Ryzen 5 3600 86c

Associate
Hi

My processor just hit 86c playing BFV for a few hours, using stock fan.. was told the stock fan is good enough to OC this CPU to 4.2 but apparently not, not in my room at least..

Can anyone recommend me a CPU fan please that would be better or am I just being an idiot and should underclock it back abit?

Many thanks

Associate
My experience of the stock HSF is that you should replace/upgrade it..

Better temps & acoustics / no ramping up and down of the fan when it's boosting @ idle etc.

Not to mention PBO performs better dependant on lower temps.

Associate
OP
I think I disabled pbo, that's the auto dynamic overclocking feature isn't it?
Im no experienced overclocker, I just followed a YouTube guide. Forced the cpu to 4200 and disabled pbo

I'll be sure to grab a new cooler I'm just trying to decide what my budget is, someone suggested the noctua but that's £50+

Associate
I think I disabled pbo, that's the auto dynamic overclocking feature isn't it?
Im no experienced overclocker, I just followed a YouTube guide. Forced the cpu to 4200 and disabled pbo

I'll be sure to grab a new cooler I'm just trying to decide what my budget is, someone suggested the noctua but that's £50+

Better off doing the opposite with Ryzen mate, let it do its thing. Do some tests yourself - try cinebench/whatever benchmarks are relevant for you with your current OC, save the bios settings profile, then try with PBO etc.

I think stock they boost 4.35ghz on some cores? **Edit, just checked and looks like my work PC with a 3600 boosts to 4.3Ghz.

Soldato
Ya if you switched off PBO you need to manage the Vcore rather than let CPU manage the Vcore.

your 4.2GHz is effectively an all core overclock. So I suspect the CPU is asking for a lot of juice.

Suspended
The stock fan is OK but you still need good air flow. and decent ambient temps.

86C is not dangerous though, I have one in my HTPC which reaches 80C but it only has a few 80mm fans for cooling.

Soldato
Im shocked how hot these run. My 1700 overclocked struggles to even get to 60c on linpack stress test.
Thought these 7nm cpus would run cooler
I think you will find the power consumption is on a different scale. Watt per watt 7nm runs way cooler than 14nm.

Soldato
Whys the op's 7nm running hotter than my 14nm then?
Mines pulling 110w in hwinfo when stressed.
Poor installation of cooler, bad HSF, bios setting has offset voltage or something is juicing more into CPU.

So many possible answers. The OP hasn’t exactly given the most comprehensive diagnostics of his system either.

a kettle runs hot, and should I compare it to 7nm zen cpu also now?

Associate
Voltage.
You may get better performance simply letting the CPU boost itself. The best bit you can actually help is fine tuning your voltage.
You don't need to be too aggressive with voltages, though.
A simple -0.1 offset would shave 10C under load here. -0.2 would shave more than 16C, but from -0.1 to -0.2 you may find points where stability is compromised, or performance is compromised (the chip may be cool enough to boost higher, but the voltage available isn't there).
And there's no magic recipe. Some CPUs would perform best with PBO on, while others won't All you can do is spend few hours testing.
The initial step would be PBO on and off.
Check temperatures.
Likely to be high temperatures with PBO on.
Them set an offset voltage, starting light, let's say -0.05, -0.1.
Temperatures spikes for Ryzen may be scary, but during gaming shouldn't stay constantly at 80C. I believe your current CPU isn't able/allowed to downclock when needed/possible, what causes the high temperatures you're seeing.
Unless you use your CPU for tasks where an all-core OC is better, the flexibility of boosting only when is required would give you better performance and better temperatures.
The 3600 is a 6C 12T CPU, and even the poor optimized BFV would require all it's cores to be at 4.2 to allow your GPU to perform.
My sig here, the 3090 would run out of gas before my 12 cores do, unless I force a scenario where the CPU would bottleneck the system (1080p low res).
Previous experience from other users here is that even 3080/3090 GPUs would be fine with their 3600/3700. A newer/faster CPU (or an OC in your case) may allow single digit performance gain, but unless your CPU is constantly at 100% and your GPU isn't, no point overclocking your CPU.

Soldato
Yea give clocks volts and some benches of your kettle too :rolleyes:

Op said hes on stock cooler overclocked to 4.2ghz and game temp is 86c so its gonna be higher in proper stress test
Morhpy Richards Cream Kettle - Stock 50Hz 3kW- cuppa in 60s with dash of milk and 2 spoon of sugar.

is that relavant to the temp of the 3700x nope, but then is your statement relevant? nope.

does OP have shown information on his step up - NOPE.

So kettle seems to be fitting in this topic as no one is comparing apple to apple or bother to understand why temps are high before making sweeping statements.

Soldato
You said 7nm runs cooler than 14nm but thats not the case here is it.
How do you know the OP HSF has been set up correctly? How do you know what his BIOS setting is? How do you know what his motherboard is actually pumping into the CPU? How do you know if the temp sensor is working properly? How do you know what his case ambient is like and how his computer overall airflow is like?

jumping to conclusions are we.

I can put a CPU under LN2 get negative temps does that mean that CPU is running cooler than than your 1700x? Hell no.

moronic statement at post #14

Back
Top Bottom