1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RWGmobile - Free monthly usage for light users.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Ice Tea, 20 Jul 2021.

1. Ice Tea

Mobster

Posted from another thread as i'm sure other light users will be interested in Sho's findings when he receives the free sim...

2. Sho

Mobster

Thanks. Will update once I receive sim card through the post.
    Once it's all up and running and things are running smooth Mrs has said she wants the £1 bundle offer. That's 75mins and 500mb data. (She still uses a house phone for all her binge talking :cry:)

3. Armageus

Don

Be interested to see if this is any good - have two kids who could do with having phones, but don't really want to spend much per/month on

4. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Is it Wales only??

5. Dazstoke

Gangster

Says Wales and UK on their website.
    It's on the EE network

6. kakarott

Hitman

I can see data finishing easily by kids if not on WiFi.

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

Unless you set some pretty strict limits/WiFi only gonna be £20+ into data charges, etc. pretty quickly once a few apps want to update or a few videos, etc. :s

8. Sho

Mobster

Just an update sim card came through the post today. Will try to get it up and running at some point tomorrow evening.

9. Ice Tea

Mobster

Was there much in the way of paperwork or any sim adapters included?

10. Sho

Mobster

Sorry with late reply.

Got the sim up and running. Sim adapters were included. Just a welcome letter with intructions on how to activate sim and which bundle to go for. And how to top up.
    You can either ring up and send email to activate. I sent email.

Uses the EE Network. And so far no issues. It's ideal for young kids to use as you are not over spending.

11. Ice Tea

Mobster

@Sho

Thanks for the update , it it easy enough to see the free time and data left?

12. Ice Tea

Mobster

How are you getting on with it , it it easy enough to see the free time and data left?

13. throwaway4372

Gangster

Been on PAYG as a light user for ages, costs about £1/month. Even a £5 contract is a complete rip-off for a light user.

14. Sho

Mobster

Sorry with late reply. My sond and daughter use the sims and so far it's been good. I got the free sim which gives 50mins and 250mb internet allowence. They have wifi access everywhere:cry:
    RWG do have an app but i've not set it up. As i've sat down with them and explained everything regarding mins/texts etc.
    On the their phones, i have set reminder when they're reaching their alowence. They hardly make phone calls as everything is through Whatsapp/Telegram social media apps etc.

So far so good. no network issues. Everytime i have called them i've had no issues.

15. Ice Tea

Mobster

16. James_N

Sgarrista

I think i'm going to give this a go. I'm a light user, and even the £5 smarty plan, i get nowhere near using 4gb data. I realise the free plan is only 250mg but as long as i set most things to sync on wifi only, i don't see it as a problem. Can't complain for free! Most of my messaging and communication is done via whatsapp anyway.

17. James_N

Sgarrista

How long did peoples sim cards take to arrive? I ordered mine on the 16th - same day as the post above but nothing has turned up yet?!

18. Sho

Mobster

Almost 2 weeks for me.

19. James_N

Sgarrista

Thanks :) Sim has now arrived, so just need to get my number ported over.

20. Big Elf

Gangster

Mine took about 10 days to arrive. I'm pleased so far. I'm using the SIM in my backup phone but with a number I've had for many years and was used with Three Mobile.

Three Mobile tried to screw me by supplying what turned out to be a STAC when I requested a PAC which would have meant losing my number with little or no chance of recovering it. RWGMobile immediately emailed me back to tell me this which was a big plus to them. They've been very quick to respond to emails and are quite chatty. Three claimed it was an error but has become typical of their crap service.

I was promised the number would be transferred and activated by today and it was as was the voicemail service. However the voicemail had one big negative in that when I tested it it put an irremovable notification in the notification area. Even though I went into the voicemail settings and changed the notification type to SMS the notification persisted even after reboots. I eventually had to clear data and cache from the 'call settings' app.

Signal and call quality seems better than Three which is interesting as I think they use the same masts but I've got used to a (roughly) monthly email from Three telling me there's a network problem which will soon be fixed. Usually this means download speeds drop to 1Mbps or less and upload speeds are too low to be recorded and it can take up to a couple of weeks to notice a difference.

Unfortunately although the RWGMobile free and £1 deal are great their charges for more calls and data allowance are not competitive.