Runner now with access to a gym.

Associate
Hi,

Hoping someone would help me with a training plan. I'm a runner and I don't want that to change as that's what I enjoy and I have just got that part of my training sorted and into a good routine.
I, however, have no core strength, weak glutes and am pretty tight.

I'm looking for something that will work out my upper body, get my arms sorted and strengthen my legs.
Work has just got a gym built with a smiths machine free weights etc ( along with cardio which I won't use that much). Some cable machines are coming in the near future.

So I'm looking at utilising this to supplement my running program and not get in the way of it. A few friends that I have spoken to for help are either to me suggesting to much weight or wanting me to give up on the running. So I thought I would ask on here.

My running program is

Monday: rest
Tueday: speed
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: slow 5 miles
Friday: Tempo like session
Saturday: rest or swim
Sunday: long run

I have no problem doing gym before work and running on an evening I should double up on sessions.

Yesterday. I did 10 mins on bike as a warm up then
3 x 10 squats ( just the smith bar)
3 x 10 chest press ( just the smith bar)
3 x 10 inclined chest press ( just the smith bar).

Thanks

Caporegime
These are all good:
https://www.active.com/running/articles/14-running-specific-strength-training-exercises/slide-15

I do clam shells with a resistance bands. Actually a resistance band is really good and just do leg extensions in all 4 directions.

Squats are good as well, and a leg press.

Fo upper body there si not much you really need to do. I find that swimming is an excellent addition to running to work the upper body, just don't do too much or you add muscle mass you don't want. I see you swim once a week, if you made that twice and then throw in some exercises above you would be set

However, I find trail running and hill repeats are great way to gain core strength. Since I switched to trail ultras I ahven't had the need to do any strength training, sO I also suggest adding that to your running. You could replace your speed day with a hill repeats every second week.

Back
Top Bottom