• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2600 upgrade

Associate
Hey,

Would it be worth upgrading my Ryzen 2600 to a 5600x ? I'm mainly playing warzone and will be playing the new battlefield when it comes out, I bought a 144hz 1440p monitor last year and struggle to hit the higher frame rates and read it could be because i'm cpu bound ?

My current rig:
Ryzen 2600, manually clocked at 4.0 on all core's
3060ti
Msi Tomahawk motherboard
16gb 3000hz Team Group

Don
You'd need to monitor both CPU and GPU load in game using one of the in game overlays (something like Rivatuner Statistics Server)

If GPU load isn't at 100% but several CPU cores (* number depends on how threaded the game is) are frequently at 100% then you are CPU limited.

I would imagine however, that at 1440P, you will more likely be limited by your GPU.

As a very "rough" guideline, you can look at this site:
https://pc-builds.com/cyri/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600/NVIDIA_GeForce_RTX_3070/0Qj175/?gameList=(3d)

which would indicate even with a 3070, at 1440P on anything other than "low" graphics settings, the GPU is the limitation

Soldato
Warzone is pretty hard on CPU/RAM so if you are playing at low settings I could definitely see it being held back by the 2600 and the mem but as mentioned should run some overlay while playing to check GPU usage.

Soldato
Check your CPU and GPU usage while in game. You'll probably find that your CPU is maxed out at 100% and the GPU may be underutilised at around 65%. Check and find out. These numbers will help you see what's happening and whether an upgrade will be worth it.

You're definately CPU bottlenecked but you'll learn by checking for yourself and understanding it.

Don
Check your CPU and GPU usage while in game. You'll probably find that your CPU is maxed out at 100% and the GPU may be underutilised at around 65%.

CPU may be maxed out, but not forced to be at 100%, all depends how many threads are used. If a number of cores are pinned at maximum usage though, then a CPU upgrade to higher clock speed/ better IPC would benefit

Associate
OP
Yeah, ive been lowering the settings to try and get closer to 144, its running around 90. Will have a play with the settings

Soldato
My advise if you do upgrade. Get a 5800x. Don't be buying a 6 core 12 thread cpu in late summer 2021. If you value long term usage anyway.

Associate
I would hang in there just a few months as its possible the new CPU's with VCache are coming for this socket if they do then this will give an even further uplift and likely lower prices on the 5000 series

Back
Top Bottom