• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX480 GPU Not being recognised by mobo/Win10

Associate
So, with either a HDMI or DP cable plugged into the GPU, z77 MPower throws up a B2 error and hangs indefinitely. I get zero response from the display.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (was originally overclocked to 4.5GHz, but brought back down to 3.3GHz with BIOS flash - [more info below])
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB OC
RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung Green DDR3
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 550 W
MOBO: MSI z77 MPower
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Apologies in advance if a similar thread exists. I’ve spent hours and hours on this now and don’t have any ideas left.

What I’ve tried/things I know:

• BIOS updated to latest version using MSI Live UPDATE 6 (more than once)
  • Clean windows install (more than once)
  • Most recent chipset drivers installed
  • I get GPU LEDs but no fans
  • Seated and reseated the GPU in all three PCI slots
  • Installed the GPU in a friend's machine (works fine). I also Installed a friend's fully functional GPU into my machine, same B2 error, so I’ve pretty much ruled the RX 480 as the cause.
  • ‘PEG' enabled as primary display output in BIOS
  • Mobo’s on board display adapter works perfectly
  • Have tried disabling on-board display adapter in case that was interfering — still no joy
  • CMOS has been reset several times
  • When using the on-board adapter, the neither the BIOS nor Windows acknowledge the card’s presence

I am seriously stuck on this. Short of paying out for a new mobo/CPU, I really don’t know what else to do. What am I missing?

Please, please help. I don't even know what's real anymore...

Last edited:
Soldato
Your 480 in mates PC- fine. So you know 480 is ok
You tried mates GPU in yours, doesn't work. So rules out the 480, and you know a working GPU works but not in yours.
Onboard GPU works, so the motherboard isn't a brick.

I'd say PCI-E connector is damaged. Have you tried using the second PCI-E slot?

Soldato
hmmm. PSU upto job of powering it?
Got another make/model GPU? Maybe a basic GPU? Or older gen? Maybe the PCI-E bus power requirements on the 480 (exceeds PCI-E spec) is causing a problem.

Soldato
Definitely could be PSU as said above, what cables does the 480 take, 2 x 6pin, if so have you tried different cables. What about a mobo BIOS update?

If all else fails you could try reflowing the mobo, in other words, bake in the oven and see if that fixes it. That's extreme though and only really if you were about to actually bin the mobo.

Soldato
"If all else fails you could try reflowing the mobo, in other words, bake in the oven and see if that fixes it. Th"

WHAT?

Since the 480 doesn't work on any PCI-E connectors, that rules out the primary PCI-E is damaged. And another GPU works, so I'd say cause could be 480 is too demanding on PCI-E bus. Or PSU cannot provide the juice.

I'd try a Nvidia 1060 or 1070. If that works, then you know the PSU is ok, and since Nvidia match the PCI-E bus power requirements, then that points it to the 480 exceeding PCI-E slot spec (as 480 is known to exceed PCI-E slot spec) so your motherboard cannot provide the juice on the PCI-E slot. So even if your PSU is 1000W and 100% working, and 480 doesn't work then 100% motherboard cannot provide power.

Soldato
"If all else fails you could try reflowing the mobo, in other words, bake in the oven and see if that fixes it. Th"

WHAT?

Since the 480 doesn't work on any PCI-E connectors, that rules out the primary PCI-E is damaged. And another GPU works, so I'd say cause could be 480 is too demanding on PCI-E bus. Or PSU cannot provide the juice.

I'd try a Nvidia 1060 or 1070. If that works, then you know the PSU is ok, and since Nvidia match the PCI-E bus power requirements, then that points it to the 480 exceeding PCI-E slot spec (as 480 is known to exceed PCI-E slot spec) so your motherboard cannot provide the juice on the PCI-E slot. So even if your PSU is 1000W and 100% working, and 480 doesn't work then 100% motherboard cannot provide power.

You've never heard of reflowing?

Did it once and brought a dead mobo back to life, didn't last very long though, it heats the board up just enough to melt the solder which fixes any hairline cracks.

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

Associate
OP
Definitely could be PSU as said above, what cables does the 480 take, 2 x 6pin, if so have you tried different cables. What about a mobo BIOS update?

If all else fails you could try reflowing the mobo, in other words, bake in the oven and see if that fixes it. That's extreme though and only really if you were about to actually bin the mobo.

It works. It was a cable...

Well, I went from zero knowledge about builds to some knowledge as a result, so I'll take it.

Thanks for taking then time to help me out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom