Ryzen 3960x with NZXT Kraken x72

Associate
Hey,

I just finished putting a build together with a Ryzen Threadripper 3960x and NZXT x72 Watercooler with Thermaltake Ring Trios instead of the stock Fans.

mom getting idle temperatures of about 48 degrees and prime 95 is showing temperatures of around 88-89 degrees running the torture test. The processor is running at a stock frequency of 3.8Ghz.

Are these temperatures expected? I wanted to over clock this to 4 GHz and am scared I might be hitting high temps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Best Regards

Vishal

Never had a thread ripper
But 48c seems very high for idle
As for Prime95 what version number?
Any thing after 26 point something will run a lot hotter

Personally I don't use Prime95
I prefer to test with the actual things the pc will be using instead of torturing it way beyond what it will do in every day use

I'm using Prime95 29.8b6
Pretty sure then that will put temps higher
Something to do with the later versions and AVX instructions

Edited
Though when you think how many cores crammed in there 90c on a torture test isn't as bad as it sounds
Try something less extreme to see how high it goes
Run some loops of cine bench r20 or something

Last edited:
Due to the amount of cores idle power draw is going to be sizeable.

If you want idle temps in the 30s make sure the pump and fans are not ramping up and down with load, just run the pump at max rpm and fans at whatever rpm you are happy with 24/7.

Potentially, something I saw on r/AMD today: Some people were saying that most AIO on the market hav CPU base plates that is too small for TR4, as in the AIO does not make contact with the full die - this could also cause temperature problems. A custom loop with a proper cpu block that is designed for TR4 can work better.

Due to the amount of cores idle power draw is going to be sizeable.

If you want idle temps in the 30s make sure the pump and fans are not ramping up and down with load, just run the pump at max rpm and fans at whatever rpm you are happy with 24/7.

Potentially, something I saw on r/AMD today: Some people were saying that most AIO on the market hav CPU base plates that is too small for TR4, as in the AIO does not make contact with the full die - this could also cause temperature problems. A custom loop with a proper cpu block that is designed for TR4 can work better.
Yeah the x72 does have a circular base so that's a valid point
Though amd did certify it for threadripper
And its only couple degrees behind the enermax liqtech which I think does have a full tr4 cover block
But some real life testing temps would be useful rather than Prime95 torturing it way beyond what everyday use will,

Back
Top Bottom