Running a freesync screen with a Nvidia card. WORKS!

Associate
I recently caved in waiting for Vega and bought a GTX 1080 which i was reluctant to do as i have a 27 inch 144hz AOC screen thats Freesync, i was thinking i might have to shell out a fortune on a gsync screen. Well 2 days after i got it (sat) i get the reserve your Vega now email from AMD (mon) but im not raging the 1080 works perfectly on a freesync screen even when im getting nowhere near 144fps like in PUBG.

Im starting to think that nVidia secretly have Freesync technology in Nvidia cards but just dont tell anyone.
it works exactly the same as my R9 290 that it replaced.

I just thought id post to tell anyone in the same situation as me that freesync and Nvidia work perfectly. Ive not even looked at wether vsync across all settings is on or changed any settings to get it right it just felt great out of the box.

It *works*, yes. Like any normal screen. However, freesync isn't enabled if you have a nvidia card.

Personally I'd prefer it if nvidia did support freesync, but as it stands, it's unlikely to happen.

Im starting to think that nVidia secretly have Freesync technology in Nvidia cards but just dont tell anyone.
G-Sync was built from same variable refresh rate feature of embedded DP (why it first came to DisplayPort) as what's now known as Adaptive-Sync of standard DisplayPort or FreeSync in AMD language.

It's very good bet that Nvidia could make it work by flipping some bits in drivers or at least by writing some new code...
But right now they don't support AdaptiveSync/FreeSync and likely aren't even planning it!
Because as anti-competition/anti-consumer company they want to make you pay G-Sync tax to them (extra doesn't go to monitor maker) from G-sync monitor and also lock user more tightly to their products through that proprietary feature.

FreeSync won't be working - if you have FastSync enabled and holding a decent framerate (which the 1080 over the 290 will help with) then then it will appear very similar in effect to the 290 + FreeSync until the framerate starts dropping then you will notice a definite difference to FreeSync under the same situation.

1 freesync is opensource so anyone including Nvidia could use it and,
2 Nvidia do have many adaptive sync things built into the drivers and its apparent they are compatible with a freesync screen and the refresh rate does adapt dynamically on a 1080
So thanks for all your contradictory and none helpful replies most of you are flat WRONG. read https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync <<<

Esats reply is reasonable and helpful the rest of you should be ashamed.. step away from the forum go hide back under a bridge..

after reading up on what Esat says all Nvidia cards for along time ( since 750TI) have had adaptive sync aswell as Gsync and a few other syncs aswell..

Makes you wonder what Gsync is for besides doubling the cost of a monitor if a freesync screen works in almost the same way.

With 144hz and a 1080 I don't notice the difference versus when I had freesync working on my amd card. As it stands there are no decent gsync upgrades currently.

You have linked to a page about Adaptive v-sync, which is not adaptive sync.

They look similar in name, but adaptive v-sync is just a type of v-sync. Adaptive sync is a display port specification which Nvidia does not use /leverage in the same way as AMD, making Freesync and G-sync incompatible with each other (so far as I know).

But your saying that somethings true, which we all know to be false and you are providing no evidence to back up your point lol.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync the nvidia website saying it has adaptive vsync which does the same as freesync and works on freesync screen isnt evidence? WOW..

you "ALL" think what you like . I HAVE a 1080 and A freesync screen that can display the mode its in in real time, and i can see it adapting the refresh rate live when i play on the 1080 like i could on the R9 290's..
your a keyboard warrior with neither of those things.. but you keep digging, ill grab the pop corn.

it even says exactly whats its doing in the driver options..

Nvidia card have several differnet methods of doing syncronisation including BUT NOT LIMITED TO G-sync and the other ones work on adaptive screen that are none gsync.

i have it on Adaptive normally im just testing what fast is like today. and half rate adaptive in PUBG cos its super strenous.

Last edited:
But none of those settings in your screenshot do what freesync or gsync do?

Your direct quote of "Adaptive - Limits the GPU Render rate similar to VSYNC On, however if render rate drops below the refresh rate will allow tearing" is not how gsync or freesync behave. That adaptive Vsync simply means when your gaming is making 144fps (matching your 144hz monitors refresh rate) vsync turns on so that each frame is matched to each refresh of the screen. When your "render rate drops below the refresh rate" (ie when you make less than 144fps) the setting will "allow tearing" meaning that vsync turns off.

Gsync / Freesync dont behave like that, they allow the monitor to dynamically adjust it's refresh rate to exactly match the frame rate within a certain range. On gysnc this tends to be about 34-144fps where as with freesync it tends to be more like 48-144 depending on the screen.

I think you have even misread the article you have linked to from nvidia as that entire article is about "Adaptive Vsync" not "Adaptive Sync". Although there is only one letter of difference they are two different technologies. Even the first line of your link says "At high framerates, vsync is enabled to elimanate tearing. At low frame rates it's disabled to minimise stuttering"

Perhaps whilst your eating your popcorn and thinking about how we are all "keyboard warriors" you should have another read of your own links and do a bit more reasearch into exactly what you are saying. Then perhaps when you discover you are in the wrong you can come back and offer an apology?

Freesync is the name of AMD's implementation utilising the adaptive sync.
Adaptive Vsync is different, it's a software solution to enable/disable Vsync on the fly = Adapting to the frame rate.

Adaptive sync is the monitor running adaptive refresh rates, which is used via freesync.

1 freesync is opensource so anyone including Nvidia could use it and,
2 Nvidia do have many adaptive sync things built into the drivers and its apparent they are compatible with a freesync screen and the refresh rate does adapt dynamically on a 1080
So thanks for all your contradictory and none helpful replies most of you are flat WRONG. read https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync <<<

Esats reply is reasonable and helpful the rest of you should be ashamed.. step away from the forum go hide back under a bridge..

after reading up on what Esat says all Nvidia cards for along time ( since 750TI) have had adaptive sync aswell as Gsync and a few other syncs aswell..

Makes you wonder what Gsync is for besides doubling the cost of a monitor if a freesync screen works in almost the same way.

u mad bro?

I love amateurs who are just learning about PC technology who think they know things It's hilarious. You act like you're 15.
Quick! Move out of your parents house and win the lottery and start your own business! Quick! While you still know everything about everything! Hurry!

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this is gonna turn into another EPIC THREAD

Hopefully OP will soon acknowledge that Adaptive V-Sync is different to Adaptive Sync.

Adaptive V-Sync has been around since 2012. Here is a classic Linus video about it from when he actually made good useful content.

I have a feeling that this is gonna turn into another EPIC THREAD

Hopefully OP will soon acknowledge that Adaptive V-Sync is different to Adaptive Sync.

Adaptive V-Sync has been around since 2012. Here is a classic Linus video about it from when he actually made good useful content.

I know what you mean. One of his recent videos was a $15 ITX case and he sawed a piece out of it so he could mount a huge air cooler. Apparently that's informative content. What's funny is he's shooting on top end RED cameras now and he posts garbage... I don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom