• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Caporegime
I know we have a zen 2 owners thread and other threads, but the fact is there's so many different SKU's that i'm trawling through loads of posts, most of which I have no interest in, just to find posts about the 3900. So I thought why not have a thread specifically for the 3900X, like there is for the i9 9900K.

Happy with mine so far. I haven't overclocked or anything, just letting it do it's own thing, but it's coping admirably with everything I throw at it.

However, still cannot get full 4.6 boost on my board, which is annoying me somewhat. Has anyone managed to get full boost yet, or are we all still waiting for AMD to sort it out?

Caporegime
OP
Actually, this is my sensor page on HW Info. maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a few of my cores are pushing 4.6. If so, thats me happy. Am i reading it right? Looks to me like my first chiplet is a significantly better performer than the second one.

TkJq38el.png.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Well as we speak I loaded up hwinfo to discover that it says engineering sample.. that is not normal? Can you confirm if that's just a bug.
The main problem is I cant seem to get the performance everyone else is getting at stock, highest score in cinebench r20 is 7000 others are getting 7500-7750.
It also all core boosts to 4.1 and single to only 4.35ghz.
I just need some advice as what to set in the bios to have it just run on its own to its best contentment
Can you post a screenie of your HW info sensor page, showing all your cores min, max and average?

Caporegime
OP
Well your cores are definitely boosting. Core 5 is the standout. The others may not be boosting as much, but I’m not sure what can be done other than bios updates, but I’m unsure about the X470 bios situation.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give more info, but to me, it looks like your CPU is running fine.

Don’t worry about the cinebench scores. I’m not hitting 7000 a lot of the time. It’s meaningless numbers in the real world, and those really high scores will have been well overclocked to around 4.3 all core. Synthetic benchmarks are the devils work.

Caporegime
OP
Problem with bos updates for a 370 is how much effort manufacturers will put into them. 370 is two generations old now, and as 8 pack often points out, the newest products will always be the priority for manufacturers.

Caporegime
OP
That's what I meant, my AIO.

Mines hitting 82 as well, but averaging 75-77. I'm using a Corsair H100i AIO cooler and I'm sure it's installed properly. Steedie's hitting high 70's-80's too.

I'm a little suspicious of the 61 result. I can only imagine it hitting that under 100% load if undervolted and cooled with a custom loop. Can't imagine any standard air or AIO cooler keeping it that cool.

Caporegime
OP
Someone on Reddit also said:

I have a 3900x on an Asus C8H with a Corsair H115i AIO. I currently have all cores clocked at 4.25GHz with 1.28v and as soon as I start running Prime95 small FFT my temps jump to the mid/high 90s. Seems odd with such a low voltage and 280mm AIO. I've reapplied MX-4 thermal paste a couple times with no difference. Is Prime95 (v29.8 build 5) not usable with Ryzen 3000 because of the 7nm density and chiplet design?

Realbench and AIDA64 run with the CPU < 82C for an hour.

Well that guy either has a very broken cooler, CPU or both. I've just run P95 small FFT for 10 minutes and didn't get above 74 degrees.

Caporegime
OP
I can't get mine to boost past 4.2ghz all cores, and rarely much above 4.4 single core. I've tried all sorts, PBO, voltage offsets, different memory speeds etc.

Yet it runs 4.4ghz manual OC happy as anything. So I'll be leaving it there still.
Might as well. 3 or 4 cores max will boost over 4.6 anyway. You’re getting better performance with the all core overclock.

Caporegime
OP
HTMvkXL.png

upgraded from a 6700k, so far I'm very happy. Tried Ryzen Master for the first time. Taichi 570, 32gb 2400mhz ram (4*8gb), IF at 1800. 3900x is on stock air cooler and have hit some temperature issues so will be looking to add liquid cooler asap.
You’ve struck gold with that chip mate. Think my multi core max at stock is just over 7200.

Caporegime
OP
Hehe, my chip seems like its getting better with age. One core is over 4.6, but 2 more are as good as at 4.591. Also, never seen every core on chiplet 1 go over 4.5. I'm on an old bios too. Once the bios' are properly sorted out, I might get even more from it.

x1xURNSh.png.jpg

Back
Top Bottom