• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
So which is the best software for monitoring 3900X temps?

Ryzen Master seems to show way lower temps than most others like Core Temp or HWInfo64, and im not gona talk about iCUE software, it usually stays at 20 something Degrees whatever the load lol

Associate

Ryzen Master seems to show way lower temps than most others like Core Temp or HWInfo64, and im not gona talk about iCUE software, it usually stays at 20 something Degrees whatever the load lol

I'd suggest using hwi64 to monitor temps and use RTSS for overlay. With hwi64 you can choose which sensors you want to monitor, so ignore the individual cores and show die average instead. I do a quick run thru regarding the process here.

https://hardforum.com/threads/build...render-monster.1990145/page-4#post-1044457505

Soldato
HWinfo64 over the years has proved to me to be the most reliable, regardless of AMD or Intel monitoring. Also it's updated very regularly, even to the point in AMD's case of when we have an AGESA update.

Soldato
Cheers guys, will stick with HWInfo64, Core Temp seems to give the same results too so will use both of these. I uninstalled Ryzen Master a while back as i prefer to use old skool BIOS settings anyway :)

Soldato

I read that due to the way that Ryzen chips power management works, some HW monitors may actually increase the CPU temps due to the way they poll the processor. Ryzen Master apparently doesn't have this effect.

Associate
Recently joined the AMD 3900x club a few days ago. Built a new system and came from an i7 4770K system I built almost 7 years ago I think. Reusing my old Titan x GPU until next year however. While I may not notice a huge difference in some applications I have certainly noticed a general smoothness in both applications and gaming and its ability to handle multiple applications at the same time. I have not had a chance to really play around with it yet but I have set up HW monitor as I wanted to check temps and cores after the build.

I loaded up hitman 2 last night as I know it used to drag occasionally on the old 4770k on max, game ran well however when I tabbed out I noticed HW monitor claimed that at some point all the cores had boosted to a max of been 6000-6450mhz with a max voltage of 1.5v and a CPU max temp of 83c. Previously when I did a few light applications they boosted to around 4.3-4.6 on all cores which is what I expected.

I assume it must be a bug in HW monitor?? If the cores had boosted to that level I would have thought the heat would have been immense and it shut down.
Looking forward to playing with the settings over the weekend and seeing what the chip can do.

Soldato
i feel like the 3900x is the new 2500k/2600k golden for many years to come

I would agree but I feel that the advancements will continue rolling on, unlike the 2600k where the next 6-7 generations were marginal improvements.

Zen2 > Zen3, if all the rumours are even remotely accurate, will probably be a bigger performance jump than Sandy Bridge to Coffee Lake.

Soldato
I would agree but I feel that the advancements will continue rolling on, unlike the 2600k where the next 6-7 generations were marginal improvements.

Zen2 > Zen3, if all the rumours are even remotely accurate, will probably be a bigger performance jump than Sandy Bridge to Coffee Lake.

true,
Recently joined the AMD 3900x club a few days ago. Built a new system and came from an i7 4770K system I built almost 7 years ago I think. Reusing my old Titan x GPU until next year however. While I may not notice a huge difference in some applications I have certainly noticed a general smoothness in both applications and gaming and its ability to handle multiple applications at the same time. I have not had a chance to really play around with it yet but I have set up HW monitor as I wanted to check temps and cores after the build.

I loaded up hitman 2 last night as I know it used to drag occasionally on the old 4770k on max, game ran well however when I tabbed out I noticed HW monitor claimed that at some point all the cores had boosted to a max of been 6000-6450mhz with a max voltage of 1.5v and a CPU max temp of 83c. Previously when I did a few light applications they boosted to around 4.3-4.6 on all cores which is what I expected.

I assume it must be a bug in HW monitor?? If the cores had boosted to that level I would have thought the heat would have been immense and it shut down.
Looking forward to playing with the settings over the weekend and seeing what the chip can do.

if you dont mind me asking do you have a NVME ?

Soldato
Will try when I get chance and run cinebench to check numbers.

Yes I use a sabrent rocket 1tb gen4 NVMe as o/s and common programs and then I have samsung ssd for storage and overflow games. I ditched standard HD for this build. Why?

ah coolio - just some folk upgrade pc and still use a something causing a major Choke - Mechanical hard drive in a 5960x... haha!

Associate
Ran HW info instead of monitor and did a Cinebench CPU test. Core 0-5 maxed 45575.3-4600.3 core 6-11 4325.3-4375.3 seems more realistic than the HW Monitor claim of 6500.

As you said in your previous post, 6Ghz+ would sound like a bug, have you checked your board for a BIOS update? Been using HW Monitor for a while and never seen a reading over 4.6Ghz. 83c seems a tad hot, might be worth keeping an eye on and adjusting the fan profiles on your cooler if need be, admitidly with a bigger cooler I aim to keep mine under 70c whilst gaming and haven't sen it get any higher than 72c when benchmarking.

Hope you enjoy the CPU, it does seem to be a monster and I'm sure will last us a good number of years just like the 3770/4770K's before it.

Associate
As you said in your previous post, 6Ghz+ would sound like a bug, have you checked your board for a BIOS update? Been using HW Monitor for a while and never seen a reading over 4.6Ghz. 83c seems a tad hot, might be worth keeping an eye on and adjusting the fan profiles on your cooler if need be, admitidly with a bigger cooler I aim to keep mine under 70c whilst gaming and haven't sen it get any higher than 72c when benchmarking.

Hope you enjoy the CPU, it does seem to be a monster and I'm sure will last us a good number of years just like the 3770/4770K's before it.

Yeah I updated the bios to the latest as soon as I built it. I Think MSI are a little bit slower than Gigabyte or Asus to update though with the X570 chipset.

HW monitor also produced a different temperature with a max reading of 69c which I am a lot happier with than 83. But yes I need to play around with the fan profiles, at the minute everything on the PC is just set to auto.

Soldato
There seems to be a big variance in ryzen temps depending on software and I think it's because of where they take the readings from.

some will show you average temp of all sensors.

Some will show min temp of all the sensors

some will show the highest temp on any one sensors (just like the junction temp on Navi gpus)

both my AIO cooler and mobo have screens on them that show temp. At idle they are the same but under load the temp shown on the AIO screen is 10c higher than the temp in the MOBO screen because they are displaying temps from different sensor data

Associate
what CPU cooler are you guys using for 3900X? im leaning more towards the noctua nh-d15 but at the same time i wanna go AIO aswell.

Back
Top Bottom