not really, butchers that "everyone uses" usually fall into the category of high volume and cheap, which is why "everyone" uses them and usually has a huge premium to specific cuts that have been hung or aged for more than a few days.

Didn't require further explanation.

Soldato
I can't believe there are many people who would order a rump out of choice?
According to many chefs, it's the most flavourful cut and hence why those people choose it. Some lesser chefs may struggle to get the best flavour, as it takes much longer than the expensive cuts that they typically just fry for 2 minutes, but they're usually the type that get their pasta sauces from jars rather than making their own over the course of several hours.

I'm happy with pretty much any cut, and I'll gladly **** off the snobby purists by ordering it medium-well. :p

Soldato
According to many chefs, it's the most flavourful cut and hence why those people choose it. Some lesser chefs may struggle to get the best flavour, as it takes much longer than the expensive cuts that they typically just fry for 2 minutes, but they're usually the type that get their pasta sauces from jars rather than making their own over the course of several hours.

I'm happy with pretty much any cut, and I'll gladly **** off the snobby purists by ordering it medium-well. :p

Oh I'll eat any steak and I'm certainly not a steak snob (I even like the cheap ones at a 'Spoons!) I just never really order rump or would buy one at a butcher/shop.

I've been watching lots of videos recently about dry ageing steaks and it's something I really want to try soon.

This channel has so many mouth watering videos!

Back
Top Bottom