• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rx 6800xt red devil loud fans

Associate
I was told this card was dead silent, but for me its been super loud whenever I run a somewhat demanding game. I should preface that I've installed the latest drivers (21.4.1), and set my own custom fan curve to be as quiet as possible, whilst still leaving the fans at effective speeds. I can't lower the fan speed below 30% either. The card is switched to the silent BIOS and temps hardly go above 60c, but still the fans ramp up to 1700RPM or above. I can only stop this by switching to the 'quiet or 'balanced' presets in Wattman.

I can live with that, temps go up to about 70c, no problem. But now I can't tune the card how I please without having to suffer a manual fan curve locked at a stupidly high noise level. Is this normal? Or is something up with my GPU?

Caporegime
I was told this card was dead silent, but for me its been super loud whenever I run a somewhat demanding game. I should preface that I've installed the latest drivers (21.4.1), and set my own custom fan curve to be as quiet as possible, whilst still leaving the fans at effective speeds. I can't lower the fan speed below 30% either. The card is switched to the silent BIOS and temps hardly go above 60c, but still the fans ramp up to 1700RPM or above. I can only stop this by switching to the 'quiet or 'balanced' presets in Wattman.

I can live with that, temps go up to about 70c, no problem. But now I can't tune the card how I please without having to suffer a manual fan curve locked at a stupidly high noise level. Is this normal? Or is something up with my GPU?
Not familiar with the Red Devil, but at 30% are the fans really that loud? A video recording would help.

Paging @Illuminist as I think he uses the 6900 XT Red Devil so may be able to provide more insight.

Associate
One thing I learned is that many reviewers description of "silent" is anything but...

I had read that the FE 30 series cars where "silent" and "so much quieter than previous versions", but I found both the 3080 and 3090 anything but quiet stock.

With an undervolted its better...but still not even close to "silent".

My old MSI GTX970 Gaming... THAT was silent.

I am not familiar with AMD cards, but do you not hit the gaming performance you would like when using "quiet" or "balanced" modes? (You said you still wanted to tweak?)
To me...silence is golden. So for everyday settings Id rather give up some performance for quieter operation.
Then just to bench or mess around seeing what the card can do would I take the higher noise.

Associate

I like this site for the stats on temps/fans
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6800-xt-gaming-x-trio/33.html
check out the red devil - they say the fans are supposed to be in the 1000-1250 range and one of the quietest 6800xts you have. I think something is up. Not that its the same card but I had a red devil 5700xt and the fans were dead quiet.

Soldato

On the default Oc bios at stock settings my 6900xt is very very quiet, even in the most demanding games. The fan can be set below 30% if you disable fan stop in the UI under the advanced fan options.
If you over clock you will have to under volt from 1175 to 1100 or there abouts but it will not be quiet, with an overclock, but still nothing like other cards I've used, but you definitely will hear it when OCd

Soldato
Keep in mind that most reviewers test cards on an open test bench. In a closed case you're likely to see different results, especially if your airflow isn't so great. The case you're using and your fan setup can make a large difference to GPU temperatures, and so fan noise.

Associate
One thing I learned is that many reviewers description of "silent" is anything but...

I had read that the FE 30 series cars where "silent" and "so much quieter than previous versions", but I found both the 3080 and 3090 anything but quiet stock.

That case in your sig isn't helping. The 3090FE is very, very quiet but only if you have decent case airflow. I dicked about with mine for a long time before giving up and taking the front off my case. Fans used to hit 1700rpm or more, now about 1200. Temps are better too.

Associate
That case in your sig isn't helping. The 3090FE is very, very quiet but only if you have decent case airflow. I dicked about with mine for a long time before giving up and taking the front off my case. Fans used to hit 1700rpm or more, now about 1200. Temps are better too.
Yea I know :(
The Meshify 2 Compact came out a month after I got this one. I am still tempted to just eat the cost and buy the Meshify instead.

Associate
OP
Not familiar with the Red Devil, but at 30% are the fans really that loud? A video recording would help.

Paging @Illuminist as I think he uses the 6900 XT Red Devil so may be able to provide more insight.

30% is fine, but as soon as the card hits 50c its like the fans jump to 1500-1700rpm when they don't need to.

Associate
OP
I like this site for the stats on temps/fans
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6800-xt-gaming-x-trio/33.html
check out the red devil - they say the fans are supposed to be in the 1000-1250 range and one of the quietest 6800xts you have. I think something is up. Not that its the same card but I had a red devil 5700xt and the fans were dead quiet.

I thought it seemed off. My fans stay within 1000 to 1200rpm when I set the balanced or quiet presets, but become loud when I apply a manual fan curve.

Associate
OP
I am not familiar with AMD cards, but do you not hit the gaming performance you would like when using "quiet" or "balanced" modes? (You said you still wanted to tweak?)

Only 'quiet' causes the card to very slightly downclock, but its hardly noticeable. 'Balanced' makes the fans run a little faster but maintains default frequencies. But yeah it keeps my card at a nice and quiet noise level, so I'll probably just stick with it.

Caporegime
30% is fine, but as soon as the card hits 50c its like the fans jump to 1500-1700rpm when they don't need to.
Have you tried a custom fan profile? See my screenshots below.

For 24/7 and complete silence i run a under-volt and a low fan speed of only 25% and it is whisper quiet.

Stock voltage is 1.175 and I run at 0.950v ish.

JHAP1LL.png

QHlPWFt.jpg

Associate
OP
Have you tried a custom fan profile? See my screenshots below.

For 24/7 and complete silence i run a under-volt and a low fan speed of only 25% and it is whisper quiet.

Stock voltage is 1.175 and I run at 0.950v ish.

JHAP1LL.png

QHlPWFt.jpg

Its when I try to set a custom profile that the fans start to go a bit nuts. Although, looking at your profile, I might be setting the fan speed too high maybe? I let my max fan speed go up to 60%. Maybe I could try setting it a lot lower and that might help

Caporegime
Its when I try to set a custom profile that the fans start to go a bit nuts. Although, looking at your profile, I might be setting the fan speed too high maybe? I let my max fan speed go up to 60%. Maybe I could try setting it a lot lower and that might help
That would definitely help.

Get an under-volt going at stock clocks. Start reducing voltage in 0.025v increments, you should be able to get it down to 1.100v-1.125v fairly easily and that will allow you to run a nice low fan speed of 30% tops.

Soldato
I'd highly recommend using MSI Afterburner to set your custom fan curve instead of AMD's software. It offers a lot more control and in my experience works a lot better.

Associate
OP
Hi everyone,

I think I've managed to solve things. I honestly think I just set my fan speeds too high to begin with. I've set a much less aggressive fan curve than before;

P1: 30% 30c
P2: 33% 50c
P3: 37% 65c
P4: 40% 80c
P5: 45% 90c

This keeps my card at a steady 67c in RDR2 at 1440p High settings, with clocks still boosting to max. And the noise level is much more reasonable. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom