• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Running an RTX3070 at Pcie x8

Associate
So I got a bit over excited and ordered a second 1 TB M.2 Nvme today, only to remember afterwards that when my second M.2 slot is occupied the Pcie x16 slot is reduced to x8. :rolleyes:

I have already run Timespy benchmarks for my current setup at X16 so rather than cancelling the order, I'm thinking of installing it to see what happens. Does anyone know if an RTX3070 would actually be throttled at x8, and would aTimespy benchmark be a realistic way of testing this to establish what impact if any it has on the performance of the graphics card.

Thank you. Funnily enough I found the same article after posting here. I think I'll just install it and see. I would imagine a Timespy benchmark would be good enough to establish if there was any significant throttling going on.

I strongly suspect that I won't see any difference.

A follow up post for info in case anyone else is in the same position and wondering.

I picked up the second NVME this afternoon and tested it and concluded that reducing my RTX 3070 from Pcie 3.0 x16 to x8 makes no difference.

I tested with Timespy and MSI Kombustor with the card at stock settings and with an overclock. With PCIE at x8 the Timespy graphics score was 0.3% lower but with MSI Kombustor it was actually a fraction of a percent higher. Obviously I would have to do a number of tests rather than a simple before and after to establish a proper average but for my purposes I'm happy that my RTX 3070 is not being throttled by the PCIE speed even with an overclock.

For context my 3070 Timespy scores are slightly better than the average RTX2080ti scores when comparing the same CPU and ram.

My setup is an Asus B450-e Gaming, 16gb Ram, Ryzen 5 3600, 2x WD SN750 NVME Storage and Palit RTX 3070 Gaming.

Happy days.....

Almost 2 years later from your last post, I find myself in your exact situation. Do you have any additional findings? I read one response where performance did not drop noticeably, but they experienced graphics stuttering in some games.

I did the test once
I used both nvme slots and the 3070 graphics card worked in pcie3.0 x8 mode.
It made a very slight difference to when I was using x16, about 3%
I will try to upload its pictures

Back
Top Bottom