Ryzen 3000 Infinity Fabric Overclocking, and Voltages

Associate
Hello people, I didn't see a different threat for this specifically so I thought I'd create one. It will also help gather a lot of information about this since it does seem to be the best way to get performance out of these chips.

I currently have my PC running have 16GB of B Die at 3733Mhz 16 16 16 32, and IF on 1:1. The SOC Voltage its set to 1.15v and VDDG at 1.11v since I read they have to be at 40mv away ideally. The PC works perfectly fine, passed Mem Test in a 1hr 30min run, and everything runs smooth. Destiny 2 freezes every now and then but I suspect it has to do with the "workaround patch".

Soldato
Interesting watch if you can make it through without the insanely gratuitous use of the words "basically" and "like" grating too much.

Part One

Part Two

Associate
OP
Ive seen both videos, you have to push IF to 1900Mhz to get the best performance, but it looks like he hasn't tested voltages yet. In one of the previous comments he mentioned 1.17 SOC and 1.15 VDDG but has not tested it they are stable or "safe" for every day use. Matter of fact all the stabilities show "eh" lol I think he even mentions he was able to boot and that's it, didn't test anything else besides Aida

Soldato
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread but I don't think any amount of voltage will get me beyond 1800MHz FCLK.

But I'm happy enough as it is. Pushing for more whether that's more raw speed or faster timings I doubt will win me much in terms of FPS in gaming titles.

An FCLK of 1800MHz and a ram frequency of 3600MHz CL16 is plenty.

Associate
OP
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread but I don't think any amount of voltage will get me beyond 1800MHz FCLK.

But I'm happy enough as it is. Pushing for more whether that's more raw speed or faster timings I doubt will win me much in terms of FPS in gaming titles.

An FCLK of 1800MHz and a ram frequency of 3600MHz CL16 is plenty.
Well I had some weird results yesterday to be honest. I tried:

3733Mhz with FCLK 1866Mhz, C20 benchmarks went UP, Aida64 was giving me 64.3ns latency, and ran 2hrs Mem Test without any issues.
3800Mhz with FLCK 1900Mhz, C20 benchmark went DOWN, Aida64 clocked 63.5 latency, perfectly stable in Mem Test for 1hr but closed it and reverted to 3733Mhz since the C20 results were annoying me.

Soldato
Well I had some weird results yesterday to be honest. I tried:

3733Mhz with FCLK 1866Mhz, C20 benchmarks went UP, Aida64 was giving me 64.3ns latency, and ran 2hrs Mem Test without any issues.
3800Mhz with FLCK 1900Mhz, C20 benchmark went DOWN, Aida64 clocked 63.5 latency, perfectly stable in Mem Test for 1hr but closed it and reverted to 3733Mhz since the C20 results were annoying me.

I suspect you will eventually revert to a slower FCLK for stability. Your games shouldn't freeze. You need to try other titles other than Destiny to see what happens over time. But like I say freezing (I know from experience) is instability.

I think any thing over 1800MHz FCLK is thrashing the IF and pushing it closer and closer to it's limits.

This is why AMD's own presentations showed 3600MHz as the sweet spot with the 3733MHz ram as the peak frequency. I suspect not a lot of 3000 series CPU's can achieve this 1:1 speed due to FCLK limitations.

I get 70ns latency apparently with my current configuration.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I suspect you will eventually revert to a slower FCLK for stability. Your games shouldn't freeze. You need to try other titles other than Destiny to see what happens over time. But like I say freezing (I know from experience) is instability.
Yeah I am sure that the problem was the RAM voltage though, because it was "low" compared to how I have it now.

It is confusing because all my scores at 1900FCLK go up during Aida64 RAM benchmark, but go down in C20. I think I need to find a new reliable benchmark to compare.

Soldato
Not sure if this applies to all boards, but my MSI gives me a warning stating the pci-e 4 will be disabled if soc voltage is set above 1.100v, you still want the link between your CPU and chipset to be PCI-e 4 to get the most bandwidth, even if your using PCI-e 3 devices.

Easiest way to see if you've been limited is run a hard drive benchmark, then go to the bios and set your soc to 1.1v max and the chipset link to pci-e 4 and run the benchmark again, if the results are the same your fine, otherwise you have limited your link between the CPU and chipset to pci-e 3 creating a bottleneck.

Associate
OP
Not sure if this applies to all boards, but my MSI gives me a warning stating the pci-e 4 will be disabled if soc voltage is set above 1.100v, you still want the link between your CPU and chipset to be PCI-e 4 to get the most bandwidth, even if your using PCI-e 3 devices.

Easiest way to see if you've been limited is run a hard drive benchmark, then go to the bios and set your soc to 1.1v max and the chipset link to pci-e 4 and run the benchmark again, if the results are the same your fine, otherwise you have limited your link between the CPU and chipset to pci-e 3 creating a bottleneck.
Honestly I have not seen that warning before. Matter of fact on early BIOS my X570 Taichi had SOC at 1.19 on Auto

Soldato
Honestly I have not seen that warning before. Matter of fact on early BIOS my X570 Taichi had SOC at 1.19 on Auto

I know the Asus boards were known for stupidly overvolting things like soc and ram out of the box, maybe asrock suffered the same problem, mine ran at 0.950v out of the box.

My ram is rated 3600mhz cl18 1.35v, I can run all 4 sticks at 3800mhz, cl18 1.4v with soc at 1.100v, and IF at 1900mhz all day long, memtested overnight, however, as I said in another thread, all that extra voltage causes extra heat, and for basically no noticeable performance increase, I think my cinebench score went up like 10 points, so I dialed it back down to 3600mhz cl18, IF to 1800mhz, even tightening the timings wasn't worth it, it wouldn't post at cl16, best I could do was cl17, and like I said, it really wasn't worth it.

I'll see if I can catch a picture of the warning tomorrow when I get home.

Associate
OP
I know the Asus boards were known for stupidly overvolting things like soc and ram out of the box, maybe asrock suffered the same problem, mine ran at 0.950v out of the box.

My ram is rated 3600mhz cl18 1.35v, I can run all 4 sticks at 3800mhz, cl18 1.4v with soc at 1.100v, and IF at 1900mhz all day long, memtested overnight, however, as I said in another thread, all that extra voltage causes extra heat, and for basically no noticeable performance increase, I think my cinebench score went up like 10 points, so I dialed it back down to 3600mhz cl18, IF to 1800mhz, even tightening the timings wasn't worth it, it wouldn't post at cl16, best I could do was cl17, and like I said, it really wasn't worth it.

I'll see if I can catch a picture of the warning tomorrow when I get home.
On the latest BIOS version it did go down to like 1.000v but I now increased it to 1.125 and let it there. Left mine at 3733Mhz C14 for now with 1866Mhz FCLK for now.

Soldato
I suspect you will eventually revert to a slower FCLK for stability.......

I think any thing over 1800MHz FCLK is thrashing the IF and pushing it closer and closer to it's limits.

This is why AMD's own presentations showed 3600MHz as the sweet spot with the 3733MHz ram as the peak frequency. I suspect not a lot of 3000 series CPU's can achieve this 1:1 speed due to FCLK limitations.
This matches my experience anything over 3600/1800 on my Samsung B-Die (AGESA 1002) I get inconsistent Cinebench scores but at 3600/1800 these were spot on each run which indicates to me that the IF was getting flaky running above 1800 and when I pushed the IF to 1900 windows threw a fit.

Soldato
This matches my experience anything over 3600/1800 on my Samsung B-Die (AGESA 1002) I get inconsistent Cinebench scores but at 3600/1800 these were spot on each run which indicates to me that the IF was getting flaky running above 1800 and when I pushed the IF to 1900 windows threw a fit.

I see you're on the same AGESA version as me. Some people tell me that it could be this version that is limiting the IF at 1800MHz. I'm waiting impatiently on Asus to release a new BIOS for my board.

Associate
Hey,
I am currently struggeling to get my Ram kit running at its rated speeds - 3600 16-16-16-36
Running a Ryzen 3700X on a x570 Taichi
16Gb G.Skill Samsung B-Die Memory

Currently 3400Mhz Ram Mhz IF 1700Mhz
1.35V DRam
1.1V SoC
0.9504V cldo VDDG

Windows boots, I can even game, but sometimes Destiny2 freezes and then crashes. Same happened with Cinebench20 at 1800 IF, C20 did not crash since I'm on 1700Mhz

So I suspect the infinity fabric, because Ram tests run withotr error for hours.

Do you have any recommendations to stablize my Setup?
Or to test if it's really the Infinity Fabirc or something else.

But my biggest question would be, is EVERY Ryzen 3000 CPU supposed to hit 1800Mhz IF or is this already sirious OC ? AMDs talk about the "sweetspot" at 3600Mhz Ram made it sould like a plug&play kinda thing.
Or in other words: Is my CPU broken because I can't reach 1800Mhz IF easily?

Soldato
Hey,
I am currently struggeling to get my Ram kit running at its rated speeds - 3600 16-16-16-36
Running a Ryzen 3700X on a x570 Taichi
16Gb G.Skill Samsung B-Die Memory

Currently 3400Mhz Ram Mhz IF 1700Mhz
1.35V DRam
1.1V SoC
0.9504V cldo VDDG

Windows boots, I can even game, but sometimes Destiny2 freezes and then crashes. Same happened with Cinebench20 at 1800 IF, C20 did not crash since I'm on 1700Mhz

So I suspect the infinity fabric, because Ram tests run withotr error for hours.

Do you have any recommendations to stablize my Setup?
Or to test if it's really the Infinity Fabirc or something else.

But my biggest question would be, is EVERY Ryzen 3000 CPU supposed to hit 1800Mhz IF or is this already sirious OC ? AMDs talk about the "sweetspot" at 3600Mhz Ram made it sould like a plug&play kinda thing.
Or in other words: Is my CPU broken because I can't reach 1800Mhz IF easily?

First find out your max IF clock then work on matching ram (2x) IF.

The way to go about it is set ram to defaults, set IF to max which is 1900MHz and see if Windows happy. If not keep reducing the speed until you think windows is happy (mine was 1800MHz).

The instability your seeing is not an unstable IF, but because your dram volts are too low imo.

When you think you know what the max FCLK is then set your ram 2x FCLK.

As for running your ram at 3600MHz CL16. Leave all volts auto but set dram voltage to 1.4v. That should get you stable at 3600MHz if your ram is anything like mine.

Associate
First find out your max IF clock then work on matching ram (2x) IF.

The way to go about it is set ram to defaults, set IF to max which is 1900MHz and see if Windows happy. If not keep reducing the speed until you think windows is happy (mine was 1800MHz).

The instability your seeing is not an unstable IF, but because your dram volts are too low imo.

When you think you know what the max FCLK is then set your ram 2x FCLK.

As for running your ram at 3600MHz CL16. Leave all volts auto but set dram voltage to 1.4v. That should get you stable at 3600MHz if your ram is anything like mine.

Thanks for the hint!
I will try that.

For the process, clear CMOS as a fresh start -> set FCLK to 1900, everything else on auto/default and then lower till stable in Windows.
Should I only test if Windows is stable or should I do some heavy load testing too (aida64/prime95/...)?

Assuming it is my Ram that causes the crashes, shouldn't I see errors in the dedicated Ram tests like Karhu Ram Test?
Because these tests run without errors for me, it's in Destiny, C20, AIDA64 FPU or the CPU Test of TimeSpy that I see the crashes.

Soldato
Thanks for the hint!
I will try that.

For the process, clear CMOS as a fresh start -> set FCLK to 1900, everything else on auto/default and then lower till stable in Windows.
Should I only test if Windows is stable or should I do some heavy load testing too (aida64/prime95/...)?

Assuming it is my Ram that causes the crashes, shouldn't I see errors in the dedicated Ram tests like Karhu Ram Test?
Because these tests run without errors for me, it's in Destiny, C20, AIDA64 FPU or the CPU Test of TimeSpy that I see the crashes.

Well only speaking from my experiences with my 3700x. I too was passing 400% HCI but still freezing in real world workloads. So beyond a quick stability test spending hours running this stress tests is a waste of time imo.

Your issue sounds like mine. It was easy for me to know what my max stable FCLK was because anything higher than 1800MHz and I was getting crackling form audio in Windows.

Looking at the volts you posted everything other than dram volts was basically stock settings. So put all your volts on auto but stick the dram v on 1.4v.

16 16 16 16 36 1T @ 3600MHz and you should be good.

You're running the 8 Pack Dark Pro ram right? If so the above will work.

Associate
You're running the 8 Pack Dark Pro ram right? If so the above will work.

I am running G.Skill Trident Z.
F4-3600C16-8GTZR to be exact
It booted at 4200Mhz with 1.4V, so I guess it still should be quite capable Ram.

I didn't know about Team Group when selecting my parts my research led me to G.Skill

But I'll basically try the XMP Profile with 1.4V now and see how it goes!

-- Edit --
Memory at 3600, FCLK 1800
DramV: 1.4V (fixed)
SoC: 1.1V (auto/xmp)
cldo_VDDG: 1.0979V (auto/xmp)
cldo_VDDP: 1.0979V (auto/xmp)

Windows boots - now for some load tests

-- UPDATE --
Ram Test was 0 Errors ofer 1000%
Just did my first run of Cinebench20 and it crashes

-- UPDATE 2 --
Can't get it to run with these settings, even went up to 1.44V DRam